Re: SR - GiP 02/01/03

  • James Torr <jamesdtorr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
      > James worked his rails in the Center and progressed to the North
      > >East and in the process isolated Toronto so that no one could get
      >to it!!!! I'm not certain if this was a strategy to deny everyone
      >access to Toronto's goods or whether it was a track placement
      >mistake. In any event, it surprised me that it was possible to
      >actually render a city useless.

      What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
      took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
      likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
      urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
      urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
      way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
      would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
      ever building into Buffalo.

      Now, I admit that urbanizing Buffalo (or rather choosing urbanization
      in the first place) was far from an optimal move, and I'll take
      Mark's advice about not splitting up one's network to heart if/when I
      play AoS again. I was assuming/hoping that players would use each
      others' track more often than they did.

      However, my wacky play was due in part to the game's unforgiving
      nature. I had bult a nice little network in the middle of the board,
      but Larry had come in from the east and built parallel routes next to
      almost all of my routes. Clearly this was a good strategy on Larry's
      part, and clearly I should have been expanding west while it was
      happening. But once it happened, I was at a loss for how to recover.
      By turn 4, he had very much beaten me in that area of the board. So I
      played almost the last half of the game in a relatively hopeless
      position. I can tolerate that, but I was uncomfortable with the
      kingmaker situation I was left in. There were all sorts of moves
      (urbanizing, stealing cubes, moving cubes over my own and others'
      track, blocking access to cities) that really hurt or helped other
      players, but I couldn't find a way to really help myself. This was
      most apparent in the last turn of the game when I chose not to move a
      cube over my own and either Larry's or Mark's track for fear it would
      decide the game.

      So yes, I am clearly not quite "getting" this game yet. If I play
      next time I'll definitely start from a corner of the board rather
      than the middle, build a heck of a lot more, and not split up my
      network. I also still feel that access to black cities is very
      important. And I would have had a circular route if it weren't for a
      smart blocking play by Larry early on. But really I don't think I'd
      request the game because of my unpleasant experiences of landing in
      the basement early on and not being able to recover. That and all the
      math :)

      James

      > Actually James' move was a lot crazier than that! I had built a
      > railroad link up to Detroit from the central area and was the only
      >one even in the northeast area at the time. Then James took
      >urbanization, plopped a black city on Buffalo and built a link
      >between Detroit and Buffalo.
    • Allan Smulling
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hi James!

        >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
        >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
        >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
        >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
        >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
        >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
        >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
        >ever building into Buffalo.

        I see what you were doing now! Actually I was pretty much just paying attention to my little section of the world instead of the big picture. (Perhaps this is why I never come in first? <grin>). This past game certainly had a more agressive flavor to it than the other ones. I, too, had expected folks sharing rail networks more than they did.

        Have you tried a 3 player game of this yet? I'm curious if the dymanic would change dramatically or if it would be more of the same with fewer people.

        Looks like Age of Steam isn't on the list for this coming week. K,K&K was talked about. How about taking Vinici (didn't you buy that one on Saturday?) for a spin?

        Have a great week.

        Regards,
        Allan

      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
          At 03:41 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, James wrote:
          >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
          >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
          >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
          >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
          >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
          >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
          >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
          >ever building into Buffalo.

          Ahhhh, it makes more sense now. You were desperate and panicked! It
          happens to the best of us. ;-)

          Mark
        • Josh Bluestein
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
            > From: Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@...>

            > At 03:41 PM 2/3/2003 +0000, James wrote:
            > >What happened was that I was in last place to choose actions, and I
            > >took urbanization. Then I realized that anywhere I urbanized would
            > >likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it. So I
            > >urbanized way up in the NW corner of the board in Buffalo. Having
            > >urbanized there, it was easy to cut off Toronto, just because of the
            > >way the map is laid out. If I had built from Detroit to Toronto, Mark
            > >would have built from Detroit to Buffalo, thus preventing me from
            > >ever building into Buffalo.
            >
            > Ahhhh, it makes more sense now. You were desperate and panicked! It
            > happens to the best of us. ;-)

            One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
            before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
            gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
            you build. Or am I wrong?

            Josh
          • Allan Smulling
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
              Hi Josh,

              >One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
              >before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
              >gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
              >you build. Or am I wrong?

              Sounds about right to me.

            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                At 01:06 PM 2/3/2003 -0500, Josh wrote:
                >One question about the above explanation: Doesn't Urbanization happen
                >before the player's build phase? So if you have last build, everyone
                >gets to build, THEN you choose your town to convert to a city, then
                >you build. Or am I wrong?

                You are correct and that's the way we play. Perhaps James was afraid he
                would get cut out of getting to the city on the *next* turn as he couldn't
                get to it on his build in the current turn?

                Mark

                "Head! Pants! Now!! Move that melon of yours and get the paper if you
                can... hauling that gargantuan cranium about." -- Stuart MacKenzie
              • James Torr <jamesdtorr@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                  You're right. I did get the first chance to build into the new city.
                  I had originally written that "anywhere I urbanized would
                  likely be built into by everyone else before I could get to it,"
                  which is wrong. What I should have said was ""anywhere I urbanized
                  would likely be built into by everyone else and I wouldn't benefit
                  much from it."

                  James