Re: [Unity_Games] german pronunciations...

  • Mark J. Dulcey
    Message 1 of 6 , May 29, 2003
      Matthew Horn wrote:
      > can anyone tell me how to pronounce the following two words?
      >
      > Heiß
      > Häßlich

      The first is like "mice", except with an H at the beginning.

      The second is close to "hess-leash". The A-with-umlaut sound is sort of
      between the English long A and short E, and the I is sort of between the
      English short I and long E. Finally, the CH sound is most commonly a
      slightly hard English SH sound, but it can be a harder guttral CH sound
      (a sound with no equivalent in English) in some dialects.

      As somebody else already pointed out, the character that looks like the
      Greek letter beta, known as an ess-zett or scharfes s in German, is a
      stand-in for a double S.

      I found a site with examples of how to pronounce German:
      http://www.wm.edu/CAS/modlang/gasmit/pronunciation/pronunce.html
      According to that site, "The letters ss and ß (called scharfes s) are
      equivalent. The ss is used when the preceding vowel is short and the ß
      when the preceding vowel is long." I will note, however, that online
      content frequently uses ss in all contexts, because the ß is hard to
      type on non-German keyboard layouts.