Re: [Unity_Games] Warning -- can board games be far behind?

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3 8:34 AM
      Constantine wrote:
      >This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say
      >is that shortly before the end of their regime the Taliban
      >banned chess in Afghanistan...

      Be aware that this has been discussed on other forums and it is unclear if
      it is all electronic games or just electronic _gambling_ games where money
      is involved. There is a big distinction and I've heard conflicting reports.

      dber@...
    • Mark Christopher
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3 8:34 AM
        On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

        > This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
        > before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...
        >
        > Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
        > or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
        > The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
        > including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on
        > mobile phones.
        >
        > Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
        > games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
        > places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
        > playing or owning games.
        >
        > Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
        > prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
        > online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
        > applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
        > banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
        > Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.

        This sounds like a hoax or exageration. Do you know of a link to a new
        story about it? So far, my web searches come up empty (other than a few
        message boards that say essentially the same thing).

        --
        Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
        torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3 8:35 AM
          On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

          > Constantine wrote:
          > >This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say
          > >is that shortly before the end of their regime the Taliban
          > >banned chess in Afghanistan...
          >
          > Be aware that this has been discussed on other forums and it is unclear if
          > it is all electronic games or just electronic _gambling_ games where money
          > is involved. There is a big distinction and I've heard conflicting reports.

          Ah, that makes more sense.

          --
          Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
          torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
          www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket
        • Constantine von Hoffman
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3 8:39 AM
            i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
            found it goofy and gaming related...

            here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

            At 10:34 AM 9/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:
            >On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:
            >
            > > This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
            > > before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...
            > >
            > > Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
            > > or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
            > > The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
            > > including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles,
            > and on
            > > mobile phones.
            > >
            > > Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
            > > games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
            > > places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
            > > playing or owning games.
            > >
            > > Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
            > > prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
            > > online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
            > > applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
            > > banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
            > > Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.
            >
            >This sounds like a hoax or exageration. Do you know of a link to a new
            >story about it? So far, my web searches come up empty (other than a few
            >message boards that say essentially the same thing).
            >
            >--
            >Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
            >torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
            >www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket

            Constantine von Hoffman

            www.areporter.com

            617.562.0696

            The plural of anecdote is not data.
          • Mark Christopher
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3 8:45 AM
              On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

              > i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
              > found it goofy and gaming related...
              >
              > here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

              Cool, thanks!

              Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as harsh or anything. I just get
              irritated when I hear about laws like that. ;)

              --
              Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
              torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
              www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket
            • Eric Shultz
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3 9:33 AM
                In related news, the board game Puerto Rico has been
                banned in Puerto Rico.

                Apparently, government officials thought the game gave
                people the mistaken impression that Puerto Ricans sat
                around in naturally dyed clothing drinking coffee
                loaded with sugar and smoking a lot.

                The game should really be called "Cambridge, Mass"

                Eric

                http://finance.yahoo.com