Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Report or Dawn of the Brain Dead Gamers!

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
      Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was avoiding addressing:
      C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I first
      thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his Knizia
      list with Camels second - where do you put Taj Andrew?
      <C

      It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is so very different, and which I've only played once? Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening :)

      Evasively,

      Andrew.
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
        > [Taj ~ poker snip]
        > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
        > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
        > drawn cards plays a huge part.

        Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't involve much card play. Lots
        of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is very little actual card
        play (although a few roll-over games we play do have the Taj feel). It's
        more a matter of revealing bits of information common information and
        balancing them against privately held information. I assumed you were
        talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But no matter.

        As far as luck goes - there is no real luck in the cards you can choose and
        very little luck in the cards overall, but there is the next closest thing
        to luck - that is where and when your opponents decide to battle. In a 5
        player game, if two sets of two people battle in a particular round and the
        5th person happens to get a prize for one card played, I don't always
        consider that a good play - he *was* fortunate (in whatever terms you want
        to place it) that the other players were either stronger in another area or
        simply decided to pursue a different area for whatever reason. A few
        "gifts" can go a long way to winning the game. A few long battles can go a
        long way to losing it. Yes, you can always pull out of a battle, but often
        you've spent a card and can just as easily be involved in the next battle.
        Without a few one or two card "gifts", you will struggle.

        It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very strong for me. But I'm
        always less prone to like games where the screwage is heavy. This is one of
        the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

        dber@...
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
          --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

          > > [Taj ~ poker snip]
          > > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
          > > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor
          > of
          > > drawn cards plays a huge part.
          >
          > Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't
          > involve much card play. Lots
          > of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is
          > very little actual card
          > play (although a few roll-over games we play do have
          > the Taj feel). It's
          > more a matter of revealing bits of information
          > common information and
          > balancing them against privately held information.
          > I assumed you were
          > talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But
          > no matter.

          I guess I was comparing Taj to Poker on the similarity
          of feel around the bluffing and evaluation of others
          cards based upon the the value of the region for them.
          Thanks for clarifying my ambiguities.

          > It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very
          > strong for me. But I'm
          > always less prone to like games where the screwage
          > is heavy. This is one of
          > the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

          Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
          hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
          first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
          classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

          Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

          =====
          Craig W. Massey
          cwmassey@...

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
            --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
            > Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was
            > avoiding addressing:
            > C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I
            > first
            > thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his
            > Knizia
            > list with Camels second - where do you put Taj
            > Andrew?
            > <C
            >
            > It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among
            > the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia
            > games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is
            > so very different, and which I've only played once?
            > Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've
            > yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening
            > :)

            I heard answers with more committment behind them in
            the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
            I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
            later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

            Okay - to fine tune the question - where would you put
            Taj among other Knizia games of same ilk - Samurai,
            Camels, T&E, Taj. Modern Art does fit in this group
            for me, nor do his card games like Battle Line.

            Speaking of Battleline, I'd be happy to give it a go
            tonite - I actually packed Schotten Totten too, but
            would love to see the new version. Andrew - I should
            be done at work on the early side tonite - how early
            can one show up at BLAH (considering I'm still allowed
            after my comment above)

            Craig - Unity's resident muckraker (or so it seems)

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
              > [Andrew side-steps the issue snip]
              > I heard answers with more committment behind them in
              > the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
              > I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
              > later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

              Yeah... Andrew's using that 'Fuzzy Math' again.

              As for me -- the ratings of the big 4 you mentioned:

              E&T
              Samurai
              Taj
              DdW

              But all are excellent so it's splitting hairs...

              dber@...
            • Walter Hunt [ext ]
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                > Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
                > hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
                > first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
                > classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

                Yeah, yeah, put the technical writer to work. Hey, I'm too busy with Candyland variants. All part of the parental duty, you know?

                > Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

                You mean "who's".

                On the subject of Sunday, I'd like to note a few games I'd like to play Sunday:
                San Francisco, Kaufleute von Amsterdam, La Citta`.
                Anyone else?

                BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon, so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now! Dave, do you want names?

                Walter
              • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                  OK, Dave and Craig have shamed me into expressing a preference.

                  E&T (second only to Go)
                  DdW
                  Samurai
                  Taj

                  The biggest gap is the one between DdW and Samurai, and the smallest, the one between Samurai and Taj.

                  It's interesting that Craig asked for a comparison of Taj with the tile-laying trilogy. My one victory at Taj (out of four or five games so far) was with the "tile-laying" or "longest road" strategy.

                  As a Non-Resident Alien (to use the charming term of your INS), I will not be drawn into any discussion of how You the People choose your presidents... well, not on this list anyway!

                  Craig, the record for early arrival for BLAH's 6:30pm start stands at 6pm. There are no prizes for breaking it! If I'd be keeping records, I could probably report that Alison's mean time of arrival is 6:29:53 (i.e. 7 seconds early), with a standard deviation of about a minute!

                  I should be done inhaling dinner and clearing most things that aren't card games off the tables by around 6:15. Any time after then is fine.

                  Andrew.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                    Walter wrote:
                    > [Unity Games]
                    > BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon,
                    >so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along
                    >with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now!

                    We currently stood at about 39 (it's hard to judge - people may or may not
                    be bringing one or more other gamers). So, yes, we are likely over 40 now.
                    I've already got Lisa's name badge ready - you put her on the list early so
                    it's good to come though on your original sign-ups :)

                    >Dave, do you want names?

                    If you like... But I'm just about done with the name badges. About 35 are
                    printed up. I'll do a few more for those on the list - but then it will
                    just be blanks that can be filled out that day. I have to print in batches
                    of 4 - and currently there are 3 waiting in the queue for another.

                    I'll give you the sign-up sheet I drafted up when I arrive on Sunday - it's
                    basically a list of ticket #'s and we can fill in the names of people as
                    they arrive so that we have a roll call for the day (and so that Mark can
                    find the people when he pulls ticket numbers for prizes). Also, I'm in the
                    process of making up a game-record sheet for people to write down games they
                    played with participants. It will be something *very* simple - and won't
                    take much time to fill in after a game (no scores or ratings needed this
                    time around). My goal is to get a record of all games played during the
                    day - and I'll need some help from people at all the other tables. This
                    game record will likely be at the head table so after a game, feel free to
                    jog up there and fill it in.

                    The idea is that this paperwork should be minimal and take up almost no time
                    on the participants part - which will leave most of the day to playing games
                    as it should be. If it starts to take up a disproportionate amount of time,
                    I'll just pull it and skip trying to get a record of what was played.

                    Finally - for those who have not heard, the prizes for UG1 have arrived
                    safely. Boulder Games has thrown in some excellent free stuff in addition to
                    the normal prizes and Walter was able to secure gift cert. from a local shop
                    called The Whiz in Westboro. Greg Schloesser has offered us a 3 month free
                    membership to the Strategy Gaming Society (5% discounts, The Strategist mag,
                    etc) as a prize. Plenty of people have offered to donate some small stuff.
                    Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                    nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                    dber@...
                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                      Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                      > Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                      > nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                      Or else I'll force you to play 5 player Taj Mahal with me until I get cranky and boorish!

                      Mark (who's still feeling a bit guilty, but not to worry, I'll be well over the guilt by Sunday! ;-) )

                      "Ahh, humor you seek. Fail you will!" - My Conversation With Yoda
                    • David Rapp
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                        Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                        kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000

                          > Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                          > kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                          That won't be a problem, I suspect! Our group has made it a filler most
                          weeks and I'm sure it will get some play time Sunday. On a side-note, I did
                          finally get my copy of Bluff after finally deciding (over the past year)
                          that it belongs in my collection (I was using a home-made set since it's
                          just Dice, Cups and small board - but an official set is worthwhile
                          especially since you can pick one up on ebay fairly cheaply).

                          dber@...
                        • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                            Hey Dave,

                            Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                            ----------------------
                            Walter H. Hunt
                            Senior Technical Writer
                            VistaSource, Inc.
                            114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
                            (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

                            millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
                          • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                              I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. That was supposed to be e-mail, not broadcast to the group.

                              I designed a little flyer for Sunday. I'll have a sample to show at SSG Saturday if anyone wants to make last-minute suggestions.

                              ----------------------

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000

                                > Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                                Walter (I assume you meant to send that email privately, but the group might
                                appreciate your efforts),

                                UG1 flyer looks great! I sent you a detailed message on it this morning to
                                your home email. Looks near professional quality :)

                                Be sure to print up at least 40 of them for the event.

                                Two new people asked to come to UG1 yesterday (both probable, not definite).
                                Just when I thought we had maxed out. But we lost one person so it's
                                probably a wash. To be honest, I've done the best I could to track who will
                                be going, but I suspect it may still be a surprise who actually shows up on
                                Sunday.

                                Woke up this morning thinking it was UG-minus-four. But it's really
                                UG-minus-three so that got me a bit more excited about waking up today!

                                dber@...
                              • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                                  Same place (Holliston), same time (7 PM).

                                  I have the usual tub o'games with me. For Mark E.: Venture is in the box. For Mark T.: I brought my Siedler box, as well as Siedler: Staedte & Ritter, so you can take a look at that if you show.

                                  Anyone interested in seeing the site of UG 1 can pay us a Thursday night visit. It'll be less hectic than Sunday, anyway --