Question about B20

  • Steve Meuse
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
      Greetings,
      I'm a newbie to the list, and was wondering if someone could
      give me some in-depth information about B20. I live in East Bridgewater, so
      it's rather convenient for me :)
      I've been into gaming for as long as I can remember. My family
      has always played games, with a Sunday ritual of Scat, Yhatzee or Boggle up
      until the time I was about 15. I started to Play D&D in about '81 or '82
      when my DM was finally able to read (true story). I've played Axis and
      Allies and all sorts of other board games. Recently a cousin of mine from
      England came to visit, he was on his way to a board gaming competition in
      Baltimore (http://www.boardgamers.org/), he introduced me to Settlers of
      Catan and I'm hooked. I'm looking to get into some other games, and would
      love to get some suggestions from people.

      Looking forward to your responses.

      -Steve
    • Terry Egan
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
        Steve,

        Rather than go into a long (and very subjective) list
        of games you might want to try, I'd simply recommend
        that you do attend a few B20 sessions. It's a great
        group with a wealth of knowledge about European-style
        or "designer" games. Newbies are very welcome - and
        everyone there is not only willing but usually very
        pleased to teach new games and initiate someone into
        the ranks. In short order, you will have the
        opportunity to try out a great many games and start
        forming your own opinions about them. Just watch out
        for those Magic players upstairs (we generally meet in
        the basement of Cole Hall, beginning around 6:30 or
        7:00 p.m. on Friday nights).

        Hope to see you there.

        -Terry

        --- Steve Meuse <smeuse@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I'm a newbie to the list, and was
        > wondering if someone could
        > give me some in-depth information about B20. I live
        > in East Bridgewater, so
        > it's rather convenient for me :)
        > I've been into gaming for as long as I
        > can remember. My family
        > has always played games, with a Sunday ritual of
        > Scat, Yhatzee or Boggle up
        > until the time I was about 15. I started to Play D&D
        > in about '81 or '82
        > when my DM was finally able to read (true story).
        > I've played Axis and
        > Allies and all sorts of other board games. Recently
        > a cousin of mine from
        > England came to visit, he was on his way to a board
        > gaming competition in
        > Baltimore (http://www.boardgamers.org/), he
        > introduced me to Settlers of
        > Catan and I'm hooked. I'm looking to get into some
        > other games, and would
        > love to get some suggestions from people.
        >
        > Looking forward to your responses.
        >
        > -Steve

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Brian A Joughin
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
          > I'm a newbie to the list, and was wondering if someone could
          > give me some in-depth information about B20. I live in East Bridgewater, so
          > it's rather convenient for me :)

          Holy crap! I grew up in East Bridgewater. NOBODY lives in East
          Bridgewater! Well, OK. The population is probably skewed on UG relative
          to Baltimore, where I went to college, and Cambridge, where I live now.
          But still. Right on, man.

          -Brian
        • Steve Meuse
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
            At 06:17 PM 10/2/2002 -0400, Brian A Joughin wrote:
            > > I'm a newbie to the list, and was wondering if someone could
            > > give me some in-depth information about B20. I live in East
            > Bridgewater, so
            > > it's rather convenient for me :)
            >
            >Holy crap! I grew up in East Bridgewater. NOBODY lives in East
            >Bridgewater! Well, OK. The population is probably skewed on UG relative
            >to Baltimore, where I went to college, and Cambridge, where I live now.
            >But still. Right on, man.

