SR: GSG 5/27 & GiP 5/24 - Sackson prototype, Save the President, Proclaim! and The Really Nasty Horse Race Game

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 1 , May 29, 2003
      Even though I shouldn't be dallying with such stuff, here's a SR…

      GiP: 5/24

      Roll Call: Larry, Brian and Mark

      Sackson Prototype: Larry, Brian and Mark

      Not long after we started I recognized this prototype as Buried Treasure
      (or Das Super Blatt). It's definitely neat playing Sid's hand made
      prototypes. The theme was about spirits? There were orangos, rednicks and
      some other weird names involving colors.

      This is definitely a game for those that like to plan ahead. Then again
      there's quite a bit of chaos involved and positions can change completely
      in a heartbeat. I'm not sure it would appeal to the planner types because
      of the chaos. Larry won going away.

      Save the President: Larry, Brian and Mark

      Brian finally cracked and bought one of the copies of this game from
      Larry's shelf. It smelled a bit musty and the references to the "Soviets"
      as the enemy dated it (1984).

      The board is truly hideous to look at and there's simply too much
      information crammed on there. There's even stuff on there for yet to be
      released expansions!

      Check out the pics on BGG (thanks to Brian for uploading them!):
      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewitem.php3?gameid=6486

      Once you get by the board and some confusing rules there's actually a game
      there. It's sort of like Bang! in the sense that some folks are good guys,
      some are bad, but no one knows which. The Soviet players are out to
      assassinate the president during his journey from the White House to the
      Capitol. The US players are obviously there to save him. Each player has
      6 agents which they send scurrying around the board. The agents can
      capture other player's agents and/or take shots at the prez.

      The president ambles along in his car in a semi-random trip across the
      board. The bad guys try to "triangulate" (see the board) on the president
      by occupying vertices of various triangles in which he resides. The
      smaller the triangle and the fewer opposing agents occupying the triangle's
      vertices, the better the odds of a successful shot.

      The game enters a new phase once the president has reached the Capitol
      safely or has been killed. At this point the Soviet agents attempt to
      escape the scene.

      The Soviet player gets points for successfully wounding/killing the prez,
      capturing US agents, and successfully exiting agents at game's end. All
      the US players get points if the prez survives and points for each Soviet
      agent they capture. There's also a way for a US player to turn traitor and
      help the Soviet player off the president in order to get some points.

      The game didn't work too well with 3 players; somewhat because Brian tipped
      his hand a bit early and so Larry and I effectively cordoned him off from
      the president and captured his agents whenever we could. He actually had a
      slight chance at getting a good shot off at the president as the prez
      approached his destination and Larry and I had let our guard down to run
      around and capture agents. Alas it wasn't in the cards. Oh yeah, there
      are cards which allow you to do special stuff, beam across the board, lay
      traps, take control of routes, etc.

      I believe I took the win. I'd like to try StP with 4-6 players before I
      make any judgment on it.

      Hey Allan, where were you!?!

      GSG: 5/27

      Roll Call: Bob, Phil, Dan, Bruce, Brian and Mark

      Thanks Bruce for bringing my games!!!

      Proclaim!: Bob, Phil, Dan, Bruce, Brian and Mark

      Another one of Bruce's "parlor" games hit the table. I owed him, so we
      played. This one is sort of a multiplayer, every man for himself, version
      of Password. On your turn you look at a word on a card and try to give one
      word clues so that other player(s) will guess it. If they do you and they
      get points, the more players that guess correctly (everyone secretly writes
      their answers) the fewer the points, and the more clues it takes the fewer
      points. So what you want is to give an obscure clue so that only one
      person will get the correct answer as soon as possible. Oh you also get
      points as the clue giver if everyone guessed wrong and all their answers
      are unique. There are also some funky "Proclaim!" spaces on the board.

      Fans of Password might enjoy it.

      The Really Nasty Horse Race Game: Bob, Phil, Dan, Bruce, Brian and Mark

      Brian has been unsuccessful pushing Turfmaster so this time he tried a new
      angle on a racing game.

      There are 6 races to be raced, each award a different amount to the winner
      (and 2nd and 3rd). The values have quite a range so some races are more
      important than others. Each player has six horses, valued 1-6. The 1
      horse is the best, the 6 the worst. He assigns each horse to one of the races.

      At the start of each race pole positions are randomly determined and then
      odds are calculated. Basically you multiple the horses value times its
      pole position in order to get its odds of winning. The odds here aren't
      particularly scientific, but who ever said handicapping is a science? The
      odds are written up (using dry erase marker not grease pencils!) on this
      neat stand up cardboard chart for all to see. A nice twist here is that
      then you get to bet on one of the horses, not necessarily your own. So
      those long shot 20-1 horses get some action since the payoffs are huge.

      The races are very simple, roll a die and move. The #1 horse has 6 spaces
      on the board where if it lands there it gets an extra move, #2 has 5
      spaces, etc.… while the #6 horse only has 1 space on the board that gives
      it that bonus. There are also obstacles on the board, hedges and little
      brooks. They're actually quite harmless, except for one thing…there are
      cards to be played!

      Each player receives 3 cards at the start of the game. One of the most
      basic cards allows you to take a horse OUT of a race if it's in the
      appropriate hedge row. Other cards allow you to mess with the finish of
      the race (Stewards Enquiry and Objection), as well as cards that allow you
      to mess with a horse's movement during the race.

      The net result is a very NASTY game. We loved it! Well, most of us did,
      both Bruce and Phil aren't the biggest fans of games with heavy dice
      rolling involved but they did enjoy themselves. It's also a VERY chaotic
      game. Bob went from penniless to millionaire in one race (despite all his
      efforts to prevent this). I scored big on the same race. I was spending
      cards (eliminating 3 horses with one card!) to facilitate this as I wanted
      my horse to win and I had bet on myself too. The odd part was the Bob
      wanted me to win too, but he forgot that he'd bet on my horse! So he raced
      to the finish line ahead of me instead of dogging it or eliminating his own
      horse when he could've. Luckily for him I had the "Steward's Enquiry" card
      that allowed me to drop his horse out of the race and 1st place if I rolled
      doubles (which I did). My horse was something like a 20-1 shot and so he
      raked in over a mil on the deal while I brought in 680k.

      The last race was mostly a wash for most of us (I won the race but lost my
      bet).

      Final Scores: (going from memory, Phil can correct em)
      Bob: £1075
      Mark: £680
      Bruce: £630
      Dan: £240?
      Phil: £20?
      Brian: £5?

      We'll definitely have to play this one again, although I do think it has
      some flaws. For one it's probably too long for what it is, especially
      given the chaos factor. Three races would probably suffice (I'd love to
      introduce an auction concept into which horses you'd start with). The way
      we played you only got 3 cards to work with the entire game. That seems a
      bit too static in terms of what you're allowed to work with. But we
      reckoned that drawing more cards between races or something would be
      totally whacky. Perhaps a card exchange at the end of each race?

      Next week we're at Bob's place in Plainville. As soon as Bob sends me
      directions I'll forward em to those that are interested in coming.