SR: March 25, 2003: Torres, Bohnanza, etc.

  • flyingsheep
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2003
      Session Report: March 25, 2003
      Games Played: Money, Call My Bluff, Torres, Bohnanza
      Players: Vitas, Lewis, Chip, Rob, Ralph, Marcus, Chris

      Thanks to Chris for hosting, and thanks to Ralph and Vitas for
      recording scores/times, etc.

      MONEY (~0:20)
      Rob (540)
      Chip (340)
      Ralph (310)
      Lewis (260)
      Vitas (100)

      This was an interesting little set collection game. I think it requires a better memory then I have, to recall which bills have already passed by. The bluffing card didn't really seem to make much sense, as we all put our bids out simultaniously.
      All in all, I think I'd rather play 6 Nimmt!

      CALL MY BLUFF (~0:20)
      Ralph (won with 3 dice remaining)
      Lewis
      Rob
      Vitas
      Chip
      Marcus

      I made a big mistake early on, trying to convince Lewis(?) that there were 13 1s on the table in the first round. I thought that displaying 3 of them would be sufficient to dispell any doubts. Alas, I was wrong, and I lost 4 of my dice.
      The endgame was unusual in that Ralph and Lewis each had 5 dice left after Rob was eliminated. The tension was too much for me, so I wandered off into the kitchen for some snacks.
      This is a fun game that I'd like to add to my collection someday.

      TORRES (0:15 setup and rules, 0:40 play)
      Ralph (250)
      Rob (234)
      Chip (223)

      I made my biggest mistake before the game even hit the table: I announced that I always win this game. Even though Rob and Ralph were both new to the game, they managed to outscore me. Perhaps I can take some solace in being a good teacher?
      This game went very quickly for a three-player game. Both Rob and Ralph picked up on the rules and didn't make any newbie mistakes.
      I need to play this game again, soon, to redeem myself (:

      BOHNANZA (0:40)
      Rob (32)
      Chip (25)
      Ralph (22)

      I suggested a game of Space Beans, and Ralph trumped me with Bohnanza. This was a very quick and friendly game. We were all more interested in making good trades and keeping the game moving quickly then analyzing every trade and trying to figure out who was winning. This made for a much more enjoyable game, although I'm sure that we all made some trades that were overly generous.
      I like this game a lot, and would gladly play again.

      PLUG: Gaming at my house in Maynard this Saturday, starting at 5PM.
      Email me (FlyingSheep@...) with questions or to be added to
      the evite.

      .chip