short SR

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2002
      I said I'd host on this pre-turkey evening if anyone turned up, and indeed
      someone did. The someone was Scott. At one point it looked as though there
      might be as many as 6. When the session started, I thought that we'd be 3.
      When Scott arrived, I taught him Euphrat & Tigris, thinking we'd play it
      later on. In the event, we never played it, taking the opportunity to play
      some just-for-2 games.
      We started off with Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. We played 2 games, the
      dark side winning each game in a similar manner: the Warg killed Frodo. In
      neither game did light manage to get one of the favorable matchups (Gimli v
      Orc, Leg v Flyer, Merry v Witch).
      In the first game, I took the light side. This was a close game, going right
      through the card decks, and ending with only Frodo and 2 dark units on the
      board.
      We switched sides for the second game. This did not go at all well for the
      good guys, Frodo being Warg'd when dark still had 6 units on the board.
      I then suggested Caesar and Cleopatra, which I as Cleopatra won 17-11. It was
      Scott's first play of C&C, and he enjoyed it.
      We closed the short session with a game of Dvonn. I usually don't think I
      know what I'm doing when playing Dvonn, but this time, I felt in control.
      Then we got to the endgame, and I realized that I had few moves left, none of
      which were good. Scott won by the large margin of 7. Next time I play Dvonn
      I'll try to feel less in control.
      It was a short session, but a good one. Scott learned a couple of new games
      (one of which he even played). I played my favorite 2-player game to come out
      this year (LotR:C), a game that I like a lot but don't play very often (C&C),
      and my favorite "abstract German game" (Dvonn).
      Happy thanksgiving to all UGers, wherever they may be,
      Andrew