Game Ratings: I think I'm beginning to see what mine mean

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2000
      More and more, when I'm trying to describe my reaction to a game, the
      question is: did I feel involved in the game? And it strikes me that, if I
      answer yes, I probably rated the game 8 or higher, and if I answer no, I
      probably rated it 7 or lower.

      Extending this by thinking of other reactions to games I feel, the adjctives
      that occur to me are: absorbed (the level above involved); interested (the
      level below); uninterested.

      Hey, this fits:
      absorbed = 9, e.g., La Citta yesterday evening
      involved = 8, e.g., Palmyra yesterday evening
      interested = 7
      uninterested = 6

      That leaves 10 for games that are even better than games that are even better
      than "just absorbing" (e.g., E&T).
      It also leaves 5 and below that are (for me) worse than "uninteresting"
      (e.g., Lord of the Leprechauns).

      It also leaves the halves for games that come somewhere in between
      categories. For example, many Kramer games are 7.5s. They don't quite involve
      me, much though I might admire them; I think I'd give Princes of Florence a
      7.5 most times.

      Your milage may of course vary. For example, I know that Alison's milage
      varies from mine. Even if she used the same mapping between numbers and words
      (and there's no reason why she should), her ratings of La Citta and Princes
      of Florence would be very different from mine.

      OK, that's enough retrospective sense-making for now.

      Yours snowily,

      Andrew.

      ps One of the advantages of not having a car is that the good people who give
      you rides to your home or to the T are also interesting to chat with. Thanks
      to all who have provided such transport and conversation. The above thoughts
      followed a chat with Jonathan on the way back from SSG last night/this
      morning. But only in this very limited sense is he to blame for the above :)