Re: [Unity_Games] Re: SR - GiP 02/01/03

  • Allan Smulling
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi James!

      >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
      >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
      >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
      >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
      >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
      >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
      >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
      >ever building into Buffalo.

      I see what you were doing now! Actually I was pretty much just paying attention to my little section of the world instead of the big picture. (Perhaps this is why I never come in first? <grin>). This past game certainly had a more agressive flavor to it than the other ones. I, too, had expected folks sharing rail networks more than they did.

      Have you tried a 3 player game of this yet? I'm curious if the dymanic would change dramatically or if it would be more of the same with fewer people.

      Looks like Age of Steam isn't on the list for this coming week. K,K&K was talked about. How about taking Vinici (didn't you buy that one on Saturday?) for a spin?

      Have a great week.

      Regards,
      Allan

    • Mark Edwards
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
        At 03:41 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, James wrote:
        >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
        >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
        >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
        >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
        >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
        >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
        >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
        >ever building into Buffalo.

        Ahhhh, it makes more sense now. You were desperate and panicked! It
        happens to the best of us. ;-)

        Mark
      • Josh Bluestein
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
          > From: Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@...>

          > At 03:41 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, James wrote:
          > >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
          > >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
          > >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
          > >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
          > >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
          > >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
          > >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
          > >ever building into Buffalo.
          >
          > Ahhhh, it makes more sense now. You were desperate and panicked! It
          > happens to the best of us. ;-)

          One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
          before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
          gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
          you build. Or am I wrong?

          Josh
        • Allan Smulling
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
            Hi Josh,

            >One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
            >before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
            >gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
            >you build. Or am I wrong?

            Sounds about right to me.

          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
              At 01:06 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, Josh wrote:
              >One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
              >before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
              >gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
              >you build. Or am I wrong?

              You are correct and that's the way we play. Perhaps James was afraid he
              would get cut out of getting to the city on the *next* turn as he couldn't
              get to it on his build in the current turn?

              Mark

              "Head! Pants! Now!! Move that melon of yours and get the paper if you
              can... hauling that gargantuan cranium about." -- Stuart MacKenzie
            • James Torr <jamesdtorr@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                You're right. I did get the first chance to build into the new city.
                I had originally written that "anywhere I urbanized would
                likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it,"
                which is wrong. What I should have said was ""anywhere I urbanized
                would likely be built into by everyone else and I wouldn't benefit
                much from it."

                James