More on Mare Nostrum

  • David Fontes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2002
      For those of you not subscribed to r.g.b., the English rules to Mare Nostrum
      were posted recently. I've done a quick read through, and nothing in there
      has changed my mind that I really want this game! One interesting note, the
      game appears to have gone where Puerto Rico feared to tread: one of the
      dozen commodities available for trade in the game is Slaves. And if the
      number of cards of each type is any indicator of value, Slaves are the Ochre
      of this game, tied with Fish for most common commodity.
      I wonder if this will have any effect at all on the popularity of the
      game. I would think not, but I am pretty forgiving of political
      incorrectness. Besides, the time frame is so long ago that it isn't even
      really politically incorrect is it? I can see some particularly sensitive
      souls feeling odd about playing a game involving slavery in Puerto Rico,
      since there are probably plenty of people alive today who can trace their
      heritage back to being either slave traders or slaves in that time period.
      But Babylon? I dunno, I remember reading a few comments about the Slavery
      power in Vinci. I suppose you can always find someone who is offended by
      just about anything.
      Anyway, the current time frame for release is late January 2003 in Europe,
      and I guess it'll be about a month after that before it makes it to US
      shores. Definitely looking forward to it!
      -David
      David Fontes http://www.mmiusa.com/ookpik/
      dfontes@...