Re: [Unity_Games] Merchants of Amsterdam (was Monthly Stats for May 2003)

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      MoA is one of those games I could never warm up to. I'm not sure why
      because I like some of the mechanics. Maybe its the artwork and colors (I
      found them garish even if they are color blind friendly (or perhaps because
      they are?)) or maybe it's that in the half dozen games I've played most
      people tended to overbid so sitting on your hands (not all that fun) was
      the best tactic. I suspect that among players that are experienced with
      the game it could be quite tense (I love the race aspect coupled with
      diminishing returns). Another thing I didn't like is that money handling
      was such a large part of the game, it seemed like an exercise for bank tellers.

      Mark

      It's okay, Marge. I've learned my lesson. A mountain of sugar is too much
      for one man. It's clear now why God portions it out in those tiny packets
      and why he lives on a plantation in Hawaii.
    • Josh Bluestein
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        > From: "flyingsheep" <flyingsheep@...>

        > From: "Dave Bernazzani" <daveber@...>
        > >> Game of the month: Merchants of Amsterdam
        > >
        > >Has your auction clock broken yet?

        > We were playing with Josh's copy of the game, although I'd like to
        > add it to my collection. Is the clock particularly fragile? I didn't
        > think that it added that much to the game (which is not to say that
        > the clock isn't a nifty idea).

        I've heard of them breaking. So far, I've been lucky, but my copy
        hasn't been used too many times yet.

        I have a theory that if you're careful when winding it, it will last a
        lot longer. Specifically, all that's required is a finger to move it
        around to the start position -- I've seen some people press and turn,
        which seems to be harder and my assumption is that it puts more strain
        on the mechanism. (Now that I think on't, it probably is a good idea
        to leave the clock in fully run-down position when you're done
        playing...hmm...must check on that when I get home.)

        Josh