SR: March 31, 2003: Auf Heller und Pfennig, Through the Desert and more

  • flyingsheep
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      Session Report: March 31, 2003
      Games Played: The Bucket King, Auf Heller und Pfennig, Culture Shock, Through the Desert
      Gamers: Matt, Peter, Chip, Ralph, Rob, Lewis, Josh

      BUCKET KING (0:28 + 0:03 rules)
      Ralph: 5
      Chip: 5
      Lewis: 1
      Rob: 0
      Josh: 0

      This was my first time playing this game. I tried to use as few cards as possible each time around to maximize the number of cards in my hand. Ralph tagged me as the leader after Rob was eliminated, but his attempts to make me lose buckets usually got Lewis or Josh instead.
      I like this game, although I'd like to play it a few more times before purchasing it for myself.

      AUF HELLER UND PFENNIG (0:25 + 0:05 rules and setup)
      Peter: 213
      Matt: 205
      Chip: 125

      This was my first time playing this game. I wasn't able to calculate the relative values of different squares quickly enough in the first two rounds. I think I'd do slightly better the next time I play this game.

      CULTURE SHOCK (0:40)
      Peter won
      Chip, Matt (0 markers left)

      The consensus seemed to be that this game could have used more playtesting. Matt and Peter suggested that the starting player has a large advantage, and I (the starting player) would have won if Peter wasn't able to block the closest international city. He collected the cards he needed two turns later to win the game.
      Matt and Peter didn't seem to like this game very much. It gets a different reception each time I bring it out - some people like it, and others don't. I've oscillated between both opinions a few times, and I'm still willing to play it with those who like it.

      THROUGH THE DESERT (0:25 + 0:05 setup)
      Matt: 89
      Peter: 75
      Chip: 68

      This was my second time playing this game, and I felt like I did better, although I still came in last. I need to pay more attention to the longest chain bonus, rather than reacting to other moves.
      I'd be willing to play this game again, although it wouldn't be my first choice.

      .chip
    • nix342
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2003
        --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "flyingsheep" <flyingsheep@f...>
        wrote:
        > BUCKET KING (0:28 + 0:03 rules)
        > Ralph: 5
        > Chip: 5
        > Lewis: 1
        > Rob: 0
        > Josh: 0

        There is a relatively high possiblity of this game ending in a
        tie...at least if you play a single hand. The common answer is to
        play multiple hands, three hand being common. I've found, though,
        that this game doesn't really hold up to that kind of extended play.
        It's not that it's a bad or boring game, I think it's just that it is
        pretty light and to play three hands usually takes at least an hour,
        especially with a large number of players. A light game that lasts
        over an hour just doesn't feel right to me.

        What's my answer? To disregard the German taboo on elimination games
        and play until there is only one person left with buckets standing.
        This does change the games strategy and really opens up a wild end
        game. As more people are eliminated, the number of cards in your
        hand becomes less important and three card leads become more and more
        common as you attempt to knock people out. The downtime for
        eliminated players is not long, and is still rather
        entertaining...compare to Call My Bluff. This also keeps the time
        frame for the game in the expected range for lighter fair.

        I highly recommend this variant.

        Nick