Re: [Unity_Games] B&N Report or Dawn of the Brain Dead Gamers!

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3 9:36 PM
      It sounds as though I'd have fit right in had I been there.

      I'm sorry I missed Amazing Labyrinth. Mark recommends it for kids: at what
      age would you start them on it? David Vander Ark’s Games for Kids page says
      it'll work for 5 and up, whereas the box says 8 and up.

      Exxtra and Fluxx... the X-games, dudes! I think these two are probably at the
      limit of craziness for a B&N session. Good games both.

      Taj Mahal... the debate continues. I know what Mark means. I think that this
      is where luck, or one of her very close relatives, comes into Taj more than I
      like in games that are not both light and short. I still like Taj, but there
      are a bunch of games by the same designer I prefer.

      Taj connection 1 (of 2). My favorite Knizia game is E&T (with Thru the
      Desert, a great game in its own right, a distant second). The fifth and last
      in the series of six shows Reiner did on The Board Room recently went on
      line, and very interesting I found it. He talks about the development and
      testing of E&T.

      Taj connection 2 (of 2). I'm not sure whether I would have been rooting for
      Taj to win the Deutscher SpielePreis had I played La Citta in time. They are
      both 8.5 games at the moment, with Taj in decline and La Citta on the rise.

      I posted a report on our game of La Citta at BoardgameGeek. I boldly
      mentioned Citta sheets and scoring variants. Those familiar with the
      nefarious schemes of the Anti-Variant Front (AVF) will not be surprised at
      what happened. The report was available for only a few hours when it was
      overwritten by another report from the same session, the other report having
      been written by... Dave B. Coincidence? I think not.

      My report on La Citta has now been restored... but how long before we see
      more dirty tricks from the AVF? GeekGate will not be their last foul act,
      mark my words.

      Andrew, whose own La Citta (and Battle Line, and...) just arrived.
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 4 4:53 AM
        Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

        >Okay if I assume that all of the players are of equal
        >ability/experience, my first comment is that Taj is
        >very much like poker with the decisions to be made on
        >when to go into a battle and when to stay out. Do you

        Yes, quite possibly. But it's like only 12 hands of poker and
        luck over just 12 hands of poker can be astonishing (having
        played quite a bit of poker over the years). The card draw from
        the table helps, but not as much for me since I have no desire to
        remember every card someone took (if I'm in Elephant mode, I do
        remember where the dual elephants go - but apparently several
        were dealt out at the beginning of this game that I couldn't
        track). Maybe if there were 30 or 50 turns so that you could
        overcome a few early challenges. But then the game would be very
        long...

        >bluff, or go strong (a la 3 elephants). I find that
        >playing in the lead position or even the 2nd position
        >in a 5 player game, it is worth it to invest small on
        >your initial play and invest big when you play later
        >in a turn 4th or 5th.

        Perhaps, but my feeling was to scare them out of battling in the
        first place. It was obvious that I was likely to win the battle,
        but the challenges happened anyway...

        Anyway, I did try some small cards on some rounds and never got
        away with a win of less than 3 cards (well, maybe one round I
        took something for 2 but it was amid a sea of longer battles).
        You say a person should know when to get out of a battle before
        burning too many cards - in this particular game, I would have
        only one or two little prizes the whole evening - but i suppose I
        would have had a good string of cards for the endgame.

        I did the best I could under the circumstances and just fell
        short of 3rd place by a point (and I battled hard for that extra
        point in the end - but Pete who typically needed just one or two
        cards per prize was able to outslug me).

        dber@...
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 4 4:56 AM
          AndAgainMA@... wrote:

          >I posted a report on our game of La Citta at BoardgameGeek. I boldly
          >mentioned Citta sheets and scoring variants. Those familiar with the
          >nefarious schemes of the Anti-Variant Front (AVF) will not be surprised at
          >what happened. The report was available for only a few hours when it was
          >overwritten by another report from the same session, the other report having
          >been written by... Dave B. Coincidence? I think not.

          Actually, I haven't posted much to the BoardGameGeek database.
          Derk Solko asked me if he could pilfer my webpage for back
          reports and so he is automating the process of entering the
          sessions from my page. I suspect you were a victim of the
          automation... Tons of SSG material is now available at
          www.boardgamegeek.com.

