Reminder - SNOB@YMG

  • Unity_Games@egroups.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2000

      SNOB@YMG

      Date: Monday, October 2, 2000
      Time: 7:00PM - 11:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

      Slightly-North-Of-Boston gaming at Your Move Games.

      http://www.yourmovegames.com/directions/ymg_somerville.html
    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
        > So will anyone go tonight? It would be very nice if this could become
        > a regular event. I'm personally not yet sure whether I'll be able to
        > be there tonight, although I should be able to do most Mondays.

        I'll be there. Is anyone else planning on coming, other than possibly
        Jonathan? Tivol? Dave?

        BTW, I was at YMG on Friday, and while on occasion it might be
        possible to squeeze in on a side table if folks needed a place to get
        toghether on a Friday, it was pretty swamped with CCG players. There
        clerk there said there shouldn't be a problem with today (or Monday's
        in general)

        ...Matthew
      • Jonathan Yedidia
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
          So will anyone go tonight? It would be very nice if this could become
          a regular event. I'm personally not yet sure whether I'll be able to
          be there tonight, although I should be able to do most Mondays.

          (BTW, I definitely will not be at B&N tonight)

          Jonathan
        • David Rapp
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000
            I'll be there too, gonna bring some good 3-player card games in case
            turnout is low.

            David
          • Unity_Games@egroups.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2000

              SNOB@YMG

              Date: Monday, October 2, 2000
              Time: 7:00PM - 11:00PM EDT (GMT-04:00)

              Slightly-North-Of-Boston gaming at Your Move Games.

              http://www.yourmovegames.com/directions/ymg_somerville.html
            • Walter Hunt [ext ]
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's hoping I make
                Massey spit up his coffee.

                -------------------

                Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND
                Reviewed by Not Mike Siggins

                Peripatetic game designer Reiner Knizia has turned his hand to children's game design with the new release of CANDYLAND. This children's game is brought up to date with a few new twists that show the hand of the master, bringing German style to an American classic.

                In the original game, the objective -- moving one's Candyland Kid from the start space to the castle where King Kandy waited -- was controlled by a random draw from a common pile of cards, permitting the player's piece to move to the next space of the color drawn (or, occasionally, the second space of that color), or to a "character" space -- Plumpy, Mr. Mint, Jolly, Gramma Nutt, Princess Lolly, or the highly desirable Queen Frostine. What the game lacked in strategy it made up for with a lack of fairness: a player only a square away from victory could draw the hated Plumpy card and be sent all the way back to the beginning, thus delighting fellow little friends (and, incidentally, prolonging the game _ad nauseum_.)

                Knizia's style is firmly imprinted on this redesign. Instead of random draw from a common pile each turn, there are a set of cards on display -- one for each player -- and a hand of three cards held concealed. Each turn, a player selects one of the cards shown, or the top card of the deck, and then plays one of the four cards then in his hand. If one of the special character cards is displayed, a special scoring occurs; each player shows the cards in his hand, and all players are then positioned on special character spaces, with the drawing player being placed on the character then drawn. The others are placed by the player with the most squares of the same color; this leads to a bit of strategizing, since the special "double square" cards are thus extremely valuable to be held in the hand -- although, of course, they are very useful for moving one's piece along the track.

                With the redesign, players as young as 3 can enjoy the thrill of a German-style game experience, while retaining the charm of the Candyland theme. They can still thrill to being placed on the Princess Lolly space, or bemoan their fate if stuck in Gooey Gumdrops or by the obstreporous Gloppy, just a few spaces from the end. Though provided as an optional rule, most players -- even young ones -- will choose to use the "bumping" rule, moving a fellow player back to the last special character space when your own piece lands on it. Certainly it will bring out the competitive aspects of game playing, getting the little ones ready for something a little more fierce.

                Recommended.

                ----------------

                ----------------------
                Walter H. Hunt
                Senior Technical Writer
                VistaSource, Inc.
                114 Turnpike Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 whunt@...
                (508) 870-0300 ext. 391

                millihelen (n.) -- That quantity of beauty required to launch one ship.
              • Craig Massey
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                  --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
                  > I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's
                  > hoping I make
                  > Massey spit up his coffee.
                  >
                  > -------------------

                  Well I didn't quite spit up my coffee, but but almost
                  choked on my bagel if that counts.

