Re: [Unity_Games] session report

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2000
      > As we got into the middle game, Matthew became convinced that Alison
      > was winning. Both Alison and I thought he was mistaken. Knizia's
      > screens can do that to a gamer, especially one trying to fit his moves
      > closely to the Samurai scoring system, as I think Matthew was.

      I believe at the time she was winning (I think she had 3 rice paddies
      and neither Andrew nor I had 3 of anything), but perhaps I was biased
      by the fact that in all the previous times I have played with Alison
      (RoboRally, Ohne Furcht und Adel, Battle Cry & Alladin's Dragon) she
      has won :-)

      and Andrew said:
      > Not for the first time, I found myself thinking that I should get
      > the expansion after all.

      I agree, that Keith was the only one who picked a good combo (Movement
      I & Streamlining). I survived by Life Expectancy alone. I definitely
      prefer the expansion, as it allows for more interesting combinations
      of genes, even though the base set already has a number of good combos.

      The game of Taj was lots of fun, and I am still somewhat shocked that
      Alison didn't win in the end. Taj has one of my favorite features of
      many RK games (particularly Taj, Ra, and DdW) of "many ways to score
      points". In this game alone, I went largely for the "yellow
      card"/cheap buys strategy, Alison the chain of Palaces, Andrew for the
      commodities, etc. Can anyone suggest other games I may not know of
      that have this quality of very disparate, but similarly effective
      strategies.

      ...Matthew