Re: [Unity_Games] Warning -- can board games be far behind?

  • Mark Christopher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
      On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

      > This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
      > before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...
      >
      > Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
      > or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
      > The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
      > including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on
      > mobile phones.
      >
      > Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
      > games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
      > places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
      > playing or owning games.
      >
      > Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
      > prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
      > online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
      > applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
      > banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
      > Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.

      This sounds like a hoax or exageration. Do you know of a link to a new
      story about it? So far, my web searches come up empty (other than a few
      message boards that say essentially the same thing).

      --
      Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
      torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
        On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

        > Constantine wrote:
        > >This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say
        > >is that shortly before the end of their regime the Taliban
        > >banned chess in Afghanistan...
        >
        > Be aware that this has been discussed on other forums and it is unclear if
        > it is all electronic games or just electronic _gambling_ games where money
        > is involved. There is a big distinction and I've heard conflicting reports.

        Ah, that makes more sense.

        --
        Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
        torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
        www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket
      • Constantine von Hoffman
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
          i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
          found it goofy and gaming related...

          here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

          At 10:34 AM 9/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
          >On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:
          >
          > > This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
          > > before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...
          > >
          > > Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
          > > or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
          > > The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
          > > including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles,
          > and on
          > > mobile phones.
          > >
          > > Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
          > > games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
          > > places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
          > > playing or owning games.
          > >
          > > Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
          > > prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
          > > online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
          > > applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
          > > banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
          > > Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.
          >
          >This sounds like a hoax or exageration. Do you know of a link to a new
          >story about it? So far, my web searches come up empty (other than a few
          >message boards that say essentially the same thing).
          >
          >--
          >Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
          >torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
          >www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket

          Constantine von Hoffman

          www.areporter.com

          617.562.0696

          The plural of anecdote is not data.
        • Mark Christopher
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
            On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

            > i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
            > found it goofy and gaming related...
            >
            > here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

            Cool, thanks!

            Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as harsh or anything. I just get
            irritated when I hear about laws like that. ;)

            --
            Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
            torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
            www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket
          • Eric Shultz
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
              In related news, the board game Puerto Rico has been
              banned in Puerto Rico.

              Apparently, government officials thought the game gave
              people the mistaken impression that Puerto Ricans sat
              around in naturally dyed clothing drinking coffee
              loaded with sugar and smoking a lot.

              The game should really be called "Cambridge, Mass"

              Eric

              http://finance.yahoo.com