SR: South Shore Gamers - 4/28

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
      A nice turnout at SSG last night with a few surprise guests. I met new-guy
      John at the first GAGA event a couple months ago... and we saw him again at
      the GAGA at the Borders last month. He's a minis guy who also enjoys
      boardgaming and has been enjoyable to have at the game table and he made his
      first trip down to SSG last night. We also had semi-irregular Eric (no, the
      other one though I can not recall his last name at the moment) who has been
      to SSG before but is an infrequent visitor. And last but not least Pitt was
      there in all his.. er... glory. Pitt's been to SSG numerous times back when
      it was held at the St. John's Church hall but not to the B&N cafe. Nice to
      see the new(er) folks! Hopefully we can get new-guy John up to Unity Games
      6 (I'll assume Eric is already going and I know Pitt is going).

      And plenty of regulars as well. Dave, Eric, Lucy, David, Pete, Joe (who now
      only strongly dislikes Wizard), Mike and myself.

      I arrived just in time as they were starting up with a little King Lui (aka
      King's Breakfast - the American-ized name) and we played with 6 (although
      the box says 2-5 it does work reasonably well with 6 though I think 5 or
      fewer is best). I tried to pay attention to cards taken but Pitt was his
      usual distracting self and I came up short. I think Pitt may have won but a
      single point over Eric. I tied Lucy for third.

      Next up was Paris, Paris. I own the game but had not played before. Eric
      (no, the other one) and Pitt, however, had played and were willing to get
      newbies John and myself up to speed. This is from the same designer as Web
      of Power which grew (over time) to become one of my favorite 45 minute
      mid-weight games. I enjoyed Paris, Paris quite a bit though I was terrible.
      My secret marker was the orange-tour line and I spent way too much effort
      trying to secure that line for the final scoring. In a 4P game all but 1 of
      the lines gets scored so it was really not very useful to work so hard on
      one line - I should have worked to take up more valuable intersections. The
      game played out in less than 45 minutes (after rules explanation) and it was
      a close race between Pitt and Eric with Eric coming out 5 points on top. I
      was dead last - a pretty fair distance between me and John. The two
      experienced players were near the top, the new players near the bottom -
      just as it should be! A nice dose of luck mixed with some skill makes this
      a likely fine game for me. I don't think it's near the caliber of Web of
      Power, but still nice. Hopefully I'll improve.

      The other table was busy with Carcassonne with new Builders&Traders
      expansion so Pitt brought out Die Dracheninsel for our table and we were
      joined by Joe. I played this with Pitt at the Gathering and really enjoyed
      it - but this playing was even better. It's a high-screwage game of
      collecting treasures from the center of an island and then try to move them
      back into your boat. The catch is that no single player can move a
      treasure - it requires two and so there are lots of partnerships forming,
      dissolving, being broken apart and lots of other mischief as you try to gain
      the most treasures for yourself. Most of the cards in the game just let you
      move around the board to collect treasure but there are plenty of special
      power cards are reminiscent of M:TG with the ability to put other players to
      sleep, steal cards, cancel actions and steal treasure. WARNING! This game
      should be played with people that enjoy some high screwage and don't take
      things too seriously. If you have a group that enjoys KK&K or the Lifeboat
      game, this game might fit nicely! It's got a pretty big gulp of luck thrown
      in, but there are enough meaningful decisions to make it interesting and the
      screwage can get pretty funny as one player is kicked out of a partnership
      and a new one is formed. Especially difficult is the decision as to whether
      to split the treasure or try to fight it out for sole possession. Early in
      the game, there was less screwage but as it neared the end, more and more
      posturing for taking the final treasure appeared. Pitt took a win from last
      place in the final turn as the two most expensive treasures were taken by
      him alone. A nice 60 minute heavy screwage game that I will definitely be
      adding to my collection.

      During this time, the other table started up a 6 player game of Kohle, Kies
      & Knete so there was quite a bit of screwage happening during this hour.

      To finish the night, Pitt showed me how to play my newly acquired Odin's
      Ravens (though at least one person at the other table commented that it
      looked more like Odin's Frogs). Another winner in the Kosmos 2P lineup this
      clever little race game moves nicely and has just enough tactical decisions
      to make it fun but still plenty of luck in the card draw (I've come to learn
      that I like games with a healthy mix of the two). Pitt crushed me in 2
      rounds - I had both bonuses but he won each race by a large enough margin
      that it didn't matter. I need to concentrate more on aligning the terrain
      and flying my Raven down the track. We were a little hampered by the small
      tables at B&N - this game does require some room to stretch out. Also, the
      card backs are not a uniform color - some are lighter than others. Pitt
      noticed this in his German edition as well (mine was the Rio Grande
      version - same printer obviously). It's a little annoying, but since half
      are one way and half are the other, this really doesn't mark the cards
      enough to be a problem. This is one of Jenn's favorite new games (she has
      played 3 or 4 times now) and I think it will become one of my favs as well.

