October Top 10

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
      A solid mix of new and old this month, and I'll try to make a
      gratuitous Essen related comment or tie-in to each of them.

      10) Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

      I still thoroughly enjoy this two player game, and I think I may see
      the way for Dark to win. At Essen, I commented to Jay that I thought
      this game was "brilliant", and he scoffed, asserting it was just a
      stratego variant. While this is true, I still think it is a brilliant
      design, even if none of the mechanisms are novel.

      9) Lord of the Rings

      The Sauron expansion got played this month, and it is great fun. I'm
      eager to try it an F&F at the same time. I only wish I knew more
      people who were willing, interested, and experienced at playing this
      game. At Essen, the total number of LOTR games was mind blowing. Wow.

      8) Puerto Rico

      Not much new to say, but it's not getting old. This game had a
      surprisingly small showing at Essen. I geuss the American fervor for
      it is just greater than the German.

      7) 6 nimmt!

      This gets played so much, and is so easy to introduce to new players,
      this is destined for classic status. Plus, I recently got explained
      to me (sort of), the significance of the bull heads, which isn't easy.
      I didn't hear this in Essen, but Amigo claims they've sold over 1
      million copies of this.

      6) Cannes

      Ah, the first actual Essen release. Certainly it shares heritage with
      Roads & Boats, but is clever and novel in its own right. The network
      aspect of it is very nice, though I didn't do it right. A nice Essen
      release.

      5) Too Many Cooks

      A Reiner Knizia direct to America release. This is a fun game, and
      it's got a great theme. There aren't enough games about cooking.
      This was completely absent at Essen, and I wonder why no German
      publisher has picked it up.

      4) Zoo Sim

      Another Essen release. I was worried I wouldn't like this one, but I
      needn't have. The art is beautiful and the gameplay is a nice
      interlocking of several mechanisms (auctions, dominos, category
      domination). I'm interested in trying the "cash flow" variant or
      whatever it is called (described in the rules).

      3) ad acta

      Essen Paper Pushing at it's best. This is the "not actually a
      2F-Spiele" game, despite being sold at the same stand, having
      2F-Spiele level production, and coming in a bright green box, and the
      game name alliteratively matching the authors (first) name. I really
      enjoy this game, though am worried about wear and tear of the
      paperclips on the cards. I also have some ideas for a "board
      enhancement" which may make tracking values of filing a little easier.

      2) Trias

      Continental Drift, the game. This is the "not actually a Doris &
      Frank" game, despite being sold at the same stand, having Doris &
      Frank level production, having Doris art work and having an
      evolution/dinosaurs theme. There are enough interesting strategic
      options here I look forward to playing it a lot more.

      1) Roads & Boats

      This Essen (2000) release finally got played this month. This is
      great fun, and I was pleased to see Cannes does not completely
      supplant it, but instead is an interesting variation on the mechanics.
      At Essen this year, I complimented the Splotter folks on the quality
      of R&B, and they said "Oh good, so you won't be selling it on eBay for
      a ridiculous price", with a slight hint of disapproval at those who have.

      ...Matthew
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
        --- Matthew Gray <matthew@...> wrote:
        > 7) 6 nimmt!
        >
        > Plus, I
        > recently got explained
        > to me (sort of), the significance of the bull heads,

        And the significance is....?

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          Well, nice to hear reports on the new games!!

          I haven't played very many of the new games since Essen but two I can report
          on were the San Marco Card Game (I now forget the real title, it's not
          called that...). I thought it was a fantastic 2P game - giving me the "I
          slice the pie and you choose the piece first" excitement of San Marco but in
          a reasonably fast-paced 30 minute game. I will be picking up 2 decks so I
          can play the 4P partnership variation (I've played 4P partnerships during
          the playtest of this game last year and remember enjoying that as well).

          Although not a new Essen release, I also got to play several games of the
          newish 2P Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation. I enjoyed this quite a bit
          as well - another fast and interesting 2P game with nice components. I've
          seen people argue about the Light Side vs. Dark Side (and which has an
          advantage) but I like the proposed scoring system in the rules - playing 2
          games with each player taking one side, then the other with the score of
          each of these games being related to how many pieces you've got left on the
          board.

          Other than that - October has been one of my lowest months game-wise in
          recent memory. But a lot of old favs have hit the table - Carcassonne
          (still well entrenched in my top-10 of all time), Liar's Dice, Wizard, High
          Society and Samurai. I learned Pueblo last week at SSG and found it quite
          good - a little bit of downtime as players examine the best place to place
          blocks, but even with that downtime we still completed a 4P game in about 50
          minutes.

          daveber@... (New Mail! remove NOSPAM to use)
          No Refuge? No Kidding! -- IKARUGA 020905