Another Recommended Bucket King Variant [Was: SR: ...]

  • nix342
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "flyingsheep" <flyingsheep@f...>
      wrote:
      > BUCKET KING (0:28 + 0:03 rules)
      > Ralph: 5
      > Chip: 5
      > Lewis: 1
      > Rob: 0
      > Josh: 0

      There is a relatively high possiblity of this game ending in a
      tie...at least if you play a single hand. The common answer is to
      play multiple hands, three hand being common. I've found, though,
      that this game doesn't really hold up to that kind of extended play.
      It's not that it's a bad or boring game, I think it's just that it is
      pretty light and to play three hands usually takes at least an hour,
      especially with a large number of players. A light game that lasts
      over an hour just doesn't feel right to me.

      What's my answer? To disregard the German taboo on elimination games
      and play until there is only one person left with buckets standing.
      This does change the games strategy and really opens up a wild end
      game. As more people are eliminated, the number of cards in your
      hand becomes less important and three card leads become more and more
      common as you attempt to knock people out. The downtime for
      eliminated players is not long, and is still rather
      entertaining...compare to Call My Bluff. This also keeps the time
      frame for the game in the expected range for lighter fair.

      I highly recommend this variant.

      Nick