Re: [Unity_Games] More Bohnanza!

  • John P. Cataldo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
      >>The standard offer is something like, "I'll give you this coffee bean
      >>now for choice of your next flip".
      >
      > If someone made me an offer like that in Bohnanza, I'd probably
      > reply something like "No deal, but I'll tell you what
      > I'll do---I'll offer to take that coffee bean off your hands
      > right now in exchange for absolutely nothing". And most of
      > the time, this offer gets accepted! If no-one takes the
      > coffee bean, you would have to plant it, and that would
      > usually be bad for you. Your gain from not being required
      > to harvest prematurely to plant a coffee bean is
      > often as great or greater as my gain from getting
      > one more coffee bean. Sometimes you should owe me
      > something, rather than the other way around, if I
      > take a bean off your hands!

      These things are all true. There are certainly plenty of free beans
      going around, and there ARE the occasional deals where someone pays
      someone else to take the deadbeat cocoa or garden bean.

      But my group is both friendlier in one way and meaner in another,
      apparently, than yours. For one thing, there's usually someone else who
      is at least willing to take whatever the bean is. This may be a factor
      of playing with many players, or a factor of people being somewhat
      willing to spite someone else to hurt themselves; that is, I'll take the
      coffee bean even though I'm not in coffee, just so YOU can't have it for
      free. And since you have coffee and I don't, the current trader would
      rather give it to me, since it apparently helps me less.

      Additionally, people are occasionally willing to be spiteful when
      trading, and if no one offers any goods, they'll just rip up their own
      stuff rather than give it away.

      None of these things happens all the time, but trading "future flips" is
      very common, especially when there are competitors who both want the
      bean. And trading a future flip will rarely hurt you, and usually the
      person doesn't want the any bean anyway -- so you DID get something for
      nothing, along with some good will.

      --
      John