SR: Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Shark, Federation Space, Acquire, Naval War, Bohnanza.

  • Vitas Povilaitis
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2002
      I have some catching up to do on my session reports!

      Click here for the html version:
      http://www.gracefulboot.com/board_games/20021118.html

      November 18, 2002

      SOG session. 3-player Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, 5-player Shark
      (older edition).

      Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

      Players were Rob, Lewis and myself.

      Rob engaging in his usual strategy of fretting over how he isn't getting
      the rules and is falling behind, while taking advantage of every
      opportunity afforded to him.

      * Rob: 126
      * Lewis: 106
      * Vitas: 71

      Shark (older edition)

      Players were Mark, Rob, Lewis, Chris and myself.

      I read that this game compares to Acquire, but I wouldn't say that. In a
      nutshell, it's about money and corporate take-overs, but makes more sense
      as such, because the share-holders of the corporation doing the take-over
      benefit and the share-holders being taken-over lose a little.
      Additionally, When a corporation grows, share-holders benefit.

      Game with instruction took about 55 minutes.

      * Lewis: $338,000
      * Rob: $270,000
      * Chris: $266,000
      * Mark: $238,000
      * Vitas: $185,000

      Sunday, November 24, 2002

      Private session. 2-player Federation Space, 2-player Acquire.

      Federation Space

      Players were Paul and myself.

      This is a starship war between the Federation and its allies versus the
      Klingons and its allies. It's been long out-of-print, but I found it on
      eBay for Paul because he had fond memories of it playing as a teen.

      25 minutes to review instructions. Five hours to play. Ignored stacking
      rule, but ended up with small number of stacks that obliterated opponents.
      Ended early when Romulans joined the war. Without the stacking rules to
      limit ships in a hex, each turn becomes very predictable and is a simple
      dice-fest. Considering how long it is to play, that's a very tedious
      dice-fest!

      Acquire

      Players were Paul and myself.

      Played with 100%-50%-25% payoff. I made a mistake early by investing
      heavily in corner corporation, which Paul denying expanding while I didn't
      get the tiles. Most of the game I had tiles that would either grow or
      take-over Paul's majority corporations, so I was playing a denial game as
      well. Eventually, Paul had to choose between buying two corporations when
      our cash was tied, and he chose the one that blocked me out from gaining
      the advantage.

      Game lasted hour and 25 minutes with dinner break.

      * Paul: $54,900
      * Vitas: $49,500

      November 25, 2002

      SOG session. 4-player Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, 4-player Naval
      War, 4-player Bohnanza.
      Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

      Players were Josh, Mark, Lewis and myself. Josh played for the first time.
      Game with instruction lasted about an hour.

      * Josh: 113
      * Vitas: 90
      * Mark: 86
      * Lewis: 72

      Players were Josh, Mark, Lewis and myself. Josh played for the first time.

      Game turned out to be quite dull. It could play itself with the basic
      strategy of destroying anything I could, never damaging ships to less than
      three points left, and always playing the cards that I always have to play
      immediately. Once a player is deprived of a variety of ships, he's bound
      to lose to someone who still has a variety.

      Game with instruction lasted about 50 minutes.

      * Vitas: 41
      * Mark: 27
      * Josh: 25
      * Lewis: 6

      Bohnanza

      Players were Josh, Mark, Lewis and myself. Josh played for the first time.

      Start with a hand, plant beans in one or two fields (two fields maximum),
      draw two cards and reveal them, plant them or negotiate with other players
      to take them (in exchange for other beans would be beneficial), all
      players plant beans gotten at this point, draw three cards, next player
      plays. At any time, a player can cash in their fields for gold. At any
      time, a player can buy a third field for three gold.

      Surprisingly fun fast-paced involving game.

      Game with instruction lasted an hour.

      * Mark: 21
      * Vitas: 21
      * Josh: 16