Spiele 2000 in Essen

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2000
      I am fortunate enough to be attending the game fair in Essen this
      year, and thought I would solicit opinions on this list for what I
      should be sure to see, buy, etc.

      Obviously, I'll be looking at many of the new releases, but in
      particular I'm interested if anyone has suggestions for games or
      publishers I should pay special attention to. Last night, Dave
      mentioned Adlung Spiele (makers of Verrater) as a company that makes
      cheap, small, good games, and given luggage constraints, I may come
      back with several of their games. Other suggestions?

      Are there particularly good, yet hard to find in or out of print games
      that I'll likely find there, but not here? I'm going to try to get a
      copy of Kohle, Kies, & Knete, which I haven't been able to find in the
      US.

      Any other thoughts or opinions are welcome.

      ...Matthew
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2000
        > I am fortunate enough to be attending the game fair in Essen this
        > year, and thought I would solicit opinions on this list for what I
        > should be sure to see, buy, etc.

        Lucky dog! :)

        I'd look seriously at Corne van Moorsel and specifically at the game MORISI.
        It's a 2-4 player updated version of ISI which is one of my favorite 2
        player games. Art is supposedly much better and copies this time will reach
        2000 (instead of the very limited run of 200 for ISI). Both Funagain and
        Boulder Games will be carrying them (my understanding is that the next
        Boulder Notes will feature an article on MORISI by the developer).

        Splotter Spiel (sp?) usually has some nice home-made stuff. Roads and Boats
        was in great demand after the previous Essen '99 and so I suspect they will
        have something on hand. A new batch of Roads and Boats is supposed to be
        released soon.

        dber@...
      • Craig Massey
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2000
          --- Dave Bernazzani <dber@...> wrote:
          > Lucky dog! :)

          Yeah, what Dave said!!! Of course the Unity List will
          expect a full report when you return won't we guys.
          ;-)

          > I'd look seriously at Corne van Moorsel and
          > specifically at the game MORISI.
          > It's a 2-4 player updated version of ISI which is
          > one of my favorite 2
          > player games. Art is supposedly much better and
          > copies this time will reach
          > 2000 (instead of the very limited run of 200 for
          > ISI). Both Funagain and
          > Boulder Games will be carrying them (my
          > understanding is that the next
          > Boulder Notes will feature an article on MORISI by
          > the developer).

          I would second Dave's suggestion here. Isi is a
          wonderful two player gamer and I'm dying to get a copy
          of Morisi.

          > Splotter Spiel (sp?) usually has some nice home-made
          > stuff. Roads and Boats
          > was in great demand after the previous Essen '99 and
          > so I suspect they will
          > have something on hand. A new batch of Roads and
          > Boats is supposed to be
          > released soon.

          If you want any of the Splotter games, get to their
          booth early. The demand for Roads and Boats is pretty
          high as is the demand for Bus. I wouldn't expect
          either to be available after the first day.

          Other games to look for - Richard Breese has the next
          game in his trilogy - Keytown. Again, check out his
          booth early. I think the best finds at Essen are the
          games from small companies/designers that may not be
          available for long unless they get picked up for
          publishing by one of the big guys.

          For the full skinny on Essen make sure you check Mik
          Svellov's site before you go. Lots of information
          there to help navigate the show.

          http://brettboard.dk/clmns/trvls/sp00c.htm

          =====
          Craig W. Massey