September Top 10

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      It's been October for several hours already, and no other lists yet?
      Well, here's mine:

      #10) Wildlife Adventure

      I really like this game, though find many people consider it lucky
      heavy. Certainly with too many players, it is, but with judicious
      exchanging of cards and other use of travel vouchers, the luck can be
      substantially reduced.

      #9) Evo

      I haven't played this one in many months. I enjoy it with the
      official rules, but am coming around to liking the "missing link"
      variant. I'm still really bad at it, in either case.

      #8) Electronic Catchphrase

      Not much new to say about this, but it keeps getting taken out, and is
      an amusing exercise, if not a lot of "game".

      #7) Alladin's Dragons

      I hadn't played this one in over a year, and I wish I hadn't waited so
      long. I played with two new players and it only lasted 1.5 hours
      including rule explanation. At that duration, this is a great game.

      #6) Euphrat & Tigris

      Yet another one that I haven't played in a while despite liking it a
      lot. In the top 10 of all time for me.

      #5) Mause Rallye

      Extremely entertaining. I just got my own copy, so this may be on the
      list again next month.

      #4) Mole Hill

      I really enjoy this assymetric 2-player game. The first game with a
      new person is always entertaining.

      #3) Squint

      This new "pictionary-with-cards"-style party game is fun, and I'm
      eager to try a "Guesstures" variant where you can do as many or as few
      clues from a card as you want.

      #2) LOTR: TC

      This game is great, though I think the light side has a substantial
      edge. Any tips for evil?

      #1) Geister (aka Fantasmi)?

      I had a friend visit who enjoyed this. We played it 20 times. Some
      very interesting strategy options.

      Given my #1 and #2 games this month, why don't I like Stratego?

      ...Matthew
    • Matthew Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        > What exactly is this variant?

        >> #9) Evo
        >>
        >> I haven't played this one in many months. I enjoy it with the
        >> official rules, but am coming around to liking the "missing link"
        >> variant. I'm still really bad at it, in either case.

        The "missing link" variant is where you auction one fewer genes than
        there are players. This results in higher bids and greater tension in
        the auctions, since someone always goes gene-less. It is called the
        "missing link" variant because one of the cards (under the standard
        rules) allows you to run an auction this way once, and is called
        "Missing Link".

        My main concern with the variant is it reduces the total number of
        genes introduced, which I think may be a problem. I'm considering
        trying a variant where there is one or two gene auctions even before
        the game starts, to inject some genetic diversity into the game...

        ...Matthew
      • Richard Spoonts
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          Matthew,