Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Report or Dawn of the Brain Dead Gamers!

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
      --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

      > > [Taj ~ poker snip]
      > > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
      > > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor
      > of
      > > drawn cards plays a huge part.
      >
      > Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't
      > involve much card play. Lots
      > of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is
      > very little actual card
      > play (although a few roll-over games we play do have
      > the Taj feel). It's
      > more a matter of revealing bits of information
      > common information and
      > balancing them against privately held information.
      > I assumed you were
      > talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But
      > no matter.

      I guess I was comparing Taj to Poker on the similarity
      of feel around the bluffing and evaluation of others
      cards based upon the the value of the region for them.
      Thanks for clarifying my ambiguities.

      > It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very
      > strong for me. But I'm
      > always less prone to like games where the screwage
      > is heavy. This is one of
      > the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

      Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
      hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
      first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
      classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

      Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
        --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
        > Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was
        > avoiding addressing:
        > C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I
        > first
        > thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his
        > Knizia
        > list with Camels second - where do you put Taj
        > Andrew?
        > <C
        >
        > It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among
        > the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia
        > games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is
        > so very different, and which I've only played once?
        > Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've
        > yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening
        > :)

        I heard answers with more committment behind them in
        the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
        I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
        later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

        Okay - to fine tune the question - where would you put
        Taj among other Knizia games of same ilk - Samurai,
        Camels, T&E, Taj. Modern Art does fit in this group
        for me, nor do his card games like Battle Line.

        Speaking of Battleline, I'd be happy to give it a go
        tonite - I actually packed Schotten Totten too, but
        would love to see the new version. Andrew - I should
        be done at work on the early side tonite - how early
        can one show up at BLAH (considering I'm still allowed
        after my comment above)

        Craig - Unity's resident muckraker (or so it seems)

        =====
        Craig W. Massey
        cwmassey@...

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
          > [Andrew side-steps the issue snip]
          > I heard answers with more committment behind them in
          > the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
          > I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
          > later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

          Yeah... Andrew's using that 'Fuzzy Math' again.

          As for me -- the ratings of the big 4 you mentioned:

          E&T
          Samurai
          Taj
          DdW

          But all are excellent so it's splitting hairs...

          dber@...
        • Walter Hunt [ext ]
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
            > Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
            > hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
            > first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
            > classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

            Yeah, yeah, put the technical writer to work. Hey, I'm too busy with Candyland variants. All part of the parental duty, you know?

            > Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

            You mean "who's".

            On the subject of Sunday, I'd like to note a few games I'd like to play Sunday:
            San Francisco, Kaufleute von Amsterdam, La Citta`.
            Anyone else?

            BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon, so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now! Dave, do you want names?

            Walter
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
              OK, Dave and Craig have shamed me into expressing a preference.

              E&T (second only to Go)
              DdW
              Samurai
              Taj

              The biggest gap is the one between DdW and Samurai, and the smallest, the one between Samurai and Taj.

              It's interesting that Craig asked for a comparison of Taj with the tile-laying trilogy. My one victory at Taj (out of four or five games so far) was with the "tile-laying" or "longest road" strategy.

              As a Non-Resident Alien (to use the charming term of your INS), I will not be drawn into any discussion of how You the People choose your presidents... well, not on this list anyway!

              Craig, the record for early arrival for BLAH's 6:30pm start stands at 6pm. There are no prizes for breaking it! If I'd be keeping records, I could probably report that Alison's mean time of arrival is 6:29:53 (i.e. 7 seconds early), with a standard deviation of about a minute!

              I should be done inhaling dinner and clearing most things that aren't card games off the tables by around 6:15. Any time after then is fine.

              Andrew.
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                Walter wrote:
                > [Unity Games]
                > BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon,
                >so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along
                >with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now!

                We currently stood at about 39 (it's hard to judge - people may or may not
                be bringing one or more other gamers). So, yes, we are likely over 40 now.
                I've already got Lisa's name badge ready - you put her on the list early so
                it's good to come though on your original sign-ups :)

                >Dave, do you want names?

