Re: [Unity_Games] Game metrics

  • Craig Massey
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
      --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
      > So, for those who have the inclination, I'd be
      > curious to see what
      > others top games by the month metric are, as well as
      > any comments on
      > the metric itself.

      Game - month metric/x player
      Spades - 10/31
      Princes of Florence - 7/8
      Puerto Rico - 7/52
      Carcasonne - 6/19
      Haste Worte - 6/11
      Web of Power - 6/8
      Liar's Dice - 5/10
      Password - 5/9
      Ra - 5/7
      Transamerica - 5/10
      Catch Phrase - 4/12
      Funkenschlag - 4/6
      Kardinal & Konig: Das Kartenspiel - 4/5
      Wyatt Earp - 4/4

      Not sure what this says about my rankings of games or
      how it best correlates. There are some in my top 10
      favorites for the year and several that wouldn't be in
      my top 20 favorites of the year too - TransAmerica and
      Carcassonne for instance.

      Craig

      =====
      Craig W. Massey
      cwmassey@...

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- Craig Massey <cwmassey@...> wrote:
        >. There are some in my top 10
        > favorites for the year and several that wouldn't be
        > in
        > my top 20 favorites of the year too - TransAmerica
        > and
        > Carcassonne for instance.

        TransAmerica continues to be an enigma. It might not
        be on anyone's favorites list, but it will appear on
        many people's frequency lists - by any metric.
        Someone says, "Well, I brought TransAmerica...." Then
        someone says, "Sure. Why not..." Next thing you
        know, you're plotting a strategy based on the cards in
        your hand, knowing full well that the cards in your
        hand are about all the strategy there is.

        Personally, I thing TransAmerica is actually a
        sentient being disguised as a board game. It doesn't
        want anyone to know its true nature, but it enjoys
        being fondled. Kind of like Matt Horn.

        (Sorry Matt. You deserved that for your sneaky KK&K
        win yesterday.)

        Eric Shultz

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
          I don't think Dave Fontes fondled me 8 times last year. That number is very low.

          >> TransAmerica ... doesn't want anyone to know its true nature, but it enjoys
          >> being fondled. Kind of like Matt Horn.

        • David Fontes
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
            > So, for those who have the inclination, I'd be
            > curious to see what
            > others top games by the month metric are, as well as
            > any comments on
            > the metric itself.

            Top games for me this year (I did not record monthly statistics last year)
            by this metric would be:

            Hick Hack in Gacklewack (10)
            Call My Bluff (9)
            Crokinole (8) - interestingly, I did not play this at all during the summer
            months - I guess it is a cold weather game!
            Catch Phrase (7)
            6 Nimmt! (7)
            Werewolf (7)
            Princes of Florence (6)
            Transamerica (6)
            Can't Stop (5)
            Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation (5)
            Traumfabrik (5)

            The most noticeable differences from my listing by number of games played is
            that the games I played alot with my family, Abstracts, Apples to Apples,
            and Mausse-Rallye, dropped off this list since many plays were clustered in
            November and December over the holidays. Also, LotR:tC is unfairly pushed to
            the bottom of the list, since I have only owned it for five months, but
            played it at least once in each of those months.
            -David
            =============
            David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
            dfontes@...
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
              At 09:24 AM 1/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
              >(Sorry Matt. You deserved that for your sneaky KK&K
              >win yesterday.)

              Heheheh. I especially liked his "I haven't been involved in a deal
              since...." act. Him and Campbell, what a pair of weasels. If only I
              rolled a '1'.

              Mark

              "He was just 91 on the day he passed on, it was the way that he hoped it
              would be,
              He was shot by a beauty queen's husband in a fit of jealousy.
              As he lay on the floor a priest was sent forward, and with his last breath
              Johnny confessed,
              _I spent all of my money on woman and drink and like a fool I squandered
              the rest._"
              -- from "Go 'Round Again" by Benny Hill
            • Eric Shultz
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                If only whoever it was didn't roll the 2. Then I
                would have killed on the next deal. I love that game.

                Eric

                --- Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@...> wrote:
                > At 09:24 AM 1/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                > >(Sorry Matt. You deserved that for your sneaky
                > KK&K
                > >win yesterday.)
                >
                > Heheheh. I especially liked his "I haven't been
                > involved in a deal
                > since...." act. Him and Campbell, what a pair of
                > weasels. If only I
                > rolled a '1'.
                >
                > Mark
                >

                > If you like board games and live in Eastern MA or
                > the surrounding areas
                > check out Unity Games -- www.unitygames.org
                >
                > "He was just 91 on the day he passed on, it was the
                > way that he hoped it
                > would be,
                > He was shot by a beauty queen's husband in a fit of
                > jealousy.
                > As he lay on the floor a priest was sent forward,
                > and with his last breath
                > Johnny confessed,
                > _I spent all of my money on woman and drink and like
                > a fool I squandered
                > the rest._"
                > -- from "Go 'Round Again" by Benny Hill

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Walter H. Hunt
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                  Matthew Horn wrote:

                  >I don't think Dave Fontes fondled me 8 times last year. That number is very low.
                  >
                  > >> TransAmerica ... doesn't want anyone to know its true nature, but it enjoys
                  > >> being fondled. Kind of like Matt Horn.

                  I certainly fondled Matt more often than that :-)

                  Walter.
                • Campbell MacInnes <haleon@sennicam.com>
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                    I rolled the 2, actually.

                    I might note, MARK, that you came in second after Matt, I was in 3rd.

                    A close game nonetheless, with 1 buck separating each of us.

                    --Campbell, less weasel than he is reputed to be.

                    --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, Eric Shultz <swift_4@y...> wrote:
                    > If only whoever it was didn't roll the 2. Then I
                    > would have killed on the next deal. I love that game.
                    >
                    > Eric
                    >
                    > --- Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@a...> wrote:
                    > > At 09:24 AM 1/2/2003 -0800, you wrote:
                    > > >(Sorry Matt. You deserved that for your sneaky
                    > > KK&K
                    > > >win yesterday.)
                    > >
                    > > Heheheh. I especially liked his "I haven't been
                    > > involved in a deal
                    > > since...." act. Him and Campbell, what a pair of
                    > > weasels. If only I
                    > > rolled a '1'.
                    > >
                    > > Mark

                  • Eric Shultz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                      --- "Campbell MacInnes <haleon@...>" > -->
                      >Campbell, less weasel than he is reputed to be.

                      Not MUCH less. You still outweaseled me.

                      Eric

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com