SR: GiP 5/31 - Prototype, Zircus Flohcati, Amun Re

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      Roll Call: Tami, Brian, Larry, Allan and Mark

      Tami found the UG list via the Board Games Meetup page (where I'd
      forgotten I'd placed a link!) and dropped in to The Game Keeper to play on
      Saturday. She's actually looking for an RPG group in the area, but enjoys
      board games also.

      Prototype: Tami, Brian, Larry, Allan and Mark
      First up was a prototype that Larry's FaceToFace Games is looking
      at. There were some interesting ideas but it didn't quite work. Needs
      more time in the oven.

      Amun Re: Tami, Brian, Larry, Allan and Mark
      After a quick (well we were gabbing a bit) lunch we settled on Amun Re
      for our next game. Tami was a quick study so we were up and running in no
      time. In fact she was so quick to learn and grasp what was going on that
      she was in the lead at the end of the first kingdom (I was dead last).
      Nobody seemed happy with the course the second kingdom took (except
      perhaps Tami) and when the final scores were tallied the new gal (young
      lady?) took the win! Larry had correctly predicted his drop from tied for
      first in the 1st kingdom to 2nd to last at the end and Brian correctly
      predicted his last place finish. The only incorrect prediction came from
      me, I figured I'd be in either of those spots but got extremely fortunate
      on the final bidding for Amun Re in that not only did I get the 3 actions
      but the value for temples crept up to 3 (I had 3 of them).

      Final Scores:
      Tami: 41
      Allan: 40 (a very quiet 40, he almost came away with the win)
      Mark: 38
      Larry: 37
      Brian: 31?

      It was a good close game, much closer than I expected. The big
      strategy in this game seemed to be lowballing for regions coupled with LOTS
      of temple building. There were only a few winning bids above 10 gold. It
      was a fairly cash poor game also as bidding for Amun Re seldom got above
      the 2 slot and so farmers never produced a lot of income.

      Mark

      'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole town,
      'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
      'N' is for "no survivors"...

      -- Plankton
    • Yatcher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        > perhaps Tami) and when the final scores were tallied the new gal
        (young
        > lady?)

        whatever you call me is fine... I'm 32, and (by my count at least),
        past the point of caring if I'm called gal, girl, lady, woman, or
        whatever. :-)

        Tami
      • Brian Stormont
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
          At 01:31 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, Mark Edwards wrote:
          [regarding Amun Re]
          >Final Scores:
          >Tami: 41
          >Allan: 40 (a very quiet 40, he almost came away with the win)
          >Mark: 38
          >Larry: 37
          >Brian: 31?
          >
          > It was a good close game

          Yes, it was a very close game. I was thinking about how just one gold less
          in the offering could have changed things dramatically. Temples would have
          been only worth 2, farm income would have been reduced, and some poor sap
          who came in last would have instead netted an extra 15 income for camels,
          probably taking the most money award. Too bad I realized this *after* I
          contributed all my money to the offering.
          (Ha! And you thought my whining *during* the game was bad....)

          Hmmm... come to think of it, the previous time we played the end positions
          were determined by the final offering and Mark was the one who would have
          won had he not offered so much.

          Just goes to show that last offering can win or lose the game for ya.

          Cheers,
          Brian