Re: Unity Games gets some Fool press!

  • mfselena
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
      "Fool on!" !?

      Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley Fool -- great!

      It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games. Partly because I'm a newbie
      to games, I suspect my article wasn't all that it could have been...
      still, I wanted to do my part to try and spread the infection a
      little, and with any luck I will have turned on a few people to board
      games. I hope others in the media, ideally those with a greater reach
      than me, also cover this terrific topic, as it will be win-win for
      the industry and the new fans.

      Cheers!

      Selena
      (a lurker :))

      --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Mark J. Edwards" <danger.mouse@a...> wrote:

      > Someone posted a link on Spielfrieks to an article on the Motley
      Fool

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
        "mfselena" <selenam@...> wrote:

        >"Fool on!" !?
        >
        >Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley
        >Fool -- great!
        >
        >It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games.

        That's great! The article has drawn some attention both here and
        on Spielfrieks. Nice going!

        daveber@... (New Mail! remove NOSPAM to use)
      • Mark Edwards
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
          Hiya Selena!

          mfselena wrote:

          > "Fool on!" !?
          >
          > Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley Fool -- great!

          Yeah I've read it on and off over the last year or so. I started reading
          some of the forums when someone mentioned that David was an avid gamer.
          There's some good discussion on their board game forum. Too bad they went
          fee based. :-(

          > It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games. Partly because I'm a newbie
          > to games, I suspect my article wasn't all that it could have been...
          > still, I wanted to do my part to try and spread the infection a
          > little, and with any luck I will have turned on a few people to board
          > games. I hope others in the media, ideally those with a greater reach
          > than me, also cover this terrific topic, as it will be win-win for
          > the industry and the new fans.

          Your article was excellent and a great intro for those that are just
          starting out! Besides, no matter how you try you can't please everyone.

          Since you're a lurker on our list are you from the MA area? If so,
          (beware plug for UG V coming!) and you want to learn a lot of new games
          quickly and easily, Unity Games V is a good place to start. Just a whole day
          devoted to gaming and socializing. It's a good way to meet lots of folks
          from the list, learn new games, etc.

          Mark

          --
          Mark Edwards
          danger.mouse@...

          If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
          check out Unity Games!
        • mfselena
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
            Thanks for the welcoming words, Mark!

            I'm actually planning on moving to Providence in the next few months,
            from Virginia. So I'm definitely hoping to attend some events, in the
            hope of fitting in somewhere and making some new friends. (There's a
            small chance I'll even make it to UG-V, perhaps with my dad, as I may
            be up househunting then. Of course perhaps I should instead spend the
            day actually out looking at houses, not playing!)

            FWIW, I lived in Watertown, outside Boston, for about four years in
            the '80s, and went to college in Providence, so I'm looking forward
            to returning to the area.

            Selena

            --- In Unity_Games@y..., Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@a...> wrote:
            > Since you're a lurker on our list are you from the MA area? If
            so, (beware plug for UG V coming!) and you want to learn a lot of new
            games quickly and easily, Unity Games V is a good place to start.
            Just a whole day devoted to gaming and socializing. It's a good way
            to meet lots of folks from the list, learn new games, etc.

            > Mark
          • Mark Edwards
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
              At 04:31 PM 12/6/2002 +0000, Selena wrote:
              >Thanks for the welcoming words, Mark!
              >
              >I'm actually planning on moving to Providence in the next few months,
              >from Virginia. So I'm definitely hoping to attend some events, in the
              >hope of fitting in somewhere and making some new friends. (There's a
              >small chance I'll even make it to UG-V, perhaps with my dad, as I may
              >be up househunting then. Of course perhaps I should instead spend the
              >day actually out looking at houses, not playing!)
              >
              >FWIW, I lived in Watertown, outside Boston, for about four years in
              >the '80s, and went to college in Providence, so I'm looking forward
              >to returning to the area.

              That's great! And you'd be moving to Providence at just the right
              time. They're locking up Cianci at noon today. ;-)

              We can get you hooked up with some local gaming in no time. For
              example, there's gaming about 10 minutes north of Providence at my place in
              South Attleboro every Tuesday night. It's a good group that is more about
              fun that about competition.
              There's also open gaming every Saturday at the Arcade building in
              downtown Providence on Saturdays. Allen and I try to keep the flame lit
              for board gaming there and Larry, the owner of The Game Keeper, is fun to
              bs with. On weeknights there's Galaxy Games in Warwick on Post Road that
              has space for open gaming. I haven't been to a session at Galaxy Games but
              I've met the owner Steve and he seems real nice. I also believe that Bruce
              Whitehill, one of the guys who comes to my GSG sessions from time to time
              and is host of http://www.thebiggamehunter.com/, is trying to get a regular
              Friday night session going in Warren (east of Providence).

              Good luck with the house hunting!

              Mark

              "Lord, can I go 'round again? Please can I go 'round again?
              Oh, I can't believe that I'll never see your sky or your trees again.
              Oh, the girls and the wine and the living were fine, I shouldn't complain
              but then,
              You give damned short rides on this fairground of yours, Lord, oh please
              let me go 'round again."
              -- from "Go 'Round Again" by Benny Hill