Removing That Musty Smell From Game Boxes

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
      Sort of on-topic... went a yard-saleing this past weekend (good finds! Two
      Password editions that I was missing were 50 cents each and a couple of
      scrabble sets (not sure if they are complete, didn't care) for 25 cents each
      so I can take the wooden racks and use them for tile-drawing games like
      Acquire). Got a couple of older games that have a bit of a musty smell to
      them (you know the kind...). Any tips as to how to remove the musty smell
      easily. I don't want to spray the components - lots of cardboard and paper
      stuff in the boxes which might be damaged. I've heard baking powder but not
      sure if that's good or just messy. Any tips?

      daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
      http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
    • Dan Blum
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003

        > Sort of on-topic... went a yard-saleing this past weekend (good finds! Two
        > Password editions that I was missing were 50 cents each and a couple of
        > scrabble sets (not sure if they are complete, didn't care) for 25 cents each
        > so I can take the wooden racks and use them for tile-drawing games like
        > Acquire). Got a couple of older games that have a bit of a musty smell to
        > them (you know the kind...). Any tips as to how to remove the musty smell
        > easily. I don't want to spray the components - lots of cardboard and paper
        > stuff in the boxes which might be damaged. I've heard baking powder but not
        > sure if that's good or just messy. Any tips?

        Well, if there is dirt on the games (very common if they smell) you should
        clean them before trying to de-scent them. You can try using just a moist
        paper towel but I usually end up using Fantastik or something like that
        (test it on a corner to make sure it isn't going to take off the ink, and
        only use it on coated stock).

        Once you've done that, get some clumping cat litter (preferably unscented)
        and a large box, and put the game components in the box such that each one is
        totally surrounded by litter. Then leave them there for a month or two.
        There are certain materials this won't work on but usually it's pretty
        effective.

        Dan Blum tool@...
      • Joe Kidd
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
          Dan Blum wrote:
          > Once you've done that, get some clumping cat litter (preferably unscented)
          > and a large box, and put the game components in the box such that each one is
          > totally surrounded by litter. Then leave them there for a month or two.
          > There are certain materials this won't work on but usually it's pretty
          > effective.

          Once you've started that, I recommend not letting the cat near the box
          for that month.

          /J
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
            Dan wrote:

            > Once you've done that, get some clumping cat litter
            > (preferably unscented) and a large box, and put the
            > game components in the box such that each one is
            > totally surrounded by litter. Then leave them there
            > for a month or two. There are certain materials this
            > won't work on but usually it's pretty effective.

            I just happen to have a newly acquired cat that has adopted Jenn and I (the
            best and cutest cat in the world, I might add... though rather shy of new
            people) and have plenty of clumping unscented cat litter to try this
            suggestion. One of the games cost me a dime so if it doesn't work, not much
            would be lost anyway. I'll give it a try, thanks!

            daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
            http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
          • Kornfeld, Lewis A
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
              I once found was asked to temporarily store a box of games is my car which
              was a hatch back at the time. It was July and the games were ripe with the
              odor of mildew. It was a hot July and I kept the windows closed when I was
              not driving the car, and the box was in direct sun light for much of the
              day. The odor started dissipating until it was completely gone in a week or
              two. Since then I have been advised by a chemical engineer that the
              ultraviolet rays of the sun is a very good disinfectant. Try putting the
              games out in direct sunlight on a hot day. Or you can even lock them in the
              car during the summer. There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                Sure, but the UV will also fade the games... not a big deal for the average
                yard-sale find, but I've used the kitty litter technique on $200 games I
                certainly wouldn't put in the sunlight.

                I think it's also questionable whether this will work on the INSIDE of a
                game, unless you open it up and spread all the bits out.

                > I once found was asked to temporarily store a box of games is my car which
                > was a hatch back at the time. It was July and the games were ripe with the
                > odor of mildew. It was a hot July and I kept the windows closed when I was
                > not driving the car, and the box was in direct sun light for much of the
                > day. The odor started dissipating until it was completely gone in a week or
                > two. Since then I have been advised by a chemical engineer that the
                > ultraviolet rays of the sun is a very good disinfectant. Try putting the
                > games out in direct sunlight on a hot day. Or you can even lock them in the
                > car during the summer. There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

              • Eric Shultz
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                  I can't find the link, but I once read an online guide
                  about must and mold in books. They also recommended
                  sunshine and fresh air. They also recommended
                  vacuuming to get the loose bits of mold out. I tried
                  it with some yard sale games and it helped, but did
                  not solve the problem.

                  I believe it said if there was visible mold, you would
                  probably need to use some form of chemical to clean
                  it.

                  Eric

                  --- "Kornfeld, Lewis A"

                  http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                    Lewis wrote:

                    >There is no chemicals involved and no kitty litter.

                    The main thing I'd be afraid of is heat damage (warping) or fading of the
                    components from exposure to the sun (the components are pretty old and
                    somewhat faded to begin with).

                    daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
                    http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
                  • Matthew Horn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                      > They also recommended sunshine and fresh air. They also recommended
                      > vacuuming to get the loose bits of mold out.

                      The odd thing is, most of these techniques can be applied to your average gamer, too. Haven't tried the clumping kitty litter on Campbell, but will do so soon.

                      matt
                    • Dawn Townsend
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                        Any tips as to how to remove the musty smell
                        >easily. I don't want to spray the components - lots of cardboard and paper
                        >stuff in the boxes which might be damaged. I've heard baking powder but
                        >not
                        >sure if that's good or just messy. Any tips?

                        In the pet aisle of the supermarket they sell these charcoal filter things
                        which are inside a plastic clip. They are supposed to be used around cat
                        boxes- I use them, they work great! Maybe that would work?

                        Dawn

                      • Brian Stormont
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 4, 2003
                          At 01:29 PM 6/4/2003 -0400, Dan Blum wrote:

                          >Once you've done that, get some clumping cat litter (preferably unscented)
                          >and a large box, and put the game components in the box such that each one is
                          >totally surrounded by litter. Then leave them there for a month or two.
                          >There are certain materials this won't work on but usually it's pretty
                          >effective.

                          Hmmm... I wonder if this cleaning technique would have worked for the game
                          of "Freedom in the Galaxy" a friend of mine had left set up in his
                          basement. We had interrupted play and left it to play on the following
                          weekend. Unfortunately, he made the mistake of stashing the unused
                          cardboard counters in the box top and his cat decided to use it as a litter
                          box. Ug!

                          Brian