B&N Report or Dawn of the Brain Dead Gamers!

  • Mark Edwards
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 3, 2000
      Just a few quick comments (and a caution) on last night's Barnes and Noble gaming.

      Amazing Labyrinth: A neat game, which I kinda think is more for kids than adults. Luck plays a big role but it certainly helps if you are good with some spatial juggling and mazes in general. It's kind of like a much lighter Ricochet Robot.

      Exxtra: Well, it's a dice fest, but it's a fun dice fest! At least it probably was for those folks that were able to get off the start space. Heheh.

      Taj Mahal: ****WARNING****, Remind me never to play this when my brain is working on half power (insert barb here). After several more plays with 5 players I'm beginning to think that it really doesn't play well with 5. We had a reasonably close game, although Dave and I knew we were out of it pretty early on. But in every game I've played with 5 players there's always one player who gets completely dusted. And after being on the receiving end of that a couple of times I can tell you it's not a whole lot of fun.
      Perhaps there's just too much competition for the given number of pieces, I dunno. But I find the gap between getting freebie gifts (spending one card to gather 1 or more prizes) and spending 3 or 4 or 5 cards every time out due to competition too great.
      In our game I was the unfortunate one, I never got out of a battle (besides the very first) without spending at least 2 cards, usually more. In one strange battle I set out on taking the commodity in mind, only to be battled to the death by Richard who thought I was going after other stuff. But that wasn't the battle that crippled me, it was the next one, after taking a province off to recoup. Again I went into battle, 6 cards in my main suit, posting 3 elephants on my first turn, only to see Dave match them, and again it ended in a battle to the death. I actually won both battles but lost the war.
      In fact I must've started 4 or 5 province battles with 3 elephants and rarely came away with them (the two pyric victories above being the exception). What's weird is that I didn't match others elephants, I was the first one out in them, it's just that other folks matched me. Mind you this wasn't because I was winning and they were trying to deny me points, I was trailing most of the game, but rather they were simply after the commodities on the same turn I was. What's even more weird is that there were few other major battles for elephants other than the ones I was involved in. As a matter of fact Richard (the eventual winner) got off with the commodities in a certain province by spending only *1*! elephant.
      Now all that may sound like a bit of sour apples, and it is, it just wasn't a fun game of Taj, which I love. Regardless my moral of the day stands and I'll return to my first sentence, NEVER play this game on half power!!! I just was not mentally charged enough for this game, and I think you've got to be to play properly. Dave was in the same boat, and expressed his hesitation to play beforehand, but gamely played anyway. We were both pretty miserable throughout (and made sure everyone at the table knew it! Heheheh). Made only more miserable by the fact that the leaders actually seemed to think we were in contention when we knew we weren't (we both had gone for the elephant strategy and neither of us was mentally agile or lucky enough to be able to switch
      off it, thus the 4th and 5th place players were battling it out till the end, doh!!!).

      Fluxx: Now HERE's a game you can play without a lot of though required, and the proof of that is that *I* won! It's a fairly mindless game, which I don't mind, but it's not a favorite.

      Mark

      "Ahh, humor you seek. Fail you will!" - My Conversation With Yoda
    • Walter Hunt [ext ]
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 3, 2000
        You look like you're ready for some Reiner Knizia Candyland. Boy, I can't believe that no one read that message -- I assumed people would be all over me for that! Is it because I didn't use the word "weasel" in the review?

        ----------------------
        Walter H. Hunt
        Senior Technical Writer
        VistaSource, Inc.
        114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
        (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

        millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 3, 2000
          > [Taj Snippage]
          >Dave was in the same boat, and expressed his hesitation
          >to play beforehand, but gamely played anyway. We were both pretty
          miserable throughout ...

          Yes - and I feel badly for the other players. I was high spirited to begin
          the evening - and usually hold that throughout any game session -- but Taj
          really drained me last night. Or maybe I was running near empty to begin
          with? Dunno...

