SNOB Report

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
      The first session of Slightly North Of Boston gaming at Your Move
      Games occured last night. In attendance were Dave Rapp, Brian Tivol,
      Matthew and Carrie Gray.

      We started off with a game of Castle, which I had recently obtained.
      Dave asserted that whoever gets the Merchant will win, and he
      proceeded to get the Merchant, and win. I think this game is somewhat
      better with 2 players, and may be further improved by imposing a hand
      limit, but I'd try it again even with the standard rules.

      Then we played a game Dave had brought "Sticheln", which means
      "Prick", with supposedly all the same nuances. This game struck me as
      inverted Schnaeppchen Jagd, and I enjoyed it a lot. Carrie won, with
      the final score as Carrie 45, Matthew 39, Brian 17, Dave 9. Carrie
      and I were accused of colluding, but it came down to an interesting
      question in the game in which we each chose the "nice" option.
      Basically, the deicision is as follows:

      Give yourself 4 points, or give one of your opponents -15 points. In
      each case we chose the 4 points for ourselves. It's not clear whether
      this is optimal, but giving one opponent -15 points helps everyone,
      not just you, so I think the +4 option may be better. Dave implied
      when he'd played before there was a lot more of people burning each
      other.

      At this point Carrie had to leave, and we decided to take a break from
      card games and play Basari, which I wanted to play, and hadn't played
      in a long time, and had only played once before anyway. Somehow, I
      managed to avoid the groupthink more often then Brian and Dave, and
      launched out to an early lead which they never recouped. Dave
      announced promptly after my early lead that the game was broken, but
      changed his mind later. I like this game a lot, and hope to play it
      again in the future. (BTW, Brian and Dave did you realize that
      "Shit", the game we also discussed last night was also done by Staupe,
      the author of Basari?)

      Then, we played Manitou, which Dave said was a trick taking game. It
      wasn't. It was still fun. It's a bidding (sort of) game with a
      native American theme and a rock/paper/scissors component. In the
      end, Dave and I tied, though Dave said he thought by the tiebreaker I
      won (none of us are fluent in German enough to be certain).

      Finally, we wandered around YMG and looked at their games, which they
      have a pretty good selection of. Dave noted that the Pez CCG (which
      he had been involved in design and/or playtesting of) was in the
      clearance bin, so I bought one starter and Dave bought the rest of
      them. We proceeded to play a round of that, in which Brian won,
      giving everyone a win for the evening. Cute game, but very light.

      Dave and Brian expressed interest in trying to do SNOB@YMG every
      Monday, rather than just the Mondays when there is no Sunday event,
      since Sunday is not as good for either of them. Monday is better for
      me than Sunday evening in general as well. So, pending discussion on
      the list, SNOB@YMG may happen more frequently.

      ...Matthew
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
        > The first session of Slightly North Of Boston gaming at Your Move
        > Games occured last night. In attendance were Dave Rapp, Brian Tivol,
        > Matthew and Carrie Gray.

        Excellent report Matthew. Thanks for writing it up. We're going to miss
        both you and Brian (and Carrie!) at UG1, but I know Dave Rapp will be there
        so there will be some representation from all the groups we've now discussed
        here on the list.

        Just 5 days now - anyone else getting excited about the event?!? I had to
        print up another small batch of tickets as turnout may exceed the estimated
        batch I printed last month.

        dber@...
      • David Rapp
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
          SNOB thoughts:

          Your Move Games was decent for gaming. We had bunch of tables to
          ourselves, although we really only needed one for the four of us.

          Castle:
          > We started off with a game of Castle, which I had recently obtained.
          > Dave asserted that whoever gets the Merchant will win, and he
          > proceeded to get the Merchant, and win. I think this game is somewhat

          I've played this 6 times, and that's 5 wins for the player with the
          Merchant. Most times it would seem most intuitive and obvious to hold the
          Merchant, playing him at your last turn to dump two other
          denizens. I tried it earlier, and it still helped out. The biggest limit
          to this game is having 2 actions. Everyone has that limit. At most you
          can place two cards. Clearly the Merchant is more powerful, saving you at
          least half a turn to dump your cards.

          Sticheln:

          I really like this game. Lost badly (the only player to really be
          'pricked' given the 'friendlier' nature of the game...we'll see how
          friendly it stays next time(g)). I really feel that it plays better with
          5 than 4...the added cards (with 4 you use 0-11 in five
          suits, with 5 you use 0-14 in those suits) and uneven nature of cardplay
          make it more enjoyable with an added player.

