Warning -- can board games be far behind?

  • Constantine von Hoffman
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
      This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
      before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...

      Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
      or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
      The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
      including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on
      mobile phones.

      Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
      games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
      places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
      playing or owning games.

      Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
      prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
      online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
      applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
      banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
      Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.

      Constantine von Hoffman

      www.areporter.com

      617.562.0696

      The plural of anecdote is not data.
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
        Constantine wrote:
        >This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say
        >is that shortly before the end of their regime the Taliban
        >banned chess in Afghanistan...

        Be aware that this has been discussed on other forums and it is unclear if
        it is all electronic games or just electronic _gambling_ games where money
        is involved. There is a big distinction and I've heard conflicting reports.

        dber@...
      • Mark Christopher
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
          On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

          > This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say is that shortly
          > before the end of their regime the Taliban banned chess in Afghanistan...
          >
          > Thousands of British tourists in Greece are unknowingly facing heavy fines
          > or long terms in prison for owning mobile phones or portable video games.
          > The Greek government has banned all electronic games across Greece,
          > including those in home computers, Game Boy-style portable consoles, and on
          > mobile phones.
          >
          > Law Number 3037, enacted at the end of July, explicitly forbids electronic
          > games with 'electronic mechanisms and software' from public and private
          > places, and people have already been fined tens of thousands of euros for
          > playing or owning games.
          >
          > Internet cafes are allowed to continue to operate, providing all gaming is
          > prohibited: if a client is found to be running any sort of game, including
          > online chess, the café owner will be fined and the place closed. The law
          > applies equally to visitors from abroad: "If you know these things are
          > banned, you should not bring them in," said the commercial attaché at the
          > Greek Embassy in London -- who declined to give her name.

          This sounds like a hoax or exageration. Do you know of a link to a new
          story about it? So far, my web searches come up empty (other than a few
          message boards that say essentially the same thing).

          --
          Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
          torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
            On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Dave Bernazzani wrote:

            > Constantine wrote:
            > >This is a true news item found on ZDNet. All I can say
            > >is that shortly before the end of their regime the Taliban
            > >banned chess in Afghanistan...
            >
            > Be aware that this has been discussed on other forums and it is unclear if
            > it is all electronic games or just electronic _gambling_ games where money
            > is involved. There is a big distinction and I've heard conflicting reports.

            Ah, that makes more sense.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
              i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
              found it goofy and gaming related...

              here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
                On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Constantine von Hoffman wrote:

                > i wasn't really meaning to start a long serious discussion on this. just
                > found it goofy and gaming related...
                >
                > here's the link: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020903/152/d8rcm.html

                Cool, thanks!

                Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as harsh or anything. I just get
                irritated when I hear about laws like that. ;)

                --
                Mark Christopher | "If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not
                torrin@... <*> | to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if
                www.io.com/~torrin | the thing is cats." --Lemony Snicket
              • Eric Shultz
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 3, 2002
                  In related news, the board game Puerto Rico has been
                  banned in Puerto Rico.

                  Apparently, government officials thought the game gave
                  people the mistaken impression that Puerto Ricans sat
                  around in naturally dyed clothing drinking coffee
                  loaded with sugar and smoking a lot.

                  The game should really be called "Cambridge, Mass"

                  Eric

                  http://finance.yahoo.com