            We're at 13,000 and growing :)

            -Steve
          • ScottH.
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
              --- In Unity_Games@y..., Steve Meuse <smeuse@m...> wrote:

              > We're at 13,000 and growing :)

              Still smaller than your northern neighbor, Whitman! ;-)
              Hope to see you down at B2O soon Steve. You also might want to know
              that geekdom in the form of Amatuer Radio is also represented here.
              Our glorious founder of the Unity_Games list, Dave B. is a very
              active Ham. (He also is into Sorobons(sp?), but we won't go that far
              into geekdom) ;-)

              Welcome to the list!
              ScottH.
              (WB1EYA)
            • Steve Meuse
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2002
                At 02:46 AM 10/3/2002 +0000, ScottH. wrote:
                >--- In Unity_Games@y..., Steve Meuse <smeuse@m...> wrote:
                > >
                > > We're at 13,000 and growing :)
                >
                >Still smaller than your northern neighbor, Whitman! ;-)
                >Hope to see you down at B2O soon Steve. You also might want to know
                >that geekdom in the form of Amatuer Radio is also represented here.
                >Our glorious founder of the Unity_Games list, Dave B. is a very
                >active Ham. (He also is into Sorobons(sp?), but we won't go that far
                >into geekdom) ;-)
                >
                >Welcome to the list!
                >ScottH.
                >(WB1EYA)

                Geeks of a feather, game together?

                I won't be there this week, but I'll try to go next week.

                -Steve
                N1JFU
              • Matthew Horn
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                  N1JFU to you, too!

                  Since you cant make it this week, try stopping by Scholar's in Bridgewater center to check out the kinds of games Dave T. has in stock. This will give you an idea of what we generally play. That way, next friday, you can say, "Hey, Through the Desert looked interesting, anyone got it?".

                  At 02:46 AM 10/3/2002 +0000, ScottH. wrote:
                  >--- In Unity_Games@y..., Steve Meuse <smeuse@m...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We're at 13,000 and growing :)
                  >
                  >Still smaller than your northern neighbor, Whitman! ;-)
                  >Hope to see you down at B2O soon Steve. You also might want to know
                  >that geekdom in the form of Amatuer Radio is also represented here.
                  >Our glorious founder of the Unity_Games list, Dave B. is a very
                  >active Ham. (He also is into Sorobons(sp?), but we won't go that far
                  >into geekdom) ;-)
                  >
                  >Welcome to the list!
                  >ScottH.
                  >(WB1EYA)

                  Geeks of a feather, game together?

                  I won't be there this week, but I'll try to go next week.

                  -Steve
                  N1JFU

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>
                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=763352/rand=810326655>

                • Susan Dohnim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                    If you really want to fit in, make sure that you repeat one of these B20
                    catchphrases at least once a minute. It really doesn't matter whether you're
                    playing the right game or not.

                    "Go Nugget!"
                    "It's just a bucket."
                    "Ryan is a big fat jerk."
                    "Treasure Bath!" (I still fail to see the appeal of this one)
                    "I am SO LOSING this game." -- should be followed by "He is SO WINNING."
                    "Play fast, make mistakes."
                    "Slamwich?"
                    "Blue Horseshoe loooooves Red." -- or -- "SELL, Mortimer, SELL!"
                    "It's statistically impossible."
                    "I can CLEARLY not choose the wine in front of ME."

                    Have I missed any, guys?

                  • Matthew Horn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                      Any Alex Trebek or Office Space references are also allowed.

                      And, of course, bathing is optional but encouraged.

                      Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com <http://messenger.msn.com>

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupweb/S=1705052896:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>
                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2436161.3858594.2225242/D=egroupmail/S=:HM/A=763352/rand=429623237>

                    • Phil Alberg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                        --- In Unity_Games@y..., Matthew Horn <mhorn@m...> wrote:
                        > And, of course, bathing is optional but encouraged.

                        But ya gotta bring your own soap...

                        > "Go Nugget!"
                        I always thought it was Nougat.

                        - Phil

                        "Let the Wookie win"
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                          Matt wrote:
                          > And, of course, bathing is optional but encouraged.

                          And hence the big difference between "oral hygiene required" SSG and B2O.

                          dber@...
                          No Refuge? No Kidding! -- IKARUGA 020905
                        • nix342
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2002
                            --- In Unity_Games@y..., "Susan Dohnim" <bibadoo@h...> wrote:

                            > Have I missed any, guys?