Re: [Unity_Games] SNOB@YMG tonight; anyone going?

  • David Rapp
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
      I'll be there too, gonna bring some good 3-player card games in case
      turnout is low.

      David
    • Unity_Games@egroups.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000

        SNOB@YMG

        Date: Monday, October 2, 2000
        Time: 7:00PM - 11:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

        Slightly-North-Of-Boston gaming at Your Move Games.

        http://www.yourmovegames.com/directions/ymg_somerville.html
      • Walter Hunt [ext ]
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
          I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's hoping I make
          Massey spit up his coffee.

          -------------------

          Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND
          Reviewed by Not Mike Siggins

          Peripatetic game designer Reiner Knizia has turned his hand to children's game design with the new release of CANDYLAND. This children's game is brought up to date with a few new twists that show the hand of the master, bringing German style to an American classic.

          In the original game, the objective -- moving one's Candyland Kid from the start space to the castle where King Kandy waited -- was controlled by a random draw from a common pile of cards, permitting the player's piece to move to the next space of the color drawn (or, occasionally, the second space of that color), or to a "character" space -- Plumpy, Mr. Mint, Jolly, Gramma Nutt, Princess Lolly, or the highly desirable Queen Frostine. What the game lacked in strategy it made up for with a lack of fairness: a player only a square away from victory could draw the hated Plumpy card and be sent all the way back to the beginning, thus delighting fellow little friends (and, incidentally, prolonging the game _ad nauseum_.)

          Knizia's style is firmly imprinted on this redesign. Instead of random draw from a common pile each turn, there are a set of cards on display -- one for each player -- and a hand of three cards held concealed. Each turn, a player selects one of the cards shown, or the top card of the deck, and then plays one of the four cards then in his hand. If one of the special character cards is displayed, a special scoring occurs; each player shows the cards in his hand, and all players are then positioned on special character spaces, with the drawing player being placed on the character then drawn. The others are placed by the player with the most squares of the same color; this leads to a bit of strategizing, since the special "double square" cards are thus extremely valuable to be held in the hand -- although, of course, they are very useful for moving one's piece along the track.

          With the redesign, players as young as 3 can enjoy the thrill of a German-style game experience, while retaining the charm of the Candyland theme. They can still thrill to being placed on the Princess Lolly space, or bemoan their fate if stuck in Gooey Gumdrops or by the obstreporous Gloppy, just a few spaces from the end. Though provided as an optional rule, most players -- even young ones -- will choose to use the "bumping" rule, moving a fellow player back to the last special character space when your own piece lands on it. Certainly it will bring out the competitive aspects of game playing, getting the little ones ready for something a little more fierce.

          Recommended.

          ----------------

          ----------------------
          Walter H. Hunt
          Senior Technical Writer
          VistaSource, Inc.
          114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
          (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

          millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
        • Craig Massey
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
            --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
            > I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's
            > hoping I make
            > Massey spit up his coffee.
            >
            > -------------------

            Well I didn't quite spit up my coffee, but but almost
            choked on my bagel if that counts.

            Thanks for giving me an idea for a christmas present
            for my nieces. At 3 and 6 they are at just the right
            age to appreciate the subtlety in Knizia's style.

            When is he redoing Chutes and Ladders and when is
            funagain going to sell both? ;-)

            Thanks for the early morning chuckle walter, but you
            have to get up pretty early in the morning to make me
            snort my coffee.

            Craig

            =====
            Craig W. Massey
            cwmassey@...

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • Craig Massey
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
              --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
              > I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's
              > hoping I make
              > Massey spit up his coffee.
              >
              > -------------------

              Well I didn't quite spit up my coffee, but but almost
              choked on my bagel if that counts.

              Thanks for giving me an idea for a christmas present
              for my nieces. At 3 and 6 they are at just the right
              age to appreciate the subtlety in Knizia's style.

              When is he redoing Chutes and Ladders and when is
              funagain going to sell both? ;-)

              Thanks for the early morning chuckle walter, but you
              have to get up pretty early in the morning to make me
              snort my coffee.

              Craig

              =====
              Craig W. Massey
              cwmassey@...

              http://photos.yahoo.com/
            • Aaron D. Fuegi
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                > From: "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...>
                >Subject: Review: Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND

                For what its worth, I think the reviewer is confused about the
                designer. Drafting cards and scoring cards are much more an Alan Moon
                mechanism than Knizia. This really would work much better with Alan's name
                attached.

                Aaron

                >Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND
                >Reviewed by Not Mike Siggins
                >
                >Peripatetic game designer Reiner Knizia has turned his hand to children's g=
                >ame design with the new release of CANDYLAND. This children's game is broug=
                >ht up to date with a few new twists that show the hand of the master, bring=
                >ing German style to an American classic.
                >
                >In the original game, the objective -- moving one's Candyland Kid from the =
                >start space to the castle where King Kandy waited -- was controlled by a ra=
                >ndom draw from a common pile of cards, permitting the player's piece to mov=
                >e to the next space of the color drawn (or, occasionally, the second space =
                >of that color), or to a "character" space -- Plumpy, Mr. Mint, Jolly, Gramm=
                >a Nutt, Princess Lolly, or the highly desirable Queen Frostine. What the ga=
                >me lacked in strategy it made up for with a lack of fairness: a player only=
                > a square away from victory could draw the hated Plumpy card and be sent al=
                >l the way back to the beginning, thus delighting fellow little friends (and=
                >, incidentally, prolonging the game _ad nauseum_.)=20
                >
                >Knizia's style is firmly imprinted on this redesign. Instead of random draw=
                > from a common pile each turn, there are a set of cards on display -- one f=
                >or each player -- and a hand of three cards held concealed. Each turn, a pl=
                >ayer selects one of the cards shown, or the top card of the deck, and then =
                >plays one of the four cards then in his hand. If one of the special charact=
                >er cards is displayed, a special scoring occurs; each player shows the card=
                >s in his hand, and all players are then positioned on special character spa=
                >ces, with the drawing player being placed on the character then drawn. The =
                >others are placed by the player with the most squares of the same color; th=
                >is leads to a bit of strategizing, since the special "double square" cards =
                >are thus extremely valuable to be held in the hand -- although, of course, =
                >they are very useful for moving one's piece along the track.
                >
                >With the redesign, players as young as 3 can enjoy the thrill of a German-s=
                >tyle game experience, while retaining the charm of the Candyland theme. The=
                >y can still thrill to being placed on the Princess Lolly space, or bemoan t=
                >heir fate if stuck in Gooey Gumdrops or by the obstreporous Gloppy, just a =
                >few spaces from the end. Though provided as an optional rule, most players =
                >-- even young ones -- will choose to use the "bumping" rule, moving a fello=
                >w player back to the last special character space when your own piece lands=
                > on it. Certainly it will bring out the competitive aspects of game playing=
                >, getting the little ones ready for something a little more fierce.=20
                >
                >Recommended.
              • Walter Hunt [ext ]