[OT] David Crane (and back on topic with some electronic boardgames)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
      Frank wrote:

      > But you have to promise to drive out into the desert and
      > bury the cartridge.

      Heh! Some guy in Arizona claims to have his house built on the old Atari
      landfill. I'm sure it's a hoax. But just think of those millions of crappy
      ET carts rotting there (does plastic rot? I guess it does at some point!).
      Actually I'd love to have a pile of ET carts or PacMan carts - I've been
      making new homebrew carts recently and those common 4K carts are the best to
      work with when you want to make a real cart from newly released 2600
      homebrew games (yes, several new 2600 games come out each year - some quite
      good from "serious" hobby programmers).

      > Dave....A book called "High Score" showed up on the
      > cheap table at Books a Million down here recently.

      I've seen it around here too... I'll definitely check it out.

      Just one? 3 Atari 2600's here :) (although one is not working quite
      properly, and my debugging skills came up short. I think there is a problem
      internal to the I/O chip).

      > 1 Sega Saturn

      IMO, the best "failed" machine in existence and the machine I play most.

      While none of this is directly boardgame relegated, several UGers are avid
      video game players and at some of the game sessions there has been some
      really fun video game stuff going on (especially GBA which I'd love to get
      if I could only they made the screen a wee bit bigger). Even the venerable
      2600 got a workout last month when we managed several 4P games of Warlords
      with about 8 people rotating in for play.

      It still seems to be that electronic boardgames never really caught on after
      a fad of them in the early 1980's. Most games are either traditional board
      and paper or are video games. I loved that era in the 80's where things
      were being made electronic - E. Battleship, Stop Thief, Dark Tower, etc...
      I guess Electronic Catchphrase is probably a good modern example of a
      traditional game in electronic form - and it really is superior in many ways
      to the old draw-card method.

      dber@...
      No Refuge? No Kidding! -- IKARUGA 020905
    • Frank Branham
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        Stop Thief in particular is a really good deduction game. Some of the
        early modern hybrids are...ok, and some are quite cool.

        The Omega Virus. Silly light family game, but the taunting voice *IS*
        great.
        Electronic Mystery Mansion. a hint of deduction and great pieces. An ok
        family game.
        Legend of Zagor (uk). Based on the Fighting Fantasy books, and plays
        like an improved TSR's Dungeon game. Actually quite fun, but in the
        same Dungeon sort of stupid way.

        Tiger Electronics did a weird deduction game with a similar style to
        Sherlock Holmes consulting detective. This one has a set of phones
        where you call up and listen to the suspects. In true Tiger style, the
        actual (only 4) cases are actually pretty badly written.

        We also are still looking for a copy of the record to Seance. This was
        the more obscure twin of the more famous Voice of the Mummy. Both were
        simple family games that replaced a deck of event cards with a little
        record player that could play random recordings.

        One of the other kind of cool games is from the 60's....Manhunter. It
        works a bit like Stop Thief but with much simpler components, and punch
        card kind of things.

        Moo
        Frank

        On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 12:25 PM, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

        > It still seems to be that electronic boardgames never really caught on
        > after
        > a fad of them in the early 1980's. Most games are either traditional
        > board
        > and paper or are video games. I loved that era in the 80's where
        > things
        > were being made electronic - E. Battleship, Stop Thief, Dark Tower,
        > etc...
        > I guess Electronic Catchphrase is probably a good modern example of a
        > traditional game in electronic form - and it really is superior in
        > many ways
        > to the old draw-card method.
      • Eric Shultz
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          My family stopped playing Stop Thief with me. It
          annoyed them that I knew where the thief was after
          about three clues. My Grandmother used to have actual
          conniption fits.

          I've still got it, though. Checked it out yesterday
          to see if it worked. My kids will end up playing.

          Eric

          http://sbc.yahoo.com