B&N Sep 25, 2000

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2000
      Just back from some B&N gaming. The turnout was double last week
      - up to 6 gamers. Besides myself we had Mark Edwards, Alison,
      David, Andy and Pete present. I met Mark at the door and I
      thought it might just be the two of us - but soon David found his
      way to the table (we actually thought he might have come without
      Alison - but she was lost in the bookstore for a few minutes).

      We started with Buried Treasure - a Sid Sackson card game. Not
      bad, but not great either. At first it was just David, Mark, and
      myself. David went first, then Mark and just as I was about to
      play, Andy showed up and so we promptly sat him down in the 3rd
      player spot - he hadn't a clue how to play but we got him going
      quickly. And he basically crushed us - although Mark made it
      close at the end. Not much meat here, but I can see it might get
      some more play time in the future as a filler game.

      Next we went to Ricochet Robot - this should make Jenn very
      unhappy to have missed the session! Very close - we all took
      some victory chits with good robot planing. Andy shot out to a
      quick lead, but we were on his heels. I actually had the chance
      to tie for the lead but missed the bid by one movement -
      something I've done a few times before - I call out a number, see
      the moves then have a bit of trouble remembering the middle part
      of the move! But I still fared well - and it's not from any
      natural talent, it's just being pummeled by Jenn 20 times. In
      the end, David and Andy tied with 4 chits, and the rest of us had
      3 chits (even Mark 'I hate this game' Edwards)!

      The tables split. Pete, Mark, Andy and Alison played Rheingold -
      looked good but will defer comments to those that played tonight.

      David and I decided to try ISI - a game that Alison is probably
      going to get in the form of MORISI later in October/November.
      These were the two closest games of ISI I've played in some time.
      David caught on quickly and was a great opponent. The first game
      came down to the 3rd and final tie breaker - and David won just
      barely. We enjoyed it enough to play a 2nd game - and this time
      all three tie breaks were dead even and so we shared the power of
      ISI! Very close - incredible to have two games so closely
      matched. I continue to enjoy ISI - I've played it quite a bit
      and will probably get a copy of MORISI in the future...

      We finished about 9:30 - home in time to watch some Olympics and
      write this quick report. Nice to see everyone.

      As an aside, it was a year ago that Pete, Dan Miller, Jenn and I
      met for the first time at the B&N to play Tikal.

      dber@...