      Wizard was the traditional closer at SSG but I didn't get to play. I think
      David won but I'm not sure. I'm shooting to get in Wizard next week!

      daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
      http://www.unitygames.org (Unity Games - Eastern MA Gaming)
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
        To fill in the gaps on Dave's report, since I spent
        most of the night at the other table:

        Pitt did beat me by one point in King(s) Lui
        (Breakfast).

        Lucia crushed us at Traders and Builders. She managed
        to do both. She finished a large Cathedral/City that
        almost all of us glommed onto. Then she finished a 39
        point cathedral/city all by herself. By the end of
        the game she had two of the three goods (the wheat and
        the red toilet paper, I believe.) for 20 more points.
        I know she won by at least 40 points or so. She had
        something like 176. I had 133, I think. David was a
        couple ahead of me or a couple behind.

        I love the T+B expansion. The new rules can be
        expalined succinctly to a Carc Freak. There are only
        really three of them. The only problem I can see is
        that 20 more tiles means a few more trips around the
        table.

        KK&K was actually five players. I was determined not
        to let David sneak ahead of me and win like he's done
        every game i've played against him. I played
        masterfully, making five or six consecutive deals
        without burning a card. Being patient with my cards
        and watching a deal take shape before getting
        involved. Stealing an investor from Dave F. when he
        was leading. When the final scores were being
        announced, I was gleeful - smug even. I had 53
        million. Dave F. had like 29. Mike was in the 30s,
        maybe. David had a mere 40. I was going to gloat. I
        would finally win a game of KK&K at SSG. Then my wife
        started hauling out the blue bills. She had five of
        them, and four green ones to go with them. 54
        million.

        Someday I'll learn how to count. Just you wait.

        Oh, and David won at Wizard, but it was Mike's fault.

        Eric

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
          At 10:59 AM 4/29/2003 -0700, Eric Shultz wrote:
          ><snip> would finally win a game of KK&K at SSG. Then my wife
          >started hauling out the blue bills. She had five of
          >them, and four green ones to go with them. 54
          >million.
          >
          >Someday I'll learn how to count. Just you wait.

          Ahahahahahaha! AHAHAHHAHA! Take that Shultz! Reading this is sweet,
          but damn it would've been sweeter to see that smug grin wiped off your face
          as it happened.

          Mark

          'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole town,
          'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
          'N' is for "no survivors"...

          -- Plankton

        • Eric Shultz
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2003
            At least I only lost by ONE million.

            Five, Mark. Just remember that number.

            The smug grin is still there, too.

            Eric

            --- Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@...> wrote:
            > At 10:59 AM 4/29/2003 -0700, Eric Shultz wrote:
            > ><snip> would finally win a game of KK&K at SSG.
            > Then my wife
            > >started hauling out the blue bills. She had five
            > of
            > >them, and four green ones to go with them. 54
            > >million.
            > >
            > >Someday I'll learn how to count. Just you wait.
            >
            > Ahahahahahaha! AHAHAHHAHA! Take that Shultz!
            > Reading this is sweet,
            > but damn it would've been sweeter to see that smug
            > grin wiped off your face
            > as it happened.
            >
            > Mark
            >

            > If you like board games and live in Eastern MA or
            > the surrounding areas
            > check out Unity Games -- www.unitygames.org
            >
            > 'F' is for the "fire" that burns down the whole
            > town,
            > 'U' is for "uranium" ... bombs!,
            > 'N' is for "no survivors"...
            >
            > -- Plankton

            > removed]

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
              At 04:42 PM 4/29/2003 -0700, Eric Shultz wrote:
              >At least I only lost by ONE million.
              >
              >Five, Mark. Just remember that number.

              Oh I won't forget. I never forget. And it's five MILLION to you buster.

              >The smug grin is still there, too.

              We played a game last night you would've enjoyed. It's got some German
              name that translates to something like "Every Man for Himself", but most
              people refer to it as the "Lifeboat game". Anyhoot, the great part about
              it is that you get to throw folks in your boat to the sharks (as
              needed). Just picture the fun!

              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2003
                Oooh. Screwage. If I ever invent a game, that will
                be its name. This Lifeboat Game sounds interesting.
                You'll have to haul it out next time I'm over.

                http://search.yahoo.com