          Also please think about a visit to enter your data into the World
          Gamers Database:

          http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wgd

          dber@...
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 4 5:39 AM
            --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
            > Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
            >

            > >Okay if I assume that all of the players are of
            > equal
            > >ability/experience, my first comment is that Taj is
            > >very much like poker with the decisions to be made
            > on
            > >when to go into a battle and when to stay out. Do
            > you
            >
            > Yes, quite possibly. But it's like only 12 hands of
            > poker and
            > luck over just 12 hands of poker can be astonishing
            > (having
            > played quite a bit of poker over the years). The
            > card draw from
            > the table helps, but not as much for me since I have
            > no desire to
            > remember every card someone took (if I'm in Elephant
            > mode, I do
            > remember where the dual elephants go - but
            > apparently several
            > were dealt out at the beginning of this game that I
            > couldn't
            > track). Maybe if there were 30 or 50 turns so that
            > you could
            > overcome a few early challenges. But then the game
            > would be very
            > long...

            I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
            play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
            drawn cards plays a huge part.

            > Perhaps, but my feeling was to scare them out of
            > battling in the
            > first place. It was obvious that I was likely to
            > win the battle,
            > but the challenges happened anyway...

            I can certainly see using this tactic, but I don't
            like giving more information than necessary to my
            opponents. I have been on the other end of the
            spectrum on a few occasions where I go with a double
            elephant and white elephant only to see noone
            challenge me in elephants which means that I probably
            overspent for the commodity.

            > Anyway, I did try some small cards on some rounds
            > and never got
            > away with a win of less than 3 cards (well, maybe
            > one round I
            > took something for 2 but it was amid a sea of longer
            > battles).
            > You say a person should know when to get out of a
            > battle before
            > burning too many cards - in this particular game, I
            > would have
            > only one or two little prizes the whole evening -
            > but i suppose I
            > would have had a good string of cards for the
            > endgame.

            A string of good cards in the endgame is well worth
            it. Given that each card in a suit is worth 1 point,
            that is probably roughly equivilent to the points
            gained by spending some of the cards in battles.

            > I did the best I could under the circumstances and
            > just fell
            > short of 3rd place by a point (and I battled hard
            > for that extra
            > point in the end - but Pete who typically needed
            > just one or two
            > cards per prize was able to outslug me).

            Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I first
            thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his Knizia
            list with Camels second - where do you put Taj Andrew?

            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 4 5:54 AM
              Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was avoiding addressing:
              C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I first
              thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his Knizia
              list with Camels second - where do you put Taj Andrew?
              <C

              It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is so very different, and which I've only played once? Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening :)

              Evasively,

              Andrew.
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4 5:55 AM
                > [Taj ~ poker snip]
                > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
                > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
                > drawn cards plays a huge part.

                Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't involve much card play. Lots
                of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is very little actual card
                play (although a few roll-over games we play do have the Taj feel). It's
                more a matter of revealing bits of information common information and
                balancing them against privately held information. I assumed you were
                talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But no matter.

                As far as luck goes - there is no real luck in the cards you can choose and
                very little luck in the cards overall, but there is the next closest thing
                to luck - that is where and when your opponents decide to battle. In a 5
                player game, if two sets of two people battle in a particular round and the
                5th person happens to get a prize for one card played, I don't always
                consider that a good play - he *was* fortunate (in whatever terms you want
                to place it) that the other players were either stronger in another area or
                simply decided to pursue a different area for whatever reason. A few
                "gifts" can go a long way to winning the game. A few long battles can go a
                long way to losing it. Yes, you can always pull out of a battle, but often
                you've spent a card and can just as easily be involved in the next battle.
                Without a few one or two card "gifts", you will struggle.

                It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very strong for me. But I'm
                always less prone to like games where the screwage is heavy. This is one of
                the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

                dber@...
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4 6:22 AM
                  --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

                  > > [Taj ~ poker snip]
                  > > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
                  > > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor
                  > of
                  > > drawn cards plays a huge part.
                  >
                  > Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't
                  > involve much card play. Lots
                  > of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is
                  > very little actual card
                  > play (although a few roll-over games we play do have
                  > the Taj feel). It's
                  > more a matter of revealing bits of information
                  > common information and
                  > balancing them against privately held information.
                  > I assumed you were
                  > talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But
                  > no matter.

