Re: [Unity_Games] Review: Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
      --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
      > I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's
      > hoping I make
      > Massey spit up his coffee.
      >
      > -------------------

      Well I didn't quite spit up my coffee, but but almost
      choked on my bagel if that counts.

      Thanks for giving me an idea for a christmas present
      for my nieces. At 3 and 6 they are at just the right
      age to appreciate the subtlety in Knizia's style.

      When is he redoing Chutes and Ladders and when is
      funagain going to sell both? ;-)

      Thanks for the early morning chuckle walter, but you
      have to get up pretty early in the morning to make me
      snort my coffee.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Aaron D. Fuegi
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
        > From: "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...>
        >Subject: Review: Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND

        For what its worth, I think the reviewer is confused about the
        designer. Drafting cards and scoring cards are much more an Alan Moon
        mechanism than Knizia. This really would work much better with Alan's name
        attached.

        Aaron

        >Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND
        >Reviewed by Not Mike Siggins
        >
        >Peripatetic game designer Reiner Knizia has turned his hand to children's g=
        >ame design with the new release of CANDYLAND. This children's game is broug=
        >ht up to date with a few new twists that show the hand of the master, bring=
        >ing German style to an American classic.
        >
        >In the original game, the objective -- moving one's Candyland Kid from the =
        >start space to the castle where King Kandy waited -- was controlled by a ra=
        >ndom draw from a common pile of cards, permitting the player's piece to mov=
        >e to the next space of the color drawn (or, occasionally, the second space =
        >of that color), or to a "character" space -- Plumpy, Mr. Mint, Jolly, Gramm=
        >a Nutt, Princess Lolly, or the highly desirable Queen Frostine. What the ga=
        >me lacked in strategy it made up for with a lack of fairness: a player only=
        > a square away from victory could draw the hated Plumpy card and be sent al=
        >l the way back to the beginning, thus delighting fellow little friends (and=
        >, incidentally, prolonging the game _ad nauseum_.)=20
        >
        >Knizia's style is firmly imprinted on this redesign. Instead of random draw=
        > from a common pile each turn, there are a set of cards on display -- one f=
        >or each player -- and a hand of three cards held concealed. Each turn, a pl=
        >ayer selects one of the cards shown, or the top card of the deck, and then =
        >plays one of the four cards then in his hand. If one of the special charact=
        >er cards is displayed, a special scoring occurs; each player shows the card=
        >s in his hand, and all players are then positioned on special character spa=
        >ces, with the drawing player being placed on the character then drawn. The =
        >others are placed by the player with the most squares of the same color; th=
        >is leads to a bit of strategizing, since the special "double square" cards =
        >are thus extremely valuable to be held in the hand -- although, of course, =
        >they are very useful for moving one's piece along the track.
        >
        >With the redesign, players as young as 3 can enjoy the thrill of a German-s=
        >tyle game experience, while retaining the charm of the Candyland theme. The=
        >y can still thrill to being placed on the Princess Lolly space, or bemoan t=
        >heir fate if stuck in Gooey Gumdrops or by the obstreporous Gloppy, just a =
        >few spaces from the end. Though provided as an optional rule, most players =
        >-- even young ones -- will choose to use the "bumping" rule, moving a fello=
        >w player back to the last special character space when your own piece lands=
        > on it. Certainly it will bring out the competitive aspects of game playing=
        >, getting the little ones ready for something a little more fierce.=20
        >
        >Recommended.
      • Walter Hunt [ext ]
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
          You don't understand. Knizia's name was invoked to bring Andrew out of his coma :-)

          Walter H. Hunt
          Senior Technical Writer
          VistaSource, Inc.
          114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
          (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

          millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.