          Taj has fallen ever so slightly from it's high perch for me. I still like
          the game, but the more I play the more I realize I don't like the hosage
          that can potentially occur to one or two of the players. We've had the
          discussion that there is very little luck in the game - and as I've said I
          wouldn't mind a bit more luck... but the biggest problem in Taj (IMO) is
          there is serious potential of being screwed by someone who happens to have
          and play the cards that affect you just as you try to execute a play.
          Several times I passed to get strong cards to match those crappy ones I was
          dealt, only to play them at the same time that someone else decided to
          challenge me in those areas. Had I tried it a turn earlier or a turn later,
          I might have gotten away with a single card victory. Timing was
          everything - and I couldn't seem to do anything to predict it. Maybe I'm an
          inferior Taj player - but I had no idea when a player was going to drop
          cards in a challenge. I got to be the start player twice - and both times I
          used a dual-elephant and a white-elephant for the maximum elephant effect
          and both times I was subsequently challenged (once by two different players
          as it came round to me again). I was tied for last place one of the times
          so I don't think there was any bash the leader effect - it just happened to
          be a turn where those players wanted the chit (although from the chits they
          already had, it didn't seem that important but sometimes it's hard to figure
          out when and why people battle). Once, I tried to pull out quickly when I
          saw that I was to be challenged - saving the better cards - only to be
          challenged by a different player the very next turn. Sure, you can say that
          I should have spotted this conflict coming - but for me it's near impossible
          to remember every card taken in the 5P game and I'm still not sure when
          people will unleash them. In one particular turn, I played a card to steer
          clear of everyone who had gone before me hoping that I would escape with
          little conflict - but my left hand neighbor had already chosen his cards,
          had them face down on the table before I played and was going to play them
          regardless of what I played - and he turned over the item I was battling for
          and so I was in for another long battle (which I won, but it hardly mattered
          when it costs 6 cards). Mid-way though the game, I had 2 castles on the
          board. Consider it luck or random opponent behavior or my inability to
          track cards, it's not much fun to watch other people win a battle with a
          single card on the table - get out early and pick up good cards while nearly
          every battle you enter is 3-5 cards deep. Unlike many German games I'm
          fond of - I don't think you can easily recover from several turns where the
          battles were too costly. I'm sure I'll get some arguments there - but in
          most of the 5P games I've played, there was one or two players who had
          costly conflicts early and could never recover while one or two players
          sailed through conflicts with a single card victory and came out near the
          top of the heap. I've been on both ends of this spectrum and so I don't
          think it's sour grapes (but it could be! hehheh...).

          In this particular game, it was even made worse by the fact that most
          everyone seemed to think I was leading (maybe they were looking at the
          scoring track backwards?!?). Even near the end of the game when it was
          readily apparent who the three leaders were, there was just not much
          conflict between them - they were content to stay out of eachother's way -
          and at that point I had so few cards left that I couldn't win a battle to
          save my life.

          Still a very good game, but my 8.5 (borderline 9) rating for Taj has
          dropped. I gave it a 7.5 rating last night which is unduly harsh and is
          probably higher (like an 8) - but it's not heading in the upwards direction
          anymore. Mark's rating also dropped from a high of 9 in the summer to an
          8 - but I suspect it was low for the same reasons as mine was - we were both
          out of this particular game early.

          dber@...
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 3, 2000
            First question I would ask - what is the overall
            experience level of all of the players from last nite?
            I realize that you and mark have played quite a bit,
            but what about the other 3. This is a game where a
            newish player can be a randomizing factor and cause
            some painful battles that they probably shouldn't be
            in allowing others to get away with really cheap
            gains.

            --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
            > Taj has fallen ever so slightly from it's high perch
            > for me. I still like
            > the game, but the more I play the more I realize I
            > don't like the hosage
            > that can potentially occur to one or two of the
            > players. We've had the.....
            Snip of Taj discussion

            Okay if I assume that all of the players are of equal
            ability/experience, my first comment is that Taj is
            very much like poker with the decisions to be made on
            when to go into a battle and when to stay out. Do you
            bluff, or go strong (a la 3 elephants). I find that
            playing in the lead position or even the 2nd position
            in a 5 player game, it is worth it to invest small on
            your initial play and invest big when you play later
            in a turn 4th or 5th. This gives players going last
            the least amount of knowledge while conserving cards
            if for you if you are unsure of your strength relative
            to other hands - sort of like betting the min. amount
            on a a medium pair in 5 card draw. The game does
            reward card counting or at least close card
            consideration. I also think that you can somewhat
            predict what people will go for based upon their
            current collection in the mid to late game.

