Re: [Unity_Games] [OT] David Crane (and back on topic with some electronic boardgames)

  • Frank Branham
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      Stop Thief in particular is a really good deduction game. Some of the
      early modern hybrids are...ok, and some are quite cool.

      The Omega Virus. Silly light family game, but the taunting voice *IS*
      great.
      Electronic Mystery Mansion. a hint of deduction and great pieces. An ok
      family game.
      Legend of Zagor (uk). Based on the Fighting Fantasy books, and plays
      like an improved TSR's Dungeon game. Actually quite fun, but in the
      same Dungeon sort of stupid way.

      Tiger Electronics did a weird deduction game with a similar style to
      Sherlock Holmes consulting detective. This one has a set of phones
      where you call up and listen to the suspects. In true Tiger style, the
      actual (only 4) cases are actually pretty badly written.

      We also are still looking for a copy of the record to Seance. This was
      the more obscure twin of the more famous Voice of the Mummy. Both were
      simple family games that replaced a deck of event cards with a little
      record player that could play random recordings.

      One of the other kind of cool games is from the 60's....Manhunter. It
      works a bit like Stop Thief but with much simpler components, and punch
      card kind of things.

      Moo
      Frank

      On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 12:25 PM, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

      > It still seems to be that electronic boardgames never really caught on
      > after
      > a fad of them in the early 1980's. Most games are either traditional
      > board
      > and paper or are video games. I loved that era in the 80's where
      > things
      > were being made electronic - E. Battleship, Stop Thief, Dark Tower,
      > etc...
      > I guess Electronic Catchphrase is probably a good modern example of a
      > traditional game in electronic form - and it really is superior in
      > many ways
      > to the old draw-card method.
    • Eric Shultz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        My family stopped playing Stop Thief with me. It
        annoyed them that I knew where the thief was after
        about three clues. My Grandmother used to have actual
        conniption fits.

        I've still got it, though. Checked it out yesterday
        to see if it worked. My kids will end up playing.

        Eric

        http://sbc.yahoo.com