SR: SSG Oct 28th, 2000 - Craig's POV

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
      --- Mark Edwards <dangermouse@...> wrote:
      > Modern Art: Jonathan, Lisa, Dave, Craig and Mark
      >
      > We played with the variant that the one double
      > auction card was dealt out to each player at the
      > beginning of the first 2 rounds.
      >
      > The more I play this game the more I realize how
      > much of a gamer�s game this is. It�s just brutal,
      > what you should pay, calculating the expected value,
      > who you can overpay, how many paintings are still
      > out there, when to auction which kind of painting
      > based on what paintings your opponents have bought,
      > etc.

      I agree, this is a gamer's game and one that is a bit
      brutal.

      > Dave is probably the hardest worker I�ve ever seen
      > in this game, he tries to milk every last penny for
      > any painting he offers. Craig, like Lisa, was a
      > maniac buyer also. Of course almost everyone is a
      > spend thrift in this game to my eyes. As Jonathan
      > pointed out I�m a bit too conservative, unwilling to
      > give away more money than I�ll make very often, even
      > when I can afford to. In this game I bought a total
      > of *2* paintings the ENTIRE game!!! I did bid a
      > lot, but Lisa just refused to let me have anything!
      > ;-)

      I did spend too much on paintings, although, I find
      that buying a lot of paintings in the first round is a
      good strategy to pursue in general. I totally got
      caught up in bidding wars with Jonathan and Lisa all
      nite as I perceived both of them to be winning,
      especially Jonathan. It didn't work and it probably
      helped push Jonathan over the edge.

      > I came in a distant second, which I was only mildly
      > surprised at. I think Craig and Lisa were over
      > bidding a bit throughout the game and the final
      > round crushed Dave (my fault) when his two lone (and
      > expensive) purchases that round failed to yield any
      > money whatsoever.

      The last round didn't help my cause either as I lost a
      painting as well - a Yoko which I probably paid too
      much for.

      > I�d love to play this game and just talk about what
      > is going on, perhaps even with open money. Just so
      > I can kibitz with the other players on the game
      > play. I find its nuances fascinating, and a little
      > frustrating, as I know I�m not very good at it.

      I need to play this game more - it is a great bidding
      game - possibly the best one out there.

      > I also think a table of seasoned veterans at this
      > game would have a great time matching wits. There�s
      > just so much going on in this wonderful system. I
      > think it is one of Knizia�s best designs.
      >
      > However, in the end, I think it�s a bit too much of
      > a gamer�s game for me to truly call it a favorite.

      It's not a favorite for me either, but it is probably
      makes my top 10 if I really considered it.

      > Exxtra: Same crew.
      >
      > On the other end of the Knizia�s spectrum of games
      > is this one. It�s a dice fest, fun in the same way
      > Can�t Stop is, but a dice fest. Lisa won this one.

      Total dicefest - Quick and lite fun, but I think I
      enjoy Can't Stop more.

      > Ra: Same crew.
      >
      > Somewhere between Modern Art and Exxtra lies Ra.
      > More thought and strategy involved than Exxtra, but
      > still tons of luck. We failed somewhat in Speed Ra
      > version of it. A couple of people were taking a bit
      > of time on their moves it seems. I was completely
      > out of this one, I believe I finished 1 point ahead
      > of Lisa to stay out of the basement. Jonathan won.

      I'm still not sure why this game ranks so highly for
      so many people, but I'm enjoying it more and more,
      mostly due to the fact that it is deeper than it
      appears, but is light enough that it is easily taught
      and learned and accessible to non-gamers.

      > Palmyra: Craig, Andrew and myself (Mark)

      > At one point Andrew was 100+ points ahead of Craig
      > and I, but he had all of one good left. In the
      > third and final round he bought up green on the
      > cheap. I had split my holdings between red and
      > green, but didn�t have the cards to effectively
      > boost either (I had all negative cards). Andrew
      > managed to boost green up into the profitability
      > area, while Craig and I desperately tried to close
      > the gap.

      I need to try this one again. One game was too little
      for me to have any strong opinion on it other than I
      liked the price fixing mechanism. Andrew seemed to
      get the hang of it quickly enough and I did hang on to
      yellows for too long. In the last round I had a lot
      of negative cards too and the only positive ones I had
      were for yellow which was hammered by Andrew to
      quickly for me to counteract.

      > Pit: Andrew, Dave, Jonathan, Jenn, David, Alison,
      > Craig and Mark
      >
      > Well I barely beat out Craig for the bottom of the
      > standings again! But if there�s one game where the
      > winning or losing means absolutely nothing, Pit is
      > it. We had a barrel of laughs with it. At one
      > point Dave had spasmodically rung the bell
      > mistakenly believing he had completed a set. Well
      > he couldn�t because he had the Bear in his hand. So
      > we continued on and he did it again! And then he
      > did it yet again! The third time left me in
      > convulsions as I had just traded with him and had
      > given him the Bear so I KNEW he couldn�t possibly
      > have a set! The freeze frame of Dave hovering over
      > and pouncing on the bell and then realizing he was
      > screwed is a priceless memory I�ll not soon forget.
      > I haven�t laughed that hard since the last SSG Pit
      > session. I have no idea who won, I think it was
      > Alison.

      My sides hurt on the way home from laughing so hard.
      Watching Jenn lunge across the table as I snatched the
      bell and watching Dave ring the damn bell when he knew
      that he didnt' have a complete suit was absolutely
      hysterical. And then there is jonathan who wouldn't
      trade the last corn, because he thought is was a
      coffee. I must have tried to trade for the last corn
      for the better part or that hand - AAARRGGHH! It was
      the participants who made the game so damn
      entertaining.

      Great session as usual.

      craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://im.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2000
        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

        >> Palmyra: Craig, Andrew and myself (Mark)
        > [snip]
        >
        >I need to try this one again. One game was too little
        >for me to have any strong opinion on it other than I
        >liked the price fixing mechanism. Andrew seemed to
        >get the hang of it quickly enough and I did hang on to
        >yellows for too long. In the last round I had a lot
        >of negative cards too and the only positive ones I had
        >were for yellow which was hammered by Andrew to
        >quickly for me to counteract.

        Hey Mark (or Craig/Andrew)... how did the replacement amphoras
        work out for this? They looked great and very stable (if a bit
        oversized). Did you say you found a source for them? The ones
        supplied with the game are neat but are always tipping over...

        dber@...