            > In this particular game, it was even made worse by
            > the fact that most
            > everyone seemed to think I was leading (maybe they
            > were looking at the
            > scoring track backwards?!?)....snip of leader
            bashing comments.

            Taj has a leader bashing problem insofar as it is
            incredibly hard to ascertain who the leader is in the
            early and midgame and perceived leader bashing can be
            a problem. I think you can afford to lose on average
            1.5 large battles, but loosing a large battle anytime
            after round 8 is almost impossible to recover from.
            Loosing a battle in rounds 1 or 2 or even three can be
            okay if you build back up. But the later that major
            loss comes, the harder it is to make up ground and
            more critical it becomes not to lose another major
            one.

            > Still a very good game, but my 8.5 (borderline 9)
            > rating for Taj has
            > dropped. I gave it a 7.5 rating last night which
            > is unduly harsh and is
            > probably higher (like an 8) - but it's not heading
            > in the upwards direction
            > anymore. Mark's rating also dropped from a high of
            > 9 in the summer to an....Snipping of ratings talk.

            Taj is my only 10 game from this year's crop. I said
            a long time ago that the strategies and tactical plays
            are very subtle. It is very low on luck, but
            dependent on players who know the game. Again I have
            seen newer players stay in battles they shouldn't
            really hurting themselves and another player while the
            other get a steal. 5p Taj isn't my favorite number
            for the game, although I like it better than 3. 4 I
            think is the best. With 5, it is almost impossible to
            pick one area of focus and if someone gets away with
            doing that - say commodities, the game is a run away
            (back to the newer player problem). I have given Taj
            lower ratings than a 10 by the way based upon my
            experience too

            I totally agree that this isn't a game to play with
            the tank half empty. It can be a bit of a brain
            drain. I find that I think more playing taj than
            almost any of Knizia's games other than T&E. Samurai
            comes a close 2nd.

            Great comments dave - Taj is a game that I think
            deserves a much deeper look.

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • AndAgainMA@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 3, 2000
              It sounds as though I'd have fit right in had I been there.

              I'm sorry I missed Amazing Labyrinth. Mark recommends it for kids: at what
              age would you start them on it? David Vander Ark’s Games for Kids page says
              it'll work for 5 and up, whereas the box says 8 and up.

              Exxtra and Fluxx... the X-games, dudes! I think these two are probably at the
              limit of craziness for a B&N session. Good games both.

              Taj Mahal... the debate continues. I know what Mark means. I think that this
              is where luck, or one of her very close relatives, comes into Taj more than I
              like in games that are not both light and short. I still like Taj, but there
              are a bunch of games by the same designer I prefer.

              Taj connection 1 (of 2). My favorite Knizia game is E&T (with Thru the
              Desert, a great game in its own right, a distant second). The fifth and last
              in the series of six shows Reiner did on The Board Room recently went on
              line, and very interesting I found it. He talks about the development and
              testing of E&T.

              Taj connection 2 (of 2). I'm not sure whether I would have been rooting for
              Taj to win the Deutscher SpielePreis had I played La Citta in time. They are
              both 8.5 games at the moment, with Taj in decline and La Citta on the rise.

              I posted a report on our game of La Citta at BoardgameGeek. I boldly
              mentioned Citta sheets and scoring variants. Those familiar with the
              nefarious schemes of the Anti-Variant Front (AVF) will not be surprised at
              what happened. The report was available for only a few hours when it was
              overwritten by another report from the same session, the other report having
              been written by... Dave B. Coincidence? I think not.

              My report on La Citta has now been restored... but how long before we see
              more dirty tricks from the AVF? GeekGate will not be their last foul act,
              mark my words.

