Time Control

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2003
      > Time Control
      >
      > Players were Dave, Ralph, Matt, myself. New players to the game were:
      > Dave, Ralph, Matt, myself.

      <big snip>

      > Am I doomed to repeat the rules without ever playing the game? This
      > time, knowing the rules better, I tried to go over them along with a
      > dry run of the game.
      >
      > Matt kept incredulously whining about not grasping the rules. Ralph
      > was drawn in to Matt's attitude about the game. Dave, to his credit,
      > was open to try the game.
      >
      > So, once again, I didn't draw people to try this game. What am I doing
      > wrong?

      I can tell you that a big part of the problem for me was in my expectations
      for the game. You introduced it as a real-time game, which I guess it is, at
      least in part. But for me, a real-time game should be played fast and loose,
      and the rules should not get in the way. This game had WAY too many rules,
      given my expectations of a fast-playing, hectic-paced game. I was expecting
      something like Brawl, and I got something like Magic Realm. (OK, that might
      be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.)

      My suggestion, next time you try to get people to play this, is to
      completely ignore the real-time aspect of the game, at least for a turn or
      two. Then, if there is interest, you can start playing simultaneously.

      The theme is appealing, but it was just a denser game than I was expecting
      (and honestly, possibly a bit fidlier than I'd be interested in playing even
      with proper expectations.)

      Oh, and Matt whines about not grasping the rules for 6 Nimmt!, so I wouldn't
      read too much into his attitude toward the game.
      -David
      David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
      dfontes@...