Re: [Unity_Games] Merchants of Amsterdam (was Monthly Stats for May 2003)

  • flyingsheep
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
      From: "Dave Bernazzani" <daveber@...>
      >> Game of the month: Merchants of Amsterdam
      >
      >Has your auction clock broken yet?

      We were playing with Josh's copy of the game, although I'd like to add it to my collection. Is the clock particularly fragile? I didn't think that it added that much to the game (which is not to say that the clock isn't a nifty idea).

      .chip
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        >Is the clock particularly fragile?

        Mine broke in 1 day. Got a free replacement - it appears Jumbo was having
        so many problems with the clocks that they were offering free ones for a
        while when the game first came out.

        daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
        http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
          MoA is one of those games I could never warm up to. I'm not sure why
          because I like some of the mechanics. Maybe its the artwork and colors (I
          found them garish even if they are color blind friendly (or perhaps because
          they are?)) or maybe it's that in the half dozen games I've played most
          people tended to overbid so sitting on your hands (not all that fun) was
          the best tactic. I suspect that among players that are experienced with
          the game it could be quite tense (I love the race aspect coupled with
          diminishing returns). Another thing I didn't like is that money handling
          was such a large part of the game, it seemed like an exercise for bank tellers.

          Mark

          It's okay, Marge. I've learned my lesson. A mountain of sugar is too much
          for one man. It's clear now why God portions it out in those tiny packets
          and why he lives on a plantation in Hawaii.
        • Josh Bluestein
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
            > From: "flyingsheep" <flyingsheep@...>

            > From: "Dave Bernazzani" <daveber@...>
            > >> Game of the month: Merchants of Amsterdam
            > >
            > >Has your auction clock broken yet?

            > We were playing with Josh's copy of the game, although I'd like to
            > add it to my collection. Is the clock particularly fragile? I didn't
            > think that it added that much to the game (which is not to say that
            > the clock isn't a nifty idea).

            I've heard of them breaking. So far, I've been lucky, but my copy
            hasn't been used too many times yet.

            I have a theory that if you're careful when winding it, it will last a
            lot longer. Specifically, all that's required is a finger to move it
            around to the start position -- I've seen some people press and turn,
            which seems to be harder and my assumption is that it puts more strain
            on the mechanism. (Now that I think on't, it probably is a good idea
            to leave the clock in fully run-down position when you're done
            playing...hmm...must check on that when I get home.)

            Josh