              Andrew, whose own La Citta (and Battle Line, and...) just arrived.
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:

                >Okay if I assume that all of the players are of equal
                >ability/experience, my first comment is that Taj is
                >very much like poker with the decisions to be made on
                >when to go into a battle and when to stay out. Do you

                Yes, quite possibly. But it's like only 12 hands of poker and
                luck over just 12 hands of poker can be astonishing (having
                played quite a bit of poker over the years). The card draw from
                the table helps, but not as much for me since I have no desire to
                remember every card someone took (if I'm in Elephant mode, I do
                remember where the dual elephants go - but apparently several
                were dealt out at the beginning of this game that I couldn't
                track). Maybe if there were 30 or 50 turns so that you could
                overcome a few early challenges. But then the game would be very
                long...

                >bluff, or go strong (a la 3 elephants). I find that
                >playing in the lead position or even the 2nd position
                >in a 5 player game, it is worth it to invest small on
                >your initial play and invest big when you play later
                >in a turn 4th or 5th.

                Perhaps, but my feeling was to scare them out of battling in the
                first place. It was obvious that I was likely to win the battle,
                but the challenges happened anyway...

                Anyway, I did try some small cards on some rounds and never got
                away with a win of less than 3 cards (well, maybe one round I
                took something for 2 but it was amid a sea of longer battles).
                You say a person should know when to get out of a battle before
                burning too many cards - in this particular game, I would have
                only one or two little prizes the whole evening - but i suppose I
                would have had a good string of cards for the endgame.

                I did the best I could under the circumstances and just fell
                short of 3rd place by a point (and I battled hard for that extra
                point in the end - but Pete who typically needed just one or two
                cards per prize was able to outslug me).

                dber@...
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                  AndAgainMA@... wrote:

                  >I posted a report on our game of La Citta at BoardgameGeek. I boldly
                  >mentioned Citta sheets and scoring variants. Those familiar with the
                  >nefarious schemes of the Anti-Variant Front (AVF) will not be surprised at
                  >what happened. The report was available for only a few hours when it was
                  >overwritten by another report from the same session, the other report having
                  >been written by... Dave B. Coincidence? I think not.

                  Actually, I haven't posted much to the BoardGameGeek database.
                  Derk Solko asked me if he could pilfer my webpage for back
                  reports and so he is automating the process of entering the
                  sessions from my page. I suspect you were a victim of the
                  automation... Tons of SSG material is now available at
                  www.boardgamegeek.com.

                  Also please think about a visit to enter your data into the World
                  Gamers Database:

                  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wgd

                  dber@...
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                    --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
                    > Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > >Okay if I assume that all of the players are of
                    > equal
                    > >ability/experience, my first comment is that Taj is
                    > >very much like poker with the decisions to be made
                    > on
                    > >when to go into a battle and when to stay out. Do
                    > you
                    >
                    > Yes, quite possibly. But it's like only 12 hands of
                    > poker and
                    > luck over just 12 hands of poker can be astonishing
                    > (having
                    > played quite a bit of poker over the years). The
                    > card draw from
                    > the table helps, but not as much for me since I have
                    > no desire to
                    > remember every card someone took (if I'm in Elephant
                    > mode, I do
                    > remember where the dual elephants go - but
                    > apparently several
                    > were dealt out at the beginning of this game that I
                    > couldn't
                    > track). Maybe if there were 30 or 50 turns so that
                    > you could
                    > overcome a few early challenges. But then the game
                    > would be very
                    > long...

                    I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
                    play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
                    drawn cards plays a huge part.

                    > Perhaps, but my feeling was to scare them out of
                    > battling in the
                    > first place. It was obvious that I was likely to
                    > win the battle,
                    > but the challenges happened anyway...

                    I can certainly see using this tactic, but I don't
                    like giving more information than necessary to my
                    opponents. I have been on the other end of the
                    spectrum on a few occasions where I go with a double
                    elephant and white elephant only to see noone
                    challenge me in elephants which means that I probably
                    overspent for the commodity.