          Basari:

          I liked this, even given the first three or four turns of Groupthink
          between Brian and myself. I was afraid Matthew might just run away with
          it, but as the game progressed and Brian and I started using
          different strategies (Brian went with the hoard one color strategy and win
          your auctions during the third round, I went with the constantly score
          through dice or point tiles, ignoring gem collection in the hopes of
          winning maybe one color given only 3 players). I'd like to try it again,
          and maybe with four. I think I initially balked the first time I tried
          San Fransisco based on a similar three tile bidding mechanic, simply
          because two players would always be tied. If one player has this happen
          to them for three turns or more, it really hurts their later chances for
          making a run at the win. But unlike San Fransisco, where that can happen
          early and you can fall back fairly far, Basari doesn't 'feel' like you
          can't catch up. Other than that, the games are pretty different. :)

          Manitou:

          Yup, I'll defer to Matthew and admit this is a bidding game, that actually
          takes the rock/paper/scissors mechanic and makes it playable. I think I
          initially described it as a trick taking game given that there are
          essentially two auctions or tricks being played simultaneously: 1 for the
          warriors and 1 for the number cards. Essentially, higher number cards win
          points and warriors who last take the leftover number cards for points
          too. Interesting, and plays well with three.

          Your Move Games has a pretty nice selection of English-released German
          games at this point, and the Pez starters were a bonus at $3 a pop. One
          or two may show up at Unity Games this weekend...and a few buddies have
          wanted to try it so I'll throw a copy their way. We noticed the new boxed
          Cheapass Games, and they led to our discussion of Adlung Spiele...in
          particular, how their games cost about the same (and perhaps less) than
          Cheapass, but the component quality is much nicer. Ah, German production
          costs and values!

        • Alison Hansel
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2000
            --- In Unity_Games@egroups.com, Matthew Gray <matthew@g...> wrote:

            > We started off with a game of Castle, which I had recently obtained.
            > Dave asserted that whoever gets the Merchant will win, and he
            > proceeded to get the Merchant, and win.

            Can you remind me what the Merchant does?? I've only played this a
            couple of times and don't remember the card.

            > Then we played a game Dave had brought "Sticheln"..

            I have this game. No one would ever play it with me in our small
            gaming group in Germany, although it gets rave reviews with the
            Germans in general. Glad to hear that you liked it!

            > Then, we played Manitou ...
            > Dave and I tied, though Dave said he thought by the tiebreaker I
            > won (none of us are fluent in German enough to be certain).

            My German rules don't mention any tiebreaker at all. They just say,
            the person with the most points wins. WEAK!

            > So, pending discussion on
            > the list, SNOB@YMG may happen more frequently.

            Glad to hear that SNOB was successful! Thanks for the report.

            --Alison
          • Matthew Gray
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2000
              > > We started off with a game of Castle, which I had recently obtained.
              > > Dave asserted that whoever gets the Merchant will win, and he
              > > proceeded to get the Merchant, and win.
              >
              > Can you remind me what the Merchant does?? I've only played this a
              > couple of times and don't remember the card.

              The Merchant let's you "buy" a third action.

              > > Then we played a game Dave had brought "Sticheln"..
              >
              > I have this game. No one would ever play it with me in our small
              > gaming group in Germany, although it gets rave reviews with the
              > Germans in general. Glad to hear that you liked it!

              It felt a lot like Schnaeppchen Jagd (which I think I like somewhat
              better) but still much fun.

              > > Then, we played Manitou ...
              > > Dave and I tied, though Dave said he thought by the tiebreaker I
              > > won (none of us are fluent in German enough to be certain).
              >
              > My German rules don't mention any tiebreaker at all. They just say,
              > the person with the most points wins. WEAK!

              We used number of captured Braves as a tie breaker.

              ...Matthew
            • Walter Hunt [ext ]
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2000
                A pre-Unity Games I warmup at Holliston tomorrow night, at 7 PM. If you're planning on attending UG I also and don't want to bring stuff that day, you can bring it tomorrow night and stash it in the locker.

                I'll be bringing the usual tub o'games, and am open to suggestions if anyone wants to play anything in particular. Mark, if you're coming, I'll have Venture in the game tub.

                Hope to see you there.

                Walter H. Hunt
                Senior Technical Writer
                VistaSource, Inc.
                114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
                (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

                millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.