RE: [Unity_Games] Removing That Musty Smell From Game Boxes

  • Kornfeld, Lewis A
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
      I once found was asked to temporarily store a box of games is my car which
      was a hatch back at the time. It was July and the games were ripe with the
      odor of mildew. It was a hot July and I kept the windows closed when I was
      not driving the car, and the box was in direct sun light for much of the
      day. The odor started dissipating until it was completely gone in a week or
      two. Since then I have been advised by a chemical engineer that the
      ultraviolet rays of the sun is a very good disinfectant. Try putting the
      games out in direct sunlight on a hot day. Or you can even lock them in the
      car during the summer. There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
        Sure, but the UV will also fade the games... not a big deal for the average
        yard-sale find, but I've used the kitty litter technique on $200 games I
        certainly wouldn't put in the sunlight.

        I think it's also questionable whether this will work on the INSIDE of a
        game, unless you open it up and spread all the bits out.

        > I once found was asked to temporarily store a box of games is my car which
        > was a hatch back at the time. It was July and the games were ripe with the
        > odor of mildew. It was a hot July and I kept the windows closed when I was
        > not driving the car, and the box was in direct sun light for much of the
        > day. The odor started dissipating until it was completely gone in a week or
        > two. Since then I have been advised by a chemical engineer that the
        > ultraviolet rays of the sun is a very good disinfectant. Try putting the
        > games out in direct sunlight on a hot day. Or you can even lock them in the
        > car during the summer. There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

        Dan Blum tool@...
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          I can't find the link, but I once read an online guide
          about must and mold in books. They also recommended
          sunshine and fresh air. They also recommended
          vacuuming to get the loose bits of mold out. I tried
          it with some yard sale games and it helped, but did
          not solve the problem.

          I believe it said if there was visible mold, you would
          probably need to use some form of chemical to clean
          it.

          Eric

          --- "Kornfeld, Lewis A"

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            Lewis wrote:

            >There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

            The main thing I'd be afraid of is heat damage (warping) or fading of the
            components from exposure to the sun (the components are pretty old and
            somewhat faded to begin with).

            daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
            http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
          • Matthew Horn
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
              > They also recommended sunshine and fresh air. They also recommended
              > vacuuming to get the loose bits of mold out.

              The odd thing is, most of these techniques can be applied to your average gamer, too. Haven't tried the clumping kitty litter on Campbell, but will do so soon.

              matt
            • Dawn Townsend
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                Any tips as to how to remove the musty smell
                >easily. I don't want to spray the components - lots of cardboard and paper
                >stuff in the boxes which might be damaged. I've heard baking powder but
                >not
                >sure if that's good or just messy. Any tips?

                In the pet aisle of the supermarket they sell these charcoal filter things
                which are inside a plastic clip. They are supposed to be used around cat
                boxes- I use them, they work great! Maybe that would work?

                Dawn

              • Brian Stormont
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                  At 01:29 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, Dan Blum wrote:

                  >Once you've done that, get some clumping cat litter (preferably unscented)
                  >and a large box, and put the game components in the box such that each one is
                  >totally surrounded by litter. Then leave them there for a month or two.
                  >There are certain materials this won't work on but usually it's pretty
                  >effective.

                  Hmmm... I wonder if this cleaning technique would have worked for the game
                  of "Freedom in the Galaxy" a friend of mine had left set up in his
                  basement. We had interrupted play and left it to play on the following
                  weekend. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of stashing the unused
                  cardboard counters in the box top and his cat decided to use it as a litter
                  box. Ug!

                  Brian