Matthew's Monthly Top 10

  • Matthew Gray
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 8:07 AM
      Another slow month with only 30 games played (21 unique), but still
      enough for a top 10:

      10. Tutanchamun (1 play)

      My feelings on this game seem to alternate. Sometimes I really enjoy
      it, and others I am left feeling like it is a bit dry. Like many
      Knizia games, it's all about picking your battles carefully.

      9. What's That On My Head? (1 play)

      A solid, fun deduction game. I keep thinking about ways that one
      might make some interesting variants. Idea: Each player has a hand of
      cards which they choose one of to be the question asked/answered by
      the player on their left. Too much?

      8. Electronic Catchphrase (2 plays)

      Beep beep beep. This is almost as fun "two player" as it is with a
      group, though more of a pass time/exercise than a game. I want a
      version you can sync with a PC to upload your own
      wordlists/categories.

      7. For Sale (2 plays)

      I don't get to play this nearly as much as I'd like, but whenever I
      do, win or lose, it's a great game. Just the right amount of
      calculation, bluff and doublethink.

      6. Showmanager (1 play)

      I hadn't played this in almost a year, and I'm glad I pulled it out
      again. I'm glad it's not about something silly like boats.

      5. TransAmerica (2 plays)

      It continues to be a fun ride, and there's definitely some skill,
      though one may max out that skill after a few plays. It also is quite
      fun with 2 as much as it is with 3-6.

      4. Acquire (1 play)

      I played this, and carefully advised the new players to carefully
      manage their cash flow, at which point I promptly ran out of cash, and
      got crushed. I actually enjoyed it a great deal with 3 players, which
      I don't think I'd ever tried before.

      3. 6 nimmt! (2 plays)

      A great game, and I played my closest ever game this month. The
      winner had 40-something points and 2nd through 4th all had scores in
      the 60's.

      2. SpinBall (4 plays)

      I've got to keep playing this otherwise I'll get out of practice, and
      I'm already bordering on embarrasingly bad. I just need more
      consistency.

      1. Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (3 plays)

      I was wary of this one based on some early comments, but I should
      learn that while Knizia may not be for everyone, almost universally,
      it is for me. While I've only gotten a few plays in, I'm itching for
      more, especially to try to figure out what good dark strategies are,
      since that Frodo is pretty slippery, I think the light side is easier
      for novices.

      ...Matthew