that Tolkien quote

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2000
      About a month ago, I asked if anyone could help me locate a specific quote
      from Lord of the Rings. Thanks to those (Craig and Dan C. and any others I
      may be forgetting) who asked if I could narrow it down, so that they could
      help. But I couldn't narrow it down; I only "knew" that it came toward the
      end.

      In fact, it's only slightly further through than halfway, in the second
      chapter of the fourth book (which is the second half of the second volume,
      The Two Towers - I hope that clears things up).

      For helpful and otherwise interested people, here are Frodo's exact words:
      I don't know how long we shall take to - to finish... We were miserably
      delayed in the hills. But Samwise Gamgee, my dear hobbit - indeed, Sam my
      dearest hobbit, friend of friends - I do not think we need give thought to
      what comes after that. To do the job as you put it - what hope is there that
      we ever shall? And if we do, who knows what will come of that? If the One
      goes into the Fire, and we are at hand? I ask you, Sam, are we ever likely to
      need bread again? I think not. If we can nurse our limbs to bring us to Mount
      Doom, that is all we can do. More than I can, I being to feel.

      It's sort of on-topic, given that a certain game is highly anticipated at the
      moment...

      Andrew.