                    > Anyway, I did try some small cards on some rounds
                    > and never got
                    > away with a win of less than 3 cards (well, maybe
                    > one round I
                    > took something for 2 but it was amid a sea of longer
                    > battles).
                    > You say a person should know when to get out of a
                    > battle before
                    > burning too many cards - in this particular game, I
                    > would have
                    > only one or two little prizes the whole evening -
                    > but i suppose I
                    > would have had a good string of cards for the
                    > endgame.

                    A string of good cards in the endgame is well worth
                    it. Given that each card in a suit is worth 1 point,
                    that is probably roughly equivilent to the points
                    gained by spending some of the cards in battles.

                    > I did the best I could under the circumstances and
                    > just fell
                    > short of 3rd place by a point (and I battled hard
                    > for that extra
                    > point in the end - but Pete who typically needed
                    > just one or two
                    > cards per prize was able to outslug me).

                    Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I first
                    thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his Knizia
                    list with Camels second - where do you put Taj Andrew?

                    Craig

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                      Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was avoiding addressing:
                      C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I first
                      thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his Knizia
                      list with Camels second - where do you put Taj Andrew?
                      <C

                      It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is so very different, and which I've only played once? Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening :)

                      Evasively,

                      Andrew.
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                        > [Taj ~ poker snip]
                        > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
                        > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor of
                        > drawn cards plays a huge part.

                        Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't involve much card play. Lots
                        of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is very little actual card
                        play (although a few roll-over games we play do have the Taj feel). It's
                        more a matter of revealing bits of information common information and
                        balancing them against privately held information. I assumed you were
                        talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But no matter.

                        As far as luck goes - there is no real luck in the cards you can choose and
                        very little luck in the cards overall, but there is the next closest thing
                        to luck - that is where and when your opponents decide to battle. In a 5
                        player game, if two sets of two people battle in a particular round and the
                        5th person happens to get a prize for one card played, I don't always
                        consider that a good play - he *was* fortunate (in whatever terms you want
                        to place it) that the other players were either stronger in another area or
                        simply decided to pursue a different area for whatever reason. A few
                        "gifts" can go a long way to winning the game. A few long battles can go a
                        long way to losing it. Yes, you can always pull out of a battle, but often
                        you've spent a card and can just as easily be involved in the next battle.
                        Without a few one or two card "gifts", you will struggle.

                        It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very strong for me. But I'm
                        always less prone to like games where the screwage is heavy. This is one of
                        the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

                        dber@...
                      • Craig Massey
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                          --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:

                          > > [Taj ~ poker snip]
                          > > I'm likening Taj to Poker with respect to the card
                          > > play - again, I don't think that the luck factor
                          > of
                          > > drawn cards plays a huge part.
                          >
                          > Ahh... well, most games of poker we play don't
                          > involve much card play. Lots
                          > of Hold'em and 7-card stud variants - so there is
                          > very little actual card
                          > play (although a few roll-over games we play do have
                          > the Taj feel). It's
                          > more a matter of revealing bits of information
                          > common information and
                          > balancing them against privately held information.
                          > I assumed you were
                          > talking more on the evaluation / bluffing side. But
                          > no matter.

                          I guess I was comparing Taj to Poker on the similarity
                          of feel around the bluffing and evaluation of others
                          cards based upon the the value of the region for them.
                          Thanks for clarifying my ambiguities.

                          > It doesn't mean I dislike the game, it's still very
                          > strong for me. But I'm
                          > always less prone to like games where the screwage
                          > is heavy. This is one of
                          > the reasons I'm not overly fond of Manhattan.

                          Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
                          hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
                          first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
                          classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

                          Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

                          =====
                          Craig W. Massey
                          cwmassey@...

