Age of Steam [was SR - GiP 02/01/03]

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
      --- Dave Bernazzani <daveber@...> wrote:
      > I saw AOS played 3 or 4 times at UG5 and thought it
      > looked impressive but
      > wasn't sure it was a game I would enjoy. I've been
      > reading the SR and am
      > intrigued enough that I will probably try it sooner
      > or later. Does anyone
      > know how this game clocks in lengthwise for an
      > "average" play? Anyone else
      > feel there is some difficulty in recovering from a
      > poor start?

      Here's the scoop Dave. Have you tried Volldampf? AoS
      is very similar - the next evolution this style of
      game for Martin Wallace.

      The math isn't that hard - nothing requiring anything
      more than fingers and toes for counting.

      Avererage play lenght - This will be a little more
      variable. The first time through, it is probably okay
      to okay to assume 3 hours for explanation and play.

      Once you have played it - I think it is a 2 hour game,
      though there is plenty of opportunity for analysis
      paralysis to slow the game up. The game will drag
      when playing with "slow" players - we all know someone
      who falls into this category. The game has plenty of
      occassions though where you want to spend a little
      more time thinking about your turn.

      I've played it 1/2 a dozen times and feel this is the
      best game from last year - yes better than Puerto
      Rico. I don't think it will meet everyone's taste as
      it is on the longer side. But it is meaty with lots
      of choice. There is also the potential for high
      screwage which some like and others avoid.

      And right now - if you want to beat Pitt at a game -
      there is nothing better than Age of Steam - he's awful
      at this game. Any chance we will see you in Topsfield
      on Sat.? If so, maybe a game of AoS with Pitt and
      myself is in order.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Allan Smulling
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hi Dave,

        AoS has lasted 1.5 to 2.5 hours (or there abouts) over the past 5 plays.

        As for being able to salvage a poor start to the game.... I think it can be done, but you'll probably have to do some serious planning (or at least have a plan) on how you're going to generate income. I think that the only time your game position becomes hopeless is when players have clogged up the board with their own rail networks leaving you little to no room to expand.

        Oddly enough, I've found myself playing against *myself* instead of against the other players. I'm not terribly good at these kinds of games, so I consider myself doing well if my network can turn a profit by turn 4. :)

        Look forward to hearing your impressions on the game when you get a chance to play.

        Regards,
        Allan
        >But really I don't think I'd request the game because
        >of my unpleasant experiences of landing in
        >the basement early on and not being able to recover.
        >That and all the math :)

        Uh-oh! Math.. I'm doomed.

        I saw AOS played 3 or 4 times at UG5 and thought it looked impressive but
        wasn't sure it was a game I would enjoy. I've been reading the SR and am
        intrigued enough that I will probably try it sooner or later. Does anyone
        know how this game clocks in lengthwise for an "average" play? Anyone else
        feel there is some difficulty in recovering from a poor start?

        daveber@... (remove NOSPAM to use)
        http://www.unitygames.org (E pluribus Unity - Eastern MA gaming)

      • Pitt Crandlemire
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          At 08:07 AM 2/3/2003 -0800, Craig Massey wrote:

          >And right now - if you want to beat Pitt at a game -
          >there is nothing better than Age of Steam - he's awful
          >at this game.

          Hey! It's not that I'm awful, it's just that they finally invented a game
          at which you have a modicum of skill. Aside from that fiasco at UG, I've
          come in 2nd every time I played. Unfortunately, I keep playing with you
          and you keep winning.

          >Any chance we will see you in Topsfield
          >on Sat.? If so, maybe a game of AoS with Pitt and
          >myself is in order.

          Yes! It will be nice to trounce Dave. Besides, we need to keep playing
          AoS until I finally manage to beat you. Perhaps we can have Schloth play,
          too. That way we'll have somebody to fetch drinks after the second turn...