                  I guess I was comparing Taj to Poker on the similarity
                  of feel around the bluffing and evaluation of others
                  cards based upon the the value of the region for them.
                  Thanks for clarifying my ambiguities.

                  > It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very
                  > strong for me. But I'm
                  > always less prone to like games where the screwage
                  > is heavy. This is one of
                  > the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

                  Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
                  hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
                  first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
                  classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

                  Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 4 6:31 AM
                    --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
                    > Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was
                    > avoiding addressing:
                    > C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I
                    > first
                    > thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his
                    > Knizia
                    > list with Camels second - where do you put Taj
                    > Andrew?
                    > <C
                    >
                    > It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among
                    > the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia
                    > games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is
                    > so very different, and which I've only played once?
                    > Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've
                    > yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening
                    > :)

                    I heard answers with more committment behind them in
                    the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
                    I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
                    later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

                    Okay - to fine tune the question - where would you put
                    Taj among other Knizia games of same ilk - Samurai,
                    Camels, T&E, Taj. Modern Art does fit in this group
                    for me, nor do his card games like Battle Line.

                    Speaking of Battleline, I'd be happy to give it a go
                    tonite - I actually packed Schotten Totten too, but
                    would love to see the new version. Andrew - I should
                    be done at work on the early side tonite - how early
                    can one show up at BLAH (considering I'm still allowed
                    after my comment above)

                    Craig - Unity's resident muckraker (or so it seems)

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 4 6:38 AM
                      > [Andrew side-steps the issue snip]
                      > I heard answers with more committment behind them in
                      > the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
                      > I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
                      > later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

                      Yeah... Andrew's using that 'Fuzzy Math' again.

                      As for me -- the ratings of the big 4 you mentioned:

                      E&T
                      Samurai
                      Taj
                      DdW

                      But all are excellent so it's splitting hairs...

                      dber@...
                    • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 4 7:23 AM
                        > Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
                        > hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
                        > first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
                        > classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

                        Yeah, yeah, put the technical writer to work. Hey, I'm too busy with Candyland variants. All part of the parental duty, you know?

                        > Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

                        You mean "who's".

                        On the subject of Sunday, I'd like to note a few games I'd like to play Sunday:
                        San Francisco, Kaufleute von Amsterdam, La Citta`.
                        Anyone else?

                        BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon, so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now! Dave, do you want names?

                        Walter
                      • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 4 7:37 AM
                          OK, Dave and Craig have shamed me into expressing a preference.

                          E&T (second only to Go)
                          DdW
                          Samurai
                          Taj

                          The biggest gap is the one between DdW and Samurai, and the smallest, the one between Samurai and Taj.

                          It's interesting that Craig asked for a comparison of Taj with the tile-laying trilogy. My one victory at Taj (out of four or five games so far) was with the "tile-laying" or "longest road" strategy.

                          As a Non-Resident Alien (to use the charming term of your INS), I will not be drawn into any discussion of how You the People choose your presidents... well, not on this list anyway!

                          Craig, the record for early arrival for BLAH's 6:30pm start stands at 6pm. There are no prizes for breaking it! If I'd be keeping records, I could probably report that Alison's mean time of arrival is 6:29:53 (i.e. 7 seconds early), with a standard deviation of about a minute!

                          I should be done inhaling dinner and clearing most things that aren't card games off the tables by around 6:15. Any time after then is fine.

                          Andrew.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 4 8:32 AM
                            Walter wrote:
                            > [Unity Games]
                            > BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon,
                            >so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along
                            >with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now!

                            We currently stood at about 39 (it's hard to judge - people may or may not
                            be bringing one or more other gamers). So, yes, we are likely over 40 now.
                            I've already got Lisa's name badge ready - you put her on the list early so
                            it's good to come though on your original sign-ups :)

                            >Dave, do you want names?