                If you like... But I'm just about done with the name badges. About 35 are
                printed up. I'll do a few more for those on the list - but then it will
                just be blanks that can be filled out that day. I have to print in batches
                of 4 - and currently there are 3 waiting in the queue for another.

                I'll give you the sign-up sheet I drafted up when I arrive on Sunday - it's
                basically a list of ticket #'s and we can fill in the names of people as
                they arrive so that we have a roll call for the day (and so that Mark can
                find the people when he pulls ticket numbers for prizes). Also, I'm in the
                process of making up a game-record sheet for people to write down games they
                played with participants. It will be something *very* simple - and won't
                take much time to fill in after a game (no scores or ratings needed this
                time around). My goal is to get a record of all games played during the
                day - and I'll need some help from people at all the other tables. This
                game record will likely be at the head table so after a game, feel free to
                jog up there and fill it in.

                The idea is that this paperwork should be minimal and take up almost no time
                on the participants part - which will leave most of the day to playing games
                as it should be. If it starts to take up a disproportionate amount of time,
                I'll just pull it and skip trying to get a record of what was played.

                Finally - for those who have not heard, the prizes for UG1 have arrived
                safely. Boulder Games has thrown in some excellent free stuff in addition to
                the normal prizes and Walter was able to secure gift cert. from a local shop
                called The Whiz in Westboro. Greg Schloesser has offered us a 3 month free
                membership to the Strategy Gaming Society (5% discounts, The Strategist mag,
                etc) as a prize. Plenty of people have offered to donate some small stuff.
                Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                dber@...
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                  Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                  > Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                  > nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                  Or else I'll force you to play 5 player Taj Mahal with me until I get cranky and boorish!

                  Mark (who's still feeling a bit guilty, but not to worry, I'll be well over the guilt by Sunday! ;-) )

                  "Ahh, humor you seek. Fail you will!" - My Conversation With Yoda
                • David Rapp
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                    Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                    kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000

                      > Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                      > kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                      That won't be a problem, I suspect! Our group has made it a filler most
                      weeks and I'm sure it will get some play time Sunday. On a side-note, I did
                      finally get my copy of Bluff after finally deciding (over the past year)
                      that it belongs in my collection (I was using a home-made set since it's
                      just Dice, Cups and small board - but an official set is worthwhile
                      especially since you can pick one up on ebay fairly cheaply).

                      dber@...
                    • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                        Hey Dave,

                        Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                        ----------------------
                        Walter H. Hunt
                        Senior Technical Writer
                        VistaSource, Inc.
                        114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
                        (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

                        millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
                      • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                          I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. That was supposed to be e-mail, not broadcast to the group.

                          I designed a little flyer for Sunday. I'll have a sample to show at SSG Saturday if anyone wants to make last-minute suggestions.

                          ----------------------

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000

                            > Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                            Walter (I assume you meant to send that email privately, but the group might
                            appreciate your efforts),

                            UG1 flyer looks great! I sent you a detailed message on it this morning to
                            your home email. Looks near professional quality :)

                            Be sure to print up at least 40 of them for the event.

                            Two new people asked to come to UG1 yesterday (both probable, not definite).
                            Just when I thought we had maxed out. But we lost one person so it's
                            probably a wash. To be honest, I've done the best I could to track who will
                            be going, but I suspect it may still be a surprise who actually shows up on
                            Sunday.

                            Woke up this morning thinking it was UG-minus-four. But it's really
                            UG-minus-three so that got me a bit more excited about waking up today!

                            dber@...
                          • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                              Same place (Holliston), same time (7 PM).

                              I have the usual tub o'games with me. For Mark E.: Venture is in the box. For Mark T.: I brought my Siedler box, as well as Siedler: Staedte & Ritter, so you can take a look at that if you show.

                              Anyone interested in seeing the site of UG 1 can pay us a Thursday night visit. It'll be less hectic than Sunday, anyway --