Unity Games gets some Fool press!

  • Mark J. Edwards
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
      Someone posted a link on Spielfrieks to an article on the Motley Fool
      website about our kinda board games. I started reading it and noticed a
      link to our own www.unitygames.org!

      Check it out at: http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2002/foth021125.htm

      Fool on!
    • Campbell MacInnes
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
        --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Mark J. Edwards" <danger.mouse@a...> wrote:

        > Someone posted a link on Spielfrieks to an article on the Motley
        Fool
        > website about our kinda board games. I started reading it and
        noticed a
        > link to our own www.unitygames.org!
        >
        > Check it out at: http://www.fool.com/news/foth/2002/foth021125.htm
        >
        > Fool on!

        Very very cool. Good article, and always good to see us get a well-
        deserved mention ;)

        --Campbell
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
          Mark wrote:

          >Someone posted a link on Spielfrieks to an article on
          >the Motley Fool website about our kinda board games.
          >I started reading it and noticed a link to our own www.unitygames.org!

          Neat! I just updated the UG webpage this morning to fix some links and
          email addresses and to add a blurb and link to the upcoming Unity Games 5
          event in January!

          daveber@... (New Mail! remove NOSPAM to use)
          No Refuge? No Kidding! -- IKARUGA 020905
        • AndAgainMA@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2002
            Well, what other kind of press would you expect us to get?
            Andrew :)
          • mfselena
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
              "Fool on!" !?

              Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley Fool -- great!

              It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games. Partly because I'm a newbie
              to games, I suspect my article wasn't all that it could have been...
              still, I wanted to do my part to try and spread the infection a
              little, and with any luck I will have turned on a few people to board
              games. I hope others in the media, ideally those with a greater reach
              than me, also cover this terrific topic, as it will be win-win for
              the industry and the new fans.

              Cheers!

              Selena
              (a lurker :))

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
                "mfselena" <selenam@...> wrote:

                >"Fool on!" !?
                >
                >Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley
                >Fool -- great!
                >
                >It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games.

                That's great! The article has drawn some attention both here and
                on Spielfrieks. Nice going!

                daveber@... (New Mail! remove NOSPAM to use)
              • Mark Edwards
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2002
                  Hiya Selena!

                  mfselena wrote:

                  > "Fool on!" !?
                  >
                  > Sounds like a someone is familiar with The Motley Fool -- great!

                  Yeah I've read it on and off over the last year or so. I started reading
                  some of the forums when someone mentioned that David was an avid gamer.
                  There's some good discussion on their board game forum. Too bad they went
                  fee based. :-(

                  > It was my pleasure to plug Unity Games. Partly because I'm a newbie
                  > to games, I suspect my article wasn't all that it could have been...
                  > still, I wanted to do my part to try and spread the infection a
                  > little, and with any luck I will have turned on a few people to board
                  > games. I hope others in the media, ideally those with a greater reach
                  > than me, also cover this terrific topic, as it will be win-win for
                  > the industry and the new fans.

                  Your article was excellent and a great intro for those that are just
                  starting out! Besides, no matter how you try you can't please everyone.

                  Since you're a lurker on our list are you from the MA area? If so,
                  (beware plug for UG V coming!) and you want to learn a lot of new games
                  quickly and easily, Unity Games V is a good place to start. Just a whole day
                  devoted to gaming and socializing. It's a good way to meet lots of folks
                  from the list, learn new games, etc.

                  Mark

                  --
                  Mark Edwards
                  danger.mouse@...

                  If you're interested in board games and are located in the Eastern Mass area,
                  check out Unity Games!
                • mfselena
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
                    Thanks for the welcoming words, Mark!

                    I'm actually planning on moving to Providence in the next few months,
                    from Virginia. So I'm definitely hoping to attend some events, in the
                    hope of fitting in somewhere and making some new friends. (There's a
                    small chance I'll even make it to UG-V, perhaps with my dad, as I may
                    be up househunting then. Of course perhaps I should instead spend the
                    day actually out looking at houses, not playing!)

                    FWIW, I lived in Watertown, outside Boston, for about four years in
                    the '80s, and went to college in Providence, so I'm looking forward
                    to returning to the area.

                    Selena

                    --- In Unity_Games@y..., Mark Edwards <danger.mouse@a...> wrote:
                    > Since you're a lurker on our list are you from the MA area? If
                    so, (beware plug for UG V coming!) and you want to learn a lot of new
                    games quickly and easily, Unity Games V is a good place to start.
                    Just a whole day devoted to gaming and socializing. It's a good way
                    to meet lots of folks from the list, learn new games, etc.

                    > Mark
                  • Mark Edwards
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
                      At 04:31 PM 12/6/2002 +0000, Selena wrote:
                      >Thanks for the welcoming words, Mark!
                      >
                      >I'm actually planning on moving to Providence in the next few months,
                      >from Virginia. So I'm definitely hoping to attend some events, in the
                      >hope of fitting in somewhere and making some new friends. (There's a
                      >small chance I'll even make it to UG-V, perhaps with my dad, as I may
                      >be up househunting then. Of course perhaps I should instead spend the
                      >day actually out looking at houses, not playing!)
                      >
                      >FWIW, I lived in Watertown, outside Boston, for about four years in
                      >the '80s, and went to college in Providence, so I'm looking forward
                      >to returning to the area.

                      That's great! And you'd be moving to Providence at just the right
                      time. They're locking up Cianci at noon today. ;-)

                      We can get you hooked up with some local gaming in no time. For
                      example, there's gaming about 10 minutes north of Providence at my place in
                      South Attleboro every Tuesday night. It's a good group that is more about
                      fun that about competition.
                      There's also open gaming every Saturday at the Arcade building in
                      downtown Providence on Saturdays. Allen and I try to keep the flame lit
                      for board gaming there and Larry, the owner of The Game Keeper, is fun to
                      bs with. On weeknights there's Galaxy Games in Warwick on Post Road that
                      has space for open gaming. I haven't been to a session at Galaxy Games but
                      I've met the owner Steve and he seems real nice. I also believe that Bruce
                      Whitehill, one of the guys who comes to my GSG sessions from time to time
                      and is host of http://www.thebiggamehunter.com/, is trying to get a regular
                      Friday night session going in Warren (east of Providence).

                      Good luck with the house hunting!

                      Mark

                      "Lord, can I go 'round again? Please can I go 'round again?
                      Oh, I can't believe that I'll never see your sky or your trees again.
                      Oh, the girls and the wine and the living were fine, I shouldn't complain
                      but then,
                      You give damned short rides on this fairground of yours, Lord, oh please
                      let me go 'round again."
                      -- from "Go 'Round Again" by Benny Hill