                          http://photos.yahoo.com/
                        • Craig Massey
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                            --- AndAgainMA@... wrote:
                            > Craig comes out and asks me the very question I was
                            > avoiding addressing:
                            > C>Taj is a tough game - certainly tougher than I
                            > first
                            > thought. I saw andrew put T&E at the top of his
                            > Knizia
                            > list with Camels second - where do you put Taj
                            > Andrew?
                            > <C
                            >
                            > It's not clear to me exactly where Taj belongs among
                            > the hordes of 8.something (by my rating) Knizia
                            > games. How to compare it with Modern Art, which is
                            > so very different, and which I've only played once?
                            > Or with Battle Line, again different, and which I've
                            > yet to play? Perhaps at card game night this evening
                            > :)

                            I heard answers with more committment behind them in
                            the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
                            I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
                            later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

                            Okay - to fine tune the question - where would you put
                            Taj among other Knizia games of same ilk - Samurai,
                            Camels, T&E, Taj. Modern Art does fit in this group
                            for me, nor do his card games like Battle Line.

                            Speaking of Battleline, I'd be happy to give it a go
                            tonite - I actually packed Schotten Totten too, but
                            would love to see the new version. Andrew - I should
                            be done at work on the early side tonite - how early
                            can one show up at BLAH (considering I'm still allowed
                            after my comment above)

                            Craig - Unity's resident muckraker (or so it seems)

                            =====
                            Craig W. Massey
                            cwmassey@...

                            http://photos.yahoo.com/
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                              > [Andrew side-steps the issue snip]
                              > I heard answers with more committment behind them in
                              > the debate last nite than Andrew's on Taj. (Last time
                              > I made a political reference to BLAH, I was lambasted
                              > later that week, let's see what this one gets me)

                              Yeah... Andrew's using that 'Fuzzy Math' again.

                              As for me -- the ratings of the big 4 you mentioned:

                              E&T
                              Samurai
                              Taj
                              DdW

                              But all are excellent so it's splitting hairs...

                              dber@...
                            • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                > Screwage - another technical term fromt he gaming
                                > hobby - maybe we should get Walter to compose the
                                > first Unity glossary of terms adding screwage to such
                                > classics as weaselopolis, AVF, and others.

                                Yeah, yeah, put the technical writer to work. Hey, I'm too busy with Candyland variants. All part of the parental duty, you know?

                                > Craig whose hoping to play Taj on Sunday.

                                You mean "who's".

                                On the subject of Sunday, I'd like to note a few games I'd like to play Sunday:
                                San Francisco, Kaufleute von Amsterdam, La Citta`.
                                Anyone else?

                                BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon, so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now! Dave, do you want names?

                                Walter
                              • AndAgainMA@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                  OK, Dave and Craig have shamed me into expressing a preference.

                                  E&T (second only to Go)
                                  DdW
                                  Samurai
                                  Taj

                                  The biggest gap is the one between DdW and Samurai, and the smallest, the one between Samurai and Taj.

                                  It's interesting that Craig asked for a comparison of Taj with the tile-laying trilogy. My one victory at Taj (out of four or five games so far) was with the "tile-laying" or "longest road" strategy.

                                  As a Non-Resident Alien (to use the charming term of your INS), I will not be drawn into any discussion of how You the People choose your presidents... well, not on this list anyway!

                                  Craig, the record for early arrival for BLAH's 6:30pm start stands at 6pm. There are no prizes for breaking it! If I'd be keeping records, I could probably report that Alison's mean time of arrival is 6:29:53 (i.e. 7 seconds early), with a standard deviation of about a minute!

                                  I should be done inhaling dinner and clearing most things that aren't card games off the tables by around 6:15. Any time after then is fine.

                                  Andrew.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    Walter wrote:
                                    > [Unity Games]
                                    > BTW, we arranged a babysitter for the afternoon,
                                    >so Lisa (my _much_ better half!) will be coming, along
                                    >with two other old MVGAers, so we must be over 40 now!

                                    We currently stood at about 39 (it's hard to judge - people may or may not
                                    be bringing one or more other gamers). So, yes, we are likely over 40 now.
                                    I've already got Lisa's name badge ready - you put her on the list early so
                                    it's good to come though on your original sign-ups :)

                                    >Dave, do you want names?

                                    If you like... But I'm just about done with the name badges. About 35 are
                                    printed up. I'll do a few more for those on the list - but then it will
                                    just be blanks that can be filled out that day. I have to print in batches
                                    of 4 - and currently there are 3 waiting in the queue for another.

