Hi! I'm new to the list

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hello,

      My wife and I just discovered Euro/German style games in the last
      month and have been having a great time playing the Kosmos 2-player
      games and GIPF. We've been playing Yahtzee and Othello style games
      for so long we didn't know they got any better than that. I had no
      idea that these types of games existed (threw Monopoly out the
      window). Furthermore, wasn't I surprised that there were LOTS of
      adults like us who enjoy a sociable boardgame with a good design on
      the web. I think I've turned into a Funagain.com's best customer this
      last month.

      A quick introduction: my wife and I live outside Worcester, MA in
      Millbury and hope there are folks in our area who enjoy these sociable
      great games.

      I look forward to posting and asking questions.

      -Matthew Kennedy
      Milllbury, MA
    • Matthew Horn
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
        Welcome mat! (ahahaha. ahem. sorry. couldn't help it.)

        Your first stop might be the calendar section of Unity Games on yahoogroups.com. It will show you eastern Mass open gaming sessions where you can meet some of these mugs f2f.

        Woosta... that's somewhere near Bridgewater, isn't it? Come on down some Friday nite. You'll meet about 20 of us, and might learn a few games... Oh, and bring your wife. And your wife's friends. :)

        I always find it better to play a game before buying it, to really know if I'm gonna like it, but as far as ease of ordering and POS experience, funagain.com is the best site. Hell, some of us have even gotten good customer service from them!

        -Matt Horn

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
          > My wife and I just discovered Euro/German style games in the last
          > month and have been having a great time playing the Kosmos 2-player
          > games and GIPF.

          Hi, Matthew! Great to have you "online." These games are truly a fun time.
          Especially when you get 4 or 5 players in one of these grand
          jockeying-for-position games like Settlers of Catan, La Citta, Princes of
          Florence, Entdecker, or Tigris & Euphrates. (Tastes vary considerably, of
          course, so those selections may not end up your favorites.) I'm near
          Cambridge, but I think there are game sessions out near Worcester. Is the
          Holliston session still happening?

          My wife Holly and I enjoy Wyatt Earp the most these days when it's just the
          two of us. Used to be Hera & Zeus. My kids and I play a lot of Citadels.

          Side topic: are you the "First Certified TestStand Architect" recently in
          the NI news, or is it just a name coincidence? I'm a long-time freelance
          Labview programmer myself.

          Joe Czapski
          Arlington, Mass.
          czapski@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
            "Matt" <gmattkennedy@...> wrote:
            >A quick introduction: my wife and I live outside Worcester,
            >MA in Millbury and hope there are folks in our area who
            >enjoy these sociable great games.

            Welcome Matt!

            Be sure to try and attend Unity Games V on January 25, 2003!
            That would give you a chance to meet lots of folks and get tons
            of gaming!

            daveber@... (New Mail! remove NOSPAM to use)
          • Richard Spoonts
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
              I am always slightly disturbed when Matt Horn is the
              first to welcome a newcomer because I don't want them
              to think that we are all freaks in the same way
              Matthew is. :-)

              Richard

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Mark Edwards
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                At 12:31 PM 12/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                >I am always slightly disturbed when Matt Horn is the
                >first to welcome a newcomer because I don't want them
                >to think that we are all freaks in the same way
                >Matthew is. :-)

                Matthew is kinda freaky isn't he. Always fooling around with numbers
                and making weird little databases and spreadsheets to store and manipulate
                them in.
                Matt is pretty weird too though, in a completely different way. Geeks
                and Freaks.

                Thank God there's people like me around to keep things normal.

                Mark

                "Lord, can I go 'round again? Please can I go 'round again?
                Oh, I can't believe that I'll never see your sky or your trees again.
                Oh, the girls and the wine and the living were fine, I shouldn't complain
                but then,
                You give damned short rides on this fairground of yours, Lord, oh please
                let me go 'round again."
                -- from "Go 'Round Again" by Benny Hill
              • asciola
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                  On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Richard Spoonts wrote:

                  > I am always slightly disturbed when Matt Horn is the
                  > first to welcome a newcomer because I don't want them
                  > to think that we are all freaks in the same way
                  > Matthew is. :-)

                  Yeah, Richard's a very different freak. ;)

                  *still traumatized by first meeting him*

                  Anthony
                • Mark Edwards
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                    Hi Matt,

                    Welcome! You'll find a lot of great Euro/German games out there that
                    will quench your thirst for good games.

                    As for Worcester gamers, I'm not so sure there are many of them on here.
                    If there are they are very quiet. There was another list for Central MA
                    gamers, although I believe it was mostly devoted to Warhammer miniatures
                    stuff.
                    Post on here once in awhile looking for gamers in Worcester, you never
                    know one might pop up. In the mean time take a trip to UG 5 in January! A
                    whole day of gaming in a very friendly atmosphere. And newbies are more than
                    welcome they're encouraged. Part of gaming is teaching new players the game
                    and there's always a new player for every game set on the table.

                    Poke around the UG web site and here on the yahoo:groups website and see
                    if you can find anything useful. Also there's pictures of previous UG events
                    so you can get an idea of what goes on there.

                    Mark

                    Matt wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > My wife and I just discovered Euro/German style games in the last
                    > month and have been having a great time playing the Kosmos 2-player
                    > games and GIPF. We've been playing Yahtzee and Othello style games
                    > for so long we didn't know they got any better than that. I had no
                    > idea that these types of games existed (threw Monopoly out the
                    > window). Furthermore, wasn't I surprised that there were LOTS of
                    > adults like us who enjoy a sociable boardgame with a good design on
                    > the web. I think I've turned into a Funagain.com's best customer this
                    > last month.
                    >
                    > A quick introduction: my wife and I live outside Worcester, MA in
                    > Millbury and hope there are folks in our area who enjoy these sociable
                    > great games.
                    >
                    > I look forward to posting and asking questions.
                    >
                    > -Matthew Kennedy
                    > Milllbury, MA

                    Mark Edwards
                    danger.mouse@...
                    Update URL!@

                    If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
                    check out Unity Games!
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2002
                      Joe,

                      Good to hear I'm not the only software engineer on the list. And yup,
                      that's me. Sounds like I'm way behind the game learning curve around
                      here though.

                      -Matthew Kennedy (CTA)

                      --- In Unity_Games@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Czapski" <czapski@a...>