                            If you like... But I'm just about done with the name badges. About 35 are
                            printed up. I'll do a few more for those on the list - but then it will
                            just be blanks that can be filled out that day. I have to print in batches
                            of 4 - and currently there are 3 waiting in the queue for another.

                            I'll give you the sign-up sheet I drafted up when I arrive on Sunday - it's
                            basically a list of ticket #'s and we can fill in the names of people as
                            they arrive so that we have a roll call for the day (and so that Mark can
                            find the people when he pulls ticket numbers for prizes). Also, I'm in the
                            process of making up a game-record sheet for people to write down games they
                            played with participants. It will be something *very* simple - and won't
                            take much time to fill in after a game (no scores or ratings needed this
                            time around). My goal is to get a record of all games played during the
                            day - and I'll need some help from people at all the other tables. This
                            game record will likely be at the head table so after a game, feel free to
                            jog up there and fill it in.

                            The idea is that this paperwork should be minimal and take up almost no time
                            on the participants part - which will leave most of the day to playing games
                            as it should be. If it starts to take up a disproportionate amount of time,
                            I'll just pull it and skip trying to get a record of what was played.

                            Finally - for those who have not heard, the prizes for UG1 have arrived
                            safely. Boulder Games has thrown in some excellent free stuff in addition to
                            the normal prizes and Walter was able to secure gift cert. from a local shop
                            called The Whiz in Westboro. Greg Schloesser has offered us a 3 month free
                            membership to the Strategy Gaming Society (5% discounts, The Strategist mag,
                            etc) as a prize. Plenty of people have offered to donate some small stuff.
                            Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                            nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                            dber@...
                          • Mark Edwards
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 4 8:57 AM
                              Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                              > Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                              > nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                              Or else I'll force you to play 5 player Taj Mahal with me until I get cranky and boorish!

                              Mark (who's still feeling a bit guilty, but not to worry, I'll be well over the guilt by Sunday! ;-) )

                              "Ahh, humor you seek. Fail you will!" - My Conversation With Yoda
                            • David Rapp
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 4 8:58 AM
                                Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                                kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 4 9:15 AM

                                  > Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                                  > kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                                  That won't be a problem, I suspect! Our group has made it a filler most
                                  weeks and I'm sure it will get some play time Sunday. On a side-note, I did
                                  finally get my copy of Bluff after finally deciding (over the past year)
                                  that it belongs in my collection (I was using a home-made set since it's
                                  just Dice, Cups and small board - but an official set is worthwhile
                                  especially since you can pick one up on ebay fairly cheaply).

                                  dber@...
                                • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 5 5:53 AM
                                    Hey Dave,

                                    Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                                    ----------------------
                                    Walter H. Hunt
                                    Senior Technical Writer
                                    VistaSource, Inc.
                                    114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
                                    (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

                                    millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
                                  • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 5 5:56 AM
                                      I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. That was supposed to be e-mail, not broadcast to the group.

                                      I designed a little flyer for Sunday. I'll have a sample to show at SSG Saturday if anyone wants to make last-minute suggestions.

                                      ----------------------

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 5 6:04 AM

                                        > Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                                        Walter (I assume you meant to send that email privately, but the group might
                                        appreciate your efforts),

                                        UG1 flyer looks great! I sent you a detailed message on it this morning to
                                        your home email. Looks near professional quality :)

                                        Be sure to print up at least 40 of them for the event.

                                        Two new people asked to come to UG1 yesterday (both probable, not definite).
                                        Just when I thought we had maxed out. But we lost one person so it's
                                        probably a wash. To be honest, I've done the best I could to track who will
                                        be going, but I suspect it may still be a surprise who actually shows up on
                                        Sunday.

                                        Woke up this morning thinking it was UG-minus-four. But it's really
                                        UG-minus-three so that got me a bit more excited about waking up today!

                                        dber@...
                                      • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 5 6:11 AM
                                          Same place (Holliston), same time (7 PM).

                                          I have the usual tub o'games with me. For Mark E.: Venture is in the box. For Mark T.: I brought my Siedler box, as well as Siedler: Staedte & Ritter, so you can take a look at that if you show.

                                          Anyone interested in seeing the site of UG 1 can pay us a Thursday night visit. It'll be less hectic than Sunday, anyway --