SR, incl. Ad Acta and Trias

  • AndAgainMA@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2002
      This is a brief report on the session at my place on Wed Oct 23.
      People present: Adam, Scott, Richard, Carl, Matthew G (back from Essen),
      Andrew (host, and your humble scribe).
      Games played: Battle Line x 2, Wyatt Earp, Trendy, Trias, Canal Grande,
      Knockabout, Ad Acta, Puerto Rico (2P variant), Get the Goods, Samurai,
      Where's Bob's Hat?

      Adam arrived earlier than usual. I suggested Battle Line, a favorite I hadn't
      played for a while (although I've played its older but shorter sibling,
      Schotten-Totten, a few times of late). It was a long game, Adam winning by
      taking his 5th flag after the Troop deck had all gone.

      Scott arrived as we were finishing, and joined the two of us in a game of
      Wyatt Earp. He scored 14 on the first hand, and another 8 on the 2nd. He was
      thus ahead, and declared the winner, when we called the game upon the arrival
      of Matthew.

      Richard and Carl each arrived not long after we started Wyatt. They played
      Battle Line, with Richard winning. He remarked on how worn my BL cards are
      getting. It's true, and I'll be getting another copy once this fine game is
      reprinted.

      The other 4 of us sought a quick game to allow us to synch up with the BLers.
      Matthew pulled out his new copy of Trendy, yet another "drop a card then draw
      a card" game from Knizia (how many are there now?). It was a fun light
      filler, Adam proving the Trendyest.

      (At around this time, the food order produced an unprecedented 3-way tie:
      wraps, dinners, and tuna melts scored 2 orders each. In the drinks event,
      Pepsi beat Diet P by 2 to 1, but each was outscored by Politically Correct
      sodas from Andrew's fridge.)

      Then it was new games time. At the big table, Matthew taught Trias to Adam,
      Carl, and me. Adam has recently described the game and his reaction to it in
      this very group, at:

      I'll just add a brief account of my own reaction. I liked the way the board
      changed as continents split up and, less frequently, recombined. The
      interesting strategic decision concerns concentration of dino herds. Carl was
      at one extreme with respect to this strategy, dominating the largest
      continent throughout the game.

      I was second on this continent, and scored on a few others as well. I
      probably should have tried to combine a couple of these continents and to get
      first place on the resulting largish continent - but Adam might have been
      able to split it to his advantage, especially if he had the right cards.

      Carl won with 22, much of which came during final scoring. Then it was Adam
      (21), Andrew (20), Matthew (19).

      Meanwhile, at the smaller table, Richard taught Scott another of the new
      Essen games: Canale Grande. Each liked it. Richard remarked that it felt less
      like San Marco than he'd expected, given that it is the 2-player card game
      sibling of SM. Both he and Scott enjoyed the game. Richard proved victorious.

      Scott then got his revenge at Knockabout, one of the games from those clever
      chaps at Pair-of-Dice (available now from a game store near your keyboard!).

      The 6 of us sought a couple more games to play (Richard and I each being
      convinced that, for 6, 2 is a better number of tables than 1). We ended up
      with the same 4/2 split as before.

      On the big table, the 4 who'd played Trias played another new Essen release:
      Ad Acta. Thus we moved from dinosaurs to office politics - perhaps not as
      great a distance as it might seem. Once again, I refer you, for details of
      the game, to Adam's account:

      Once again, I'll add a few comments. Matthew taught us the game, then zoomed
      out to an early lead. When the last document was filed, he and Carl had 28
      each, but M won on the tiebreaker of having more "caffeine tablets" (as we
      called them) left.

      He remarked that he liked the queue management aspect of the game. Indeed,
      it's all about queues. The document at the top of your inbox is processed to
      become the document at the top of your outbox. If you process another
      document from the inbox, it becomes the new top doc in your outbox. The
      messenger collects from your outbox, being careful not to change the order,
      and being equally careful to collect from the outboxes in player order.

      As documents are completed, which requires processing by all the relevant
      departments in the proper order, they are filed. They are of course filed in
      strict order. Each file cabinet has a particular capacity, and it matters a
      lot for scoring which cabinet a document ends up in.

      So, if you enjoy tracking in which order documents will hit the cabinets,
      bearing in mind the queueing rules, the action cards that can break them, and
      the likely actions of other players, you'll like Ad Acta. I am, after one
      play, lukewarm, but certainly wouldn't refuse to play again.

      Richard had declared an interest in 2-player Puerto Rico. Scott joined him. I
      think that they played Alea's official 2P variant; they certainly had just
      one board each. Apparently there was little production of the more pricy
      commodities, but there was still a lot of money in the game. Richard won with
      79 (40 shipping, 23 building, 16 bonus) to Scott's 56 (31, 18, 7).

      Scott then had to depart. The other 5 of us cast around for a quick game, and
      hit on Get the Goods. It must have been a good choice, since I won. I should
      admit to being just 1 point ahead of Adam (32 to 31).

      Matthew then headed out. There was talk of playing Through the Desert, but
      Carl is not keen on the game. So we taught him Samurai. There is no escape
      from Knizian tile-laying games at my place! I took the win, on a tiebreaker
      from Adam.

      We decided that we had one more game left in us, and seemed to be in a
      trick-taking mood. Where's Bob's Hat got the nod as more suitable for the
      late hour than some of the other contenders. It was not a close game. Only
      Carl seemed capable of consistently scoring a positive number of points. He
      finished with 83 after 8 hands. I had a mediocre 30.

      There was for a while serious competition for last place, but Adam stuck to
      his negative guns almost to the end, while Richard wimped out and crept into
      positive territory.

      We finished at about 12:30am, almost 7 hours after Adam and I had kicked off
      the session with the first of the Battle Lines. This was BLAH CII (i.e. the
      102nd session at my place). Previous sessions are indexed at:
      http://members.aol.com/kanjigame/SessionK.htm

      Andrew