2002 Review - does anybody read this stuff?

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      I only started recording games played stats in 2001, so this is the first
      time I can actually compare one year to the previous:

      Total games played: 488 -- huge increase over 2001's 286
      Different games played: 202 -- 105 in 2001
      Games played that were new to me: 121 (marked with * in lists below)

      So, definitely a good year for variety and quantity. As far as quality... I
      dunno. The biggest thing this years stats tell me is that I am a lousy game
      pusher. While all the games at the top of my list are enjoyable, I would
      classify very few of them as _my_ favorite games. More on this after each
      list:

      Games that I played ten or more times:

      Catch Phrase (35 plays)
      Crokinole (28)
      Hick Hack in Gacklewack* (27)
      Call My Bluff (14)
      Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation* (13)
      6 Nimmt!* (12)
      Abstracts* (12)
      Werewolf (10)

      The high showing for Catch Phrase is mainly because it's easy to find people
      who want to play it. Only a few of those 35 plays were at a UG session -
      most involved family or non-gaming friends. It's also a quick game, which
      often gets played several times in a row. Many of the other top games are
      also family-friendly fare, which contributes a lot to the high numbers. I'm
      not sure any of these would make my top 10 favorite games though, except
      possibly LotR:tC. Catch Phrase and Abstracts would easily make my top 10
      party games, though, and Hick Hack, Bluff and 6 Nimmt! are way up there on
      the list of "best games to introduce non-gamers to gaming." (Hick Hack might
      even make my top 10 favorite games, if I was in a frivolous mood when making
      the list.) Crokinole really is in a class by itself. It's almost a sport,
      really. Werewolf is there because there are so many folks at B20 that love
      it. I'll play when asked, but would probably never suggest it myself.

      Games that I played five or more times:

      TransAmerica* (9)
      Can't Stop (8)
      Mausse Rallye* (8)
      Traumfabrik (8)
      Apples to Apples (7)
      Princes of Florence (7)
      Loopin' Louie (6)
      Ra (5)
      Squint* (5)
      Star Wars Epic Duels* (5)
      Where's Bob's Hat?* (5)

      (Also could be included on this list - Euphrat & Tigris if I counted the 4
      or 5 pbem games - only one face-to-face game this year, though, and
      Showmanager, if I lumped its 3 plays with the 2 Atlantic Star plays.)

      Again, a bunch of games that are good, but the only ones here that I really
      think are great are Tfab and Princes (and E&T). Ra and Bob's Hat (and
      Showmanager) come close to greatness, and Apples to Apples is one of the
      best games there is for creating moments of hilarity, but the rest of the
      list is mainly just OK.

      Biggest dropoffs from 2001:

      Wiz-War: -10 from 11 to 1
      Carcassonne: -9 from 11 to 2
      Buried Treasure: -7 from 7 to 0
      Dragon Delta: -7 from 7 to 0
      Barbarossa: -7 from 8 to 1
      Password: -6 from 9 to 3
      Bohnanza: -5 from 7 to 2
      Scotland Yard: -5 from 5 to 0

      The poor showing of Bohnanza is rather telling, I think. This is one of my
      favorite games of all time, and I bring it to B20 almost every week, but I
      only played it twice! What's up with that? I will definitely be pushing it
      this week, assuming B20 is a go. I also really enjoy Barbarossa, and am
      rather disappointed that I only played it once. The drop-off in Carcassonne
      is not too surprising, since I played it a ton in the last few months of
      2001, and made an effort to try more new stuff in 2002. Password's decline
      is probably directly a result of the rise of Catch Phrase and Abstracts,
      similar styles of game which I find more fun and challenging. Wiz-War is
      really at its best when there is lots of beer involved, and there just
      wasn't as much opportunity for that in 2002. It would also be easier to push
      if the components weren't quite so cheesy. There are rumors of a "deluxe"
      set being produced, and that could result in a resurgence of it's
      popularity.

      Anyway, my resolution for 2003 is to play more of the games that I really
      like, and maybe not be so concerned about variety and quantity. Of course,
      I'm still almost always willing to try something I've never played before,
      because who knows - it could become a favorite!

      =============
      David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
      dfontes@...
    • Craig Massey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        Dave, I do think people read this stuff. I'm not sure
        why, but I think it is interesting to see what people
        played, what they didn't play and their comments on it
        all at the end of the year.

        --- David Fontes <dfontes@...> wrote:
        > So, definitely a good year for variety and quantity.
        > As far as quality... I
        > dunno. The biggest thing this years stats tell me is
        > that I am a lousy game
        > pusher. While all the games at the top of my list
        > are enjoyable, I would
        > classify very few of them as _my_ favorite games.
        > More on this after each
        > list:

        (snipping)

        Good stuff Dave

        > Biggest dropoffs from 2001:

        This is one thing that I like about everyone's year
        end musings. Everyone gives you something a little
        bit different giving me pause to look at my list for
        something new. In this case - the dropoffs.

        My biggest dropoffs for 2002
        Catch Phrase down 32 plays from 44 to 12
        Liar's Dice down 28 plays from 38 to 10
        Crokinole down 29 plays from 38 to 9
        Wyatt Earp down 15 plays from 19 to 4
        Loopin' Louie down 14 plays from 14 to 0
        Mystery Rummy #1 down 10 plays from 12 to 2
        Myster Rummy #2 down 11 plays from 13 to 2
        Password down 10 plays from 19 to 9

        Craig

        =====
        Craig W. Massey