Recruiting for a Saturday game

  • Josh Bluestein
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2 8:13 AM
      I'm going to have some free time on Saturday the 17th of May, and so
      am looking to do some sort of gaming thing.

      I'd like to see if I can drum up interest in one of the following, in
      order of my personal preference:

      1) History of the World (takes up to 6) -- I haven't played this in
      ages, and it seems to be too long for an evening game.

      2) Die Macher (takes up to 5) -- always up for this

      3) 1830 (takes up to 6) -- old classic

      4) Something else -- Convince me!

      I was thinking something like a late morning start, say 10:00 or
      11:00, going to mid-to-late afternoon depending on the game and the
      play. HotW would probably be the shortest play, 1830 probably the
      longest.

      Let me know!

      Josh
    • Mark J. Dulcey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2 12:17 PM
        Josh Bluestein wrote:
        > I'm going to have some free time on Saturday the 17th of May, and so
        > am looking to do some sort of gaming thing.
        >
        > I'd like to see if I can drum up interest in one of the following, in
        > order of my personal preference:
        >
        > 1) History of the World (takes up to 6) -- I haven't played this in
        > ages, and it seems to be too long for an evening game.
        >
        > 2) Die Macher (takes up to 5) -- always up for this
        >
        > 3) 1830 (takes up to 6) -- old classic
        >
        > 4) Something else -- Convince me!
        >
        > I was thinking something like a late morning start, say 10:00 or
        > 11:00, going to mid-to-late afternoon depending on the game and the
        > play. HotW would probably be the shortest play, 1830 probably the
        > longest.

        I might well be interested... where? I know HotW and 1830; I've never played Die Macher.

        As for numbers, HotW is really best with the full 6 players. 1830 is better with 4 or at most 5; 6 is a very tough game that I only recommend to 18xx experts.
      • Josh Bluestein
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 12:55 PM
          > From: "Mark J. Dulcey" <mark@...>
          > Josh Bluestein wrote:
          > > I'm going to have some free time on Saturday the 17th of May, and so
          > > am looking to do some sort of gaming thing.
          > >
          > > I'd like to see if I can drum up interest in one of the following, in
          > > order of my personal preference:
          > >
          > > 1) History of the World (takes up to 6) -- I haven't played this in
          > > ages, and it seems to be too long for an evening game.
          > >
          > > 2) Die Macher (takes up to 5) -- always up for this
          > >
          > > 3) 1830 (takes up to 6) -- old classic
          > >
          > > 4) Something else -- Convince me!
          > >
          > > I was thinking something like a late morning start, say 10:00 or
          > > 11:00, going to mid-to-late afternoon depending on the game and the
          > > play. HotW would probably be the shortest play, 1830 probably the
          > > longest.

          > I might well be interested... where?

          Kind of an important point, isn't it?

          I live in Westford -- ~25 miles northwest of Boston.

          > I know HotW and 1830; I've never played Die Macher.

          > As for numbers, HotW is really best with the full 6 players. 1830 is
          > better with 4 or at most 5; 6 is a very tough game that I only
          > recommend to 18xx experts.

          Good to know. I like HotW with the full complement, Die Macher as
          well (although I imagine it would do fine with four as well).

          My only play of 1830 thus far was with three players, and I felt it
          lacked a certain...dynamicness. So I'll probably cap 1830 at five,
          just to be on the safe side.

          Josh