                                    I'll give you the sign-up sheet I drafted up when I arrive on Sunday - it's
                                    basically a list of ticket #'s and we can fill in the names of people as
                                    they arrive so that we have a roll call for the day (and so that Mark can
                                    find the people when he pulls ticket numbers for prizes). Also, I'm in the
                                    process of making up a game-record sheet for people to write down games they
                                    played with participants. It will be something *very* simple - and won't
                                    take much time to fill in after a game (no scores or ratings needed this
                                    time around). My goal is to get a record of all games played during the
                                    day - and I'll need some help from people at all the other tables. This
                                    game record will likely be at the head table so after a game, feel free to
                                    jog up there and fill it in.

                                    The idea is that this paperwork should be minimal and take up almost no time
                                    on the participants part - which will leave most of the day to playing games
                                    as it should be. If it starts to take up a disproportionate amount of time,
                                    I'll just pull it and skip trying to get a record of what was played.

                                    Finally - for those who have not heard, the prizes for UG1 have arrived
                                    safely. Boulder Games has thrown in some excellent free stuff in addition to
                                    the normal prizes and Walter was able to secure gift cert. from a local shop
                                    called The Whiz in Westboro. Greg Schloesser has offered us a 3 month free
                                    membership to the Strategy Gaming Society (5% discounts, The Strategist mag,
                                    etc) as a prize. Plenty of people have offered to donate some small stuff.
                                    Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                                    nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                                    dber@...
                                  • Mark Edwards
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                      Dave Bernazzani wrote:

                                      > Mark Edwards has volunteered to run the prize table throughout the day so be
                                      > nice to him, OK? hehheh :)

                                      Or else I'll force you to play 5 player Taj Mahal with me until I get cranky and boorish!

                                      Mark (who's still feeling a bit guilty, but not to worry, I'll be well over the guilt by Sunday! ;-) )

                                      "Ahh, humor you seek. Fail you will!" - My Conversation With Yoda
                                    • David Rapp
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                        Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                                        kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000

                                          > Here's hoping I'll finally get a chance to play Bluff this Sunday! Also,
                                          > kind of hoping to try Tabula Rasa if someone has it...

                                          That won't be a problem, I suspect! Our group has made it a filler most
                                          weeks and I'm sure it will get some play time Sunday. On a side-note, I did
                                          finally get my copy of Bluff after finally deciding (over the past year)
                                          that it belongs in my collection (I was using a home-made set since it's
                                          just Dice, Cups and small board - but an official set is worthwhile
                                          especially since you can pick one up on ebay fairly cheaply).

                                          dber@...
                                        • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                                            Hey Dave,

                                            Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                                            ----------------------

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                                              I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. That was supposed to be e-mail, not broadcast to the group.

                                              I designed a little flyer for Sunday. I'll have a sample to show at SSG Saturday if anyone wants to make last-minute suggestions.

                                              ----------------------

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000

                                                > Did you see the flyer PDF I sent you last night? What do you think?

                                                Walter (I assume you meant to send that email privately, but the group might
                                                appreciate your efforts),

                                                UG1 flyer looks great! I sent you a detailed message on it this morning to
                                                your home email. Looks near professional quality :)

                                                Be sure to print up at least 40 of them for the event.

                                                Two new people asked to come to UG1 yesterday (both probable, not definite).
                                                Just when I thought we had maxed out. But we lost one person so it's
                                                probably a wash. To be honest, I've done the best I could to track who will
                                                be going, but I suspect it may still be a surprise who actually shows up on
                                                Sunday.

                                                Woke up this morning thinking it was UG-minus-four. But it's really
                                                UG-minus-three so that got me a bit more excited about waking up today!

                                                dber@...
                                              • Walter Hunt [ext ]
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 5, 2000
                                                  Same place (Holliston), same time (7 PM).

                                                  I have the usual tub o'games with me. For Mark E.: Venture is in the box. For Mark T.: I brought my Siedler box, as well as Siedler: Staedte & Ritter, so you can take a look at that if you show.

                                                  Anyone interested in seeing the site of UG 1 can pay us a Thursday night visit. It'll be less hectic than Sunday, anyway --