                  Thanks for giving me an idea for a christmas present
                  for my nieces. At 3 and 6 they are at just the right
                  age to appreciate the subtlety in Knizia's style.

                  When is he redoing Chutes and Ladders and when is
                  funagain going to sell both? ;-)

                  Thanks for the early morning chuckle walter, but you
                  have to get up pretty early in the morning to make me
                  snort my coffee.

                  Craig

                  =====
                  Craig W. Massey
                  cwmassey@...

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • Craig Massey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2000
                    --- "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...> wrote:
                    > I swear I have no idea where this came from. Here's
                    > hoping I make
                    > Massey spit up his coffee.
                    >
                    > -------------------

                    Well I didn't quite spit up my coffee, but but almost
                    choked on my bagel if that counts.

                    Thanks for giving me an idea for a christmas present
                    for my nieces. At 3 and 6 they are at just the right
                    age to appreciate the subtlety in Knizia's style.

                    When is he redoing Chutes and Ladders and when is
                    funagain going to sell both? ;-)

                    Thanks for the early morning chuckle walter, but you
                    have to get up pretty early in the morning to make me
                    snort my coffee.

                    Craig

                    =====
                    Craig W. Massey
                    cwmassey@...

                    http://photos.yahoo.com/
                  • Aaron D. Fuegi
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2000
                      > From: "Walter Hunt [ext ]" <whunt@...>
                      >Subject: Review: Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND

                      For what its worth, I think the reviewer is confused about the
                      designer. Drafting cards and scoring cards are much more an Alan Moon
                      mechanism than Knizia. This really would work much better with Alan's name
                      attached.

                      Aaron

                      >Reiner Knizia's CANDYLAND
                      >Reviewed by Not Mike Siggins
                      >
                      >Peripatetic game designer Reiner Knizia has turned his hand to children's g=
                      >ame design with the new release of CANDYLAND. This children's game is broug=
                      >ht up to date with a few new twists that show the hand of the master, bring=
                      >ing German style to an American classic.
                      >
                      >In the original game, the objective -- moving one's Candyland Kid from the =
                      >start space to the castle where King Kandy waited -- was controlled by a ra=
                      >ndom draw from a common pile of cards, permitting the player's piece to mov=
                      >e to the next space of the color drawn (or, occasionally, the second space =
                      >of that color), or to a "character" space -- Plumpy, Mr. Mint, Jolly, Gramm=
                      >a Nutt, Princess Lolly, or the highly desirable Queen Frostine. What the ga=
                      >me lacked in strategy it made up for with a lack of fairness: a player only=
                      > a square away from victory could draw the hated Plumpy card and be sent al=
                      >l the way back to the beginning, thus delighting fellow little friends (and=
                      >, incidentally, prolonging the game _ad nauseum_.)=20
                      >
                      >Knizia's style is firmly imprinted on this redesign. Instead of random draw=
                      > from a common pile each turn, there are a set of cards on display -- one f=
                      >or each player -- and a hand of three cards held concealed. Each turn, a pl=
                      >ayer selects one of the cards shown, or the top card of the deck, and then =
                      >plays one of the four cards then in his hand. If one of the special charact=
                      >er cards is displayed, a special scoring occurs; each player shows the card=
                      >s in his hand, and all players are then positioned on special character spa=
                      >ces, with the drawing player being placed on the character then drawn. The =
                      >others are placed by the player with the most squares of the same color; th=
                      >is leads to a bit of strategizing, since the special "double square" cards =
                      >are thus extremely valuable to be held in the hand -- although, of course, =
                      >they are very useful for moving one's piece along the track.
                      >
                      >With the redesign, players as young as 3 can enjoy the thrill of a German-s=
                      >tyle game experience, while retaining the charm of the Candyland theme. The=
                      >y can still thrill to being placed on the Princess Lolly space, or bemoan t=
                      >heir fate if stuck in Gooey Gumdrops or by the obstreporous Gloppy, just a =
                      >few spaces from the end. Though provided as an optional rule, most players =
                      >-- even young ones -- will choose to use the "bumping" rule, moving a fello=
                      >w player back to the last special character space when your own piece lands=
                      > on it. Certainly it will bring out the competitive aspects of game playing=
                      >, getting the little ones ready for something a little more fierce.=20
                      >
                      >Recommended.
                    • Walter Hunt [ext ]