Re: [Unity_Games] SR: Unity Games V: Chrononauts, Through the Desert, Mexica, etc.

  • pldr
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
      ----------
      > From: flyingsheep <flyingsheep@...>
      > To: Unity Games List <Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: [Unity_Games] SR: Unity Games V: Chrononauts, Through the
      Desert, Mexica, etc.
      > Date: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:59 PM
      >
      > CULTURE SHOCK (0:25)
      > Kaj: 0 pieces remaining (won)
      > Chip: 3
      > Pete: 4
      > Sara: 6
      >
      > After 15 minutes of going over the rules (and all the various
      exceptions), and suggesting the "ideal play", I dealt out the cards
      and we began play. This is a pretty quick game that I enjoy despite a
      high randomness factor. At one point, I was able to block Sara off
      with markers and my playing token. I don't think Kaj or Pete
      particularly liked this game, but I'd still play it again.

      Actually, I did like this game. It has more strategy than it appears
      at first glance.

      > THROUGH THE DESERT (0:44 - including rules and setup)
      > Sara: 71
      > Kaj: 62
      > Chip: 57
      > Pete: 56
      >
      > Sara and I were drawn to the theme of this game, being "camels"
      (alumni of Connecticut College) ourselves. Kaj did an excellent job
      of explaining the rules. I thought I was being clever by quietly
      sectioning off areas of the map with my camels, but I neglected the
      "longest camel chain" aspect of the game. I enjoyed this game, and
      it's prompted me to consider various strategies, so I look forward to
      playing it again.

      I really liked this one. I had never played it before. Lots of
      decisions and everyone was appropriately sneaky.

      > ELFENLAND (1:20 - delayed a bit by the prize drawing)
      > Kaj: 6 5 6 2 - 19 (2) closest to elvenhold
      > Chip: 6 5 5 3 - 19 (2)
      > Sara: 6 5 5 3 - 19 (0)
      > Ralph: 6 5 5 1 - 17
      > Pete: 3 6 6 1 - 16
      >
      > Yet again, I was unable to completely resist the temptation to be
      "greedy" and maximize a single round (3) at the cost of the overall
      game. Despite obstacles in Kaj's way, he managed to get 2 of his
      remaining 3 cities and end up closer to elvenhold, thus winning the
      game.
      > Ralph mentioned the fact that every time he plays this game with
      me (twice, so far), most of the face-up tiles end up being clouds
      that no one wants. Last time we played, Vitas suggested an alternate
      rule - if all the face up tiles are the same, they should be mixed
      back into the face-down pile, and 5 new ones should be revealed. Of
      course, I'm sure the first time I play with this rule, I'll be the
      one that wants clouds (:
      > I'm increasingly suprised at how the length of this game has
      decreased. Even with the occasional pauses to listen for door prize
      numbers, it was under 1 and a half hours. I'd play this game again.

      I had wretched card draws except for one round. This impresses me as
      more of a luck-driven game than anything else. The artwork was cute
      though.

      > .chip

      Great